“The worst experience I have ever had at a hotel”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #56 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2005

We waited for an hour in line to check in, only to be told that the room would not be ready for another hour. After that hour passed, we stood in line again and were told that housekeeping had not yet reported that the room was ready, but that the desk clerk would gladly check for us. The desk clerk left (there were three desk clerks and a line of about 20 guests still waiting to check in), and returned 15 minutes later to tell us the room was ready. She sent us to a room that was completely unfinished, no beds, no phone, no lightbulbs in the lamps - completely unfinished. After another hour of arguement, we finally were able to speak to a manager who did take care of us very well, though our entire day was wasted by incompetent and rude staff. I would never stay here again.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,714)

Reviewed February 5, 2005

Well, it's the first and last time I'm booking with Hotwire. They gave gleaming reviews on their website, however, concern set in when I read these reviews. Believe me, I tried to go in with an open mind, however, after stepping in the room all I wanted was a can of Lysol. The windows appear to have never been cleaned, several of the towels had hair, Yes Hair, on them, miscellaneous debris was on the bathroom floor (I know, gross), a small fridge was hooked up to an outlet on a lamp because the cord didn't stretch to the wall and the walls are paper-thin. I'm not sure if other rooms had the same problem but the TV picture was flipping on occasion for several channels. I read many reviews where they said the staff was rude, however, they were pleasant during my stay. I was only hear for a night and it's something that is most certainly bearable (unless you're a germ-phobe) but, had I stayed there for a longer period of time I would definitely consider going to another hotel.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank majackl
Reviewed February 3, 2005

We are big Wyndham fans and like that we can always get this one for about 69 a noght. We go to Philly to go to clubs and have a goodtime. Our last stay was disappointing in as much as the pool and jacuzzi that were supposed to reopen were not done yet. Also both mornigs we were rudley waken up by housekeeping storming into our room at about 9.30am. We are by request memebrs and have until 2pm to check out ans as it is check out there is 12pm. We complained and the hotel gave us a certificate for a free night at any Wyndham in the world.
On other styas we have had billing problems where we have been charged for things that were not ours and unfortunately could not get them removed from out credit cards.
Also on a side note we found that when we drove in with our Jaguar we were treated much better byt he bellmen then when we pulled in driving our suv. I even mentioned it to them and they stuttered but truth is they treat you based upon what you drive in with.

3  Thank babuandsandra
Reviewed January 3, 2005

We were not impressed with the Wyndham at Franklin Plaza!

The people were rude, not knowledgeable of what was in the area and the staff was not available (they did alot of socializing between themselves and very little with their patrons).

Since our stay we have been back to Phily and have stayed at other hotels in the area. Grant it, the lobbies did not compare to the Wyndham, but they were CLEANER and MUCH MUCH FRIENDLIER!!!!

It was okey if your expectations are for an average Motel 6 (no, Motel 6 would be much more warming and friendly).

6  Thank Donna E
West palm beach, FL
Reviewed December 29, 2004

This was my second trip to Philadelphia and I’m very sorry that I stayed at this hotel for this trip. In walking into the lobby the hotel looks really nice. The rooms were nicely decorated and we had an Ok view. We had to call downstairs THREE times to get them to fix the toilet, it kept getting clogged up. We weren’t using a huge amount of toilet paper either. After the third call I asked them to give us another room. The other room had a horrible view but the toilet worked.

They have a buffet in the morning so my husband went down to bring up food back to the room. I wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want to join him. He was given a hard time by a manger about bringing food back to the room. I guess your not allowed to do that. We did try the room service and unless you LOVE steak don’t bother for dinner. There really isn’t anything on the menu but 5 different kinds of steaks. The prices are insane too. I know room service is pricey but this was crazy!

There aren’t a lot of places to walk to around the hotel either. There was only one restaurant nearby (TGI Fridays). It was hard to find places to eat outside of the hotel. Not very many tourist places to walk to either. At one point we needed a cab and their weren’t any downstairs. You would think that the people at the front desk would call one for you but they didn’t. We had to walk around until we saw one drive by.

On our third night there we ordered pizza from room service. We got a sausage topping and when I opened the box I saw that they had used BREAKFAST sausage as the topping. I couldn’t believe it. It was the same sausage that they have at the buffet. That was the last time I ate at the hotel.

They do have an indoor pool that is nice and a pretty nice work out room too with lots of equipment. Internet service is also available but 10.00 for 24 hours only.

Parking was also a problem. We rented a car for a day and parked in the parking garage that they have. It costs 20.00 for up to 12 hours. They decided to charge us for the entire time assuming that we had the car for 7 days. I had to show them the receipt from the rental place only to be given and attitude. We also needed a late check out on our last day and that was a major problem. We called the night before to tell them and were called the next day 3 times to ask us if we knew we were supposed to leave today. I told three different people that we did know and that we were checking out late. Housekeeping came to our door several times also. When we did go to check out we were asked very rudely why we were checking out at this time. I explained what happened and was told “whatever.”

The ice machines weren’t working for most of our trip as well as the soda machine but that happens at a lot of hotels. We stayed on the 23rd floor and soon found out that that was the hang out floor. There was always someone from the staff laughing and running back and forth at all hours. I’m pretty sure that housekeeping is not cleaning rooms at 10PM but there was always someone up on our floor. I’m not an overly picky person but I was not impressed at all. I honestly would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying at the Holiday Inn again when I go back in April. The only good point of this hotel is the indoor pool but that doesn’t outweigh all the issues that I had.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 16, 2004

I stay at the Wyndham every year for five days for a convention.

The staff is generally very helpful although the building itself, is a 1970's cast concrete structure unhappilly sited on a huge wind-swept (conrete ) plaza. It can be instructive when you want to show your children about the unfortunate results of urban renewal projects which completely ignore the scale of the surrounding area.

HOWEVER It's the Wyndham ownership's sad attempt to make people use their tenant-restaurant that drives most of us out of the hotel for dinner.

FURTHERMORE, the Wyndham has their own excellent full-service restaurant that USED to be open until 10pm. Now it's closed in the evenings in favor of a very uninspired SHULA's.

SO if you want to eat IN in the evening Shula's is your only choice. The menus are printed on footballs and their whole presentation is geared toward people who are easily impressed: 22oz steaks and larger, potatoes that are 12 inches long (but grossly undercooked) and a limited (albeit overpriced) menu selection. The waiter shows you the cuts of raw meat on a roving cart. A LIVE lobster is on display too --right out in the open next to the saran-wrapped beef. His pinschers are rubber-banded together and all water is out of reach.

BUT THERE'S A SOLUTION: Go to one of the many outstanding Philly restaurants! Or for convenience AND good food WALK out the back door of the Wyndham to the St. George Restaurant (1422 Race St.)

ST. GEORGE
They're open 24 hours and they LISTEN to your requests about how you want your food done. Their menu reflects an intelligent kind of experience AND they stock a full bar!

On your way there notice the neighborhood: 2 and 3 story masonary-construction buildings built primarially between 1860 and 1925. (A tiny bit of what makes Philadelphia really unique!)

PS For the record, Restaurants in Shula's RESORTS should not be confused with Shula's Restaurants in Wyndham Hotels. The resort restaurants are quite satisfactory with a much broader, more continental menu.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 8, 2004

Although the hotel had recently been refurbished, the decor was drab and depressing. The lobby was as dull as ditchwater and there was no feeling of 'specialness' anywhere in the hotel. I'm definitely not staying there again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member