“Had a lovely stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #51 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Woodbridge, New Jersey, United States
“Had a lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2005

After reading some of the reviews, I nearly cancelled my reservation, but decided that I would give the hotel a chance, having a backup plan in place. I am so glad I didn't cancel. I spent a weekend here with my two younger children. First of all, I must say every staff member I had any contact with was polite and very helpful. I ordered room service twice, my children enjoyed the pool and basketball court, and I even got above and beyond assistance from a bellhop who brought me a bucket of ice for my son who hurt his finger playing basketball. Check in was quick even though the lobby was very crowded. Being a ByRequest member, I had express check in and out. Room service food was delicious, service was prompt and courteous. We were even greeted several times in the hallways and at the elevators by housekeeping and hospitality staff members. I found the room to be clean and in order, everything was in working condition, plenty of towels, pillows, etc. The location of this hotel is very convenient to museums and you can get to the historic district, downtown, and Penn's Landing quite easily by riding the Phlash trolley for $1.00 per boarding or $4.00 per day, unlimited boarding. The Phlash stop is about a block away, and service arrives every 12 minutes. In closing, I am happy to say that we had a lovely stay at this hotel and I would definitely stay here again when visiting Philly.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank Beth R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2005

I stayed at the Wyndham with my family for an overnight trip to Phila. The room was quite nice and recently renovated. The pool and workout facilities are pretty grim, but the pool was ok was fine for the kids to splash around in. My guess is that they are still to be renovated. We had to call for extra towels in our room and they were delivered immediately. Otherwise the staff was perfectly competent. The bellman referred us to a great place for breakfast, Yonny's, around the corner from the hotel, which allowed us to skip the overpriced buffet. Location was great for the museums and chinatown. Altogether, I found it much better than most reviews suggest...and I'm pretty picky.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 57_Mercator
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2005

* - VERY rude and unhelpful staff and management.
* - I was given the key to a room which was occupied. The staff was unaware that the room that they had assigned me was already assigned!
* - The fitness center was an atrocity and the locker room was downright institutional.
* - We had to call 4 times in order to confirm an appointment. The rude and incompetant staff was to blame for this. I have yet to experience a hospitality staff which was more uninterested in doing thier jobs.

This hotel was the worst hotel experience that I have had to date. YMMV but probably not by much.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2005

I recently stayed at the wyndham because we had a conference in that hotel so I didn't want to worry about getting to and from another hotel. I was really surprised, the rooms were disgusting! There was actuallya spot of poop on the bathroom floor! I placed a towel over it and called housekeeping and they never got it completely clean! There was sticky gunky stuff on the alarm clock and phone and the carpet was nasty although it looked like it was relatively new. The tv volume never could be adjusted the staff gives the impression that they are just barely tolerating you when you ask a question (the conceriege no less). Best thing is they pour decent drinks in the lobby bar, don't even think of eating here the prices are $13 for a hamburger! anyway I could go on but why should I? ... just go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JLAR
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2005

I did a priceline and got a room for $50 which is a good deal however the room I was given was unfinished. The walls were not completely painted. The staff was indifferent. The hotel is also not well situated for walking around Philadelphia. Finally the parking is expensive, $18 a day. Overall, I would not stay at this hotel.

Detroit, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2005

As mentioned in the title, it's worth what I paid for the room, but no way would I spend more. The bed and room temp were comfortable. I've definitely stayed in much worse places, but my room had a weird smell, was extremely dry, had a used washcloth in the tub from the previous tenant, and the remote control didn't work too well. I also had the early housekeeping issue; they tried to come into my room at 8:30AM on the day I was supposed to check out! On a more positive note, I was commuting to UPenn, and compared to the $170 a night that a guy I knew was staying to stay a block from campus, this hotel was a GREAT deal. It was about a $10 cab fare to the campus and a $25 fare to/from the airport.

2 Thank snowchick77
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2005

We waited for an hour in line to check in, only to be told that the room would not be ready for another hour. After that hour passed, we stood in line again and were told that housekeeping had not yet reported that the room was ready, but that the desk clerk would gladly check for us. The desk clerk left (there were three desk clerks and a line of about 20 guests still waiting to check in), and returned 15 minutes later to tell us the room was ready. She sent us to a room that was completely unfinished, no beds, no phone, no lightbulbs in the lamps - completely unfinished. After another hour of arguement, we finally were able to speak to a manager who did take care of us very well, though our entire day was wasted by incompetent and rude staff. I would never stay here again.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member