“Couldn't have asked for a better experience!”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #56 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 6, 2009

My husband and I have nothing but praise for this hotel. The entire staff was friendly, courteeous, and catered to our every need. The concierge desk is fabulous and knew the answer to every question. They were very helpful in booking tours ,etc. The housekeeper took great care of us and brought us extra towels and pillows with a smile. We were fortunate enough to be here over July 4 and our room on the 26th floor had a commanding view of the spectacular fireworks display! Be sure to request an odd numbered room so you face the Ben Franklin Parkway and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. This hotel was within walking distance of most sites and I felt very safe walking around alone while my husband was in a chess tournament. If we come back to Philly, this is where we will stay! The bed was super comfortable too.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,766)

Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton City Center for a friend's wedding. In fact, the majority of the guests and the bride and groom stayed there. The problems began upon checking in and did not end. First, the hotel had the wrong dates for our reservation. They immediately corrected the error, which I appreciated.

However, when we arrived in our room, it was unbearably hot (it was about 85 degrees outside, and the A/C clearly was not on and had not been on for hours) and reeked of smoke. We cranked up the A/C and called the front desk to ask whether we had been put in a smoking room. We were told that the entire hotel was non-smoking, so we asked that housekeeping be sent up to do something about the smell. More than an hour later, housekeeping had not arrived, so we went down to the front desk to ask again. No one ever showed up to deal with the smell. Luckily, if we blasted the A/C, the smell was less noticeable.

Our first evening in the hotel, we called "Customer Service" and asked if we could get a corkscrew brought to the room. Customer Service transferred us to Room Service, and we made the same request. Room Service tersely told us to go down to the bar and get one ourselves! To make matters worse, a few hours later, the fire alarm went off. It turned out to be a false alarm. The next night, however, we were not so lucky.

At 12:45 am (2 hours after the guests all returned from the wedding and were attending the after party or already asleep), the fire alarm went off again. This time, after about 10 minutes of listening to the alarm instructing hotel guests to remain in their rooms, we were evacuated from the building. We then stood on the sidewalk across the street from the hotel for close to 2 hours in our pajamas (my friend in her wedding dress!). We were not told what was going on as the fire department arrived and started setting up the hoses. When the bride managed to track down a hotel employee to ask about her elderly grandparents who were on the fifth floor and could not make it down the stairs, she was yelled at to get across the street.

At 2:30 am, we were finally allowed back into the hotel, and word circulated that one of the elevators had a problem, which caused smoke to fill the elevator shaft and leak onto the floors. The false fire alarm the previous night was likely caused by the same elevator.

The one positive thing I will say about our stay was that the hotel did not charge any of the wedding guests for their rooms the night of the evacuation. However, that was only after the bride's aunt had it out with the hotel's managers. One of the managers went so far as to rudely announce to a number of the wedding guests at breakfast (which the hotel begrudgingly offered free of charge) that she was going "above and beyond" and was clearly not happy about it.

I would never recommend this hotel to a friend purely based on its lousy customer service and lack of care for the rooms. Emergencies can happen anywhere; it's how the staff handles one that matters, and the Sheraton City Center failed that test.

2  Thank Caz1221
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Stayed for a one night getaway and booked via Priceline for $56 - it's classified as a 3.5* hotel in downtown Philadelphia. Check-in was somewhat of a disaster - girl who checked us in barely said a word to us and put us in room 1633 - 2 double beds. Got into the room fine, but went back out for a couple of hours and came back and our keys didn't work. Went back and they said we never checked-in! After some convincing, the front desk (re) checked-us in to the room we were in and gave us breakfast coupons to make us for our issue.

Rooms are just OK. Clean, but beds are not that comfortable, they still have tube TV's and the ac/heat unit is very loud and goes on and off intermittently. Bathroom is typical hotel bathroom with Bliss amenities. No mini-fridge provided, although there is a spacious work desk for the business traveller.

We had a drink in the hotel lobby that night - $6 for an Amstel, $10.50 for a Bailey's on the rocks. Lobby bar is nice enough. We had breakfast the next morning at their Terrace restaurant with our coupons for the buffet. Fine and typical hotel breakfast buffet. It's apparently normally $15/pp.

There is an indoor swimming pool on the 3rd floor which we did not utilize. Location is decent. We walked straight down 17th Street to the Rittenhouse Square area for dinner and drinks that evening - about a 10 minute walk.

The elevators are really, really slow...

It's not a bad place, nor is it great. For $56, it is worth it. Although that ac unit kept me up the entire night, so if I had a choice, I don't think I'd stay here again.

1  Thank mccarthys5
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Had no problems at check in, agent was friendly and accomodating. I showed my SPG (starwood preferred guest) card and were given welcome bags for both myself and I which included a bottel of water, a granola bar and coupons for restaurants. A nice touch. Our room was kind of a mix of old and new. The rug looks like it could be updated, still had an older t.v. and there was a slight cigarette smoke smell(most likely due to being an older hotel). We were woken at just b/4 midnight on the 1st night of our stay due to a hotel alarm that was going off, they resolved this within a half hour. Fortunately the beds are so comfortable that we were able to go back to sleep right away. The pool looked great although we never got a chance to use it, they did have a nice area for sunbathing right next to the pool. They had a sizeable # of workout equipment such as weights, treadmills and bikes but the area was right in the hallway on the way to the pool. Unless we missed it I saw no locker rooms or whirlpool. There are a couple of restaurants on sight as well as a lounge area just off the lobby. The location itself was fantastic as it was close to a number of attractions. I did receive an email a couple of days later thanking me for our stay which may be a canned response becuase I'm a SPG member. I would have been more impressed if I got an email apologizing for the inconvienice of the alarm going off. The hotel is billed as a 3.5 star (mostly becuase of the on site amenities) and I think with a little work they can achive that but for right now they are a solid 3*.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank nichan
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I thought for the money I paid this was truly amazing. Admittedly I did pay about half the going rate... Room was excellent. Roomy, comfortable, great central location. Breakfast extortionate - didn't eat at hotel (except for buffet lunches)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We booked our room for two nights in mid-June for a relaxing get-away weekend. When I got into line to check in, I was behind an exasperated family who had been through 3 rooms because of issues. My thought was that it was unfortunate and that they must be too picky...my mistake. It was foreshadowing.

Our first room had horrible, dirty stains all over the carpet and the pipes whined when the toilet was flushed. Room two was clean enough but the A/C didn't work. After a 6 hour drive, our third room was decent enough that we were able to rest. The front desk did offer us one free breakfast buffet ticket as compensation for our troubles.

I know that room maintenance was not the problem of the front desk, but it is the hotel’s responsibility to keep up the rooms. I am very disappointed and will not book there again.

3  Thank CentaurNC
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I was able to book this hotel the day of my stay for $57 through Priceline. Yes! I stayed for a weekend as I was attending an event at Penns Landing, which was about an $8 cab ride from the hotel.

The location of this hotel is just perfect for everything, late night eats, Walnut Street shopping, downtown, you name it. The room was nicely appointed (although it's weird that each day there were only 2 bath towels for the room - isn't there usually four?). The pool only accommodates 15 people, the workout room was huge for a hotel, and the staff were friendly (save the one guy concierge who seemed put out to, erhm, DO HIS JOB).

This room was available for the weekend on sheraton.com for $99 and it would have been worth it even at that price.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends