“Great location, loved walking to the beautiful parks in the morning!!”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 20, 2004

We often come to Philly to see a concert, play or just for a weekend away. We were a little apprehensive about the area, but once we got settled in and were able to walk around the city, we just loved the location. The place is updated, clean and the staff were very accommodating. We had breakfast at this hotel, and although it was somewhat pricy, it was terrific...we are planning on coming back for our quick getaway..

Write a ReviewReviews (2,735)

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 21, 2004

What a nightmare! The Wyndham Hotel at Franklin Plaza in downtown Philadelphia was the worst experience I’ve ever had in 20+ years of vacationing. We stayed during July 4th 2004 weekend. Here are just some of the things that happened:

§We took advantage of a “Buy one night, get one night free” offer from their website. Upon checking in, the counterperson had no knowledge of it.

§We reserved a King size bed but were given two doubles instead. The counterperson never acknowledged their mistake, he just rudely said “we’re full’.

§The internet offer stated we would receive free tour info, tickets, maps, CD etc., which we never received at check-in. After asking a mgr about it, she said it would be in our room within 30 mins. A day and half later still not there and never received it.

§Requested extra towels in room but never received them.

§Called the front desk to ask a question about the area. The female who answered was laughing loudly into the phone. When I asked my question she hung up. When I called back she gave me the information I asked for but didn’t apologize.

§Noise from the hallway kept us awake both nights.

§The hotel looks fancy on outside and in lobby, but rooms are aged, smell musty and have wallpaper/furnishings from the 70s.

§At checkout, we were double charged on our bill ($265 error). When I approached the person at the counter, he rudely interrupted, yelling we would have to wait in line behind 10 customers waiting to check in. After waiting in line, he turned out to be a mgr. He stated he took the charge off but didn’t apologize for their mistake.

§Of course, upon getting home and checking my credit card, the extra charge was still there. I called to ask for a mgr and ended up leaving a voicemail, no return call. I called back and spoke with another to no avail. Two days and 3 messages left later, the second mgr called back and sarcastically asked how could she help me and what was my name. She put me on hold and then the first mgr picks up begins to defensively argue that I didn’t have to call back, she had to research it. She said the charge would be taken off today, 3 weeks later. We’ll see if it is.

The hotel mgmt and people I spoke with on phone not only failed to correct their deficiencies, but were rude and unapologetic. I travel a lot and can tell you they have no clue what customer service is. They are a very diverse hotel… take from that what you will. The employees I interacted with were incompetent and uncaring. Definitely not worth the money. If you want a nice hotel downtown, try Embassy Suites or Four Seasons across the street.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Murphy, NC
Reviewed July 16, 2004

Absolutely fabulous!! Amazing stay!! All staff we encountered went out of their way to assist us. Bellmen, front desk clerks, everyone was really great. The room was great, the view was incredible. Even left us a complimentary bottle of chardonnay in our room. This place is a wonderful place to stay.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2004

My husband and I stayed here in June while he attended a conference that was held at the Wyndham. This hotel has a lot going for it:

1) Great location! It is a short walk to the PHLASH pickup on which you can ride around to all the "touristy" places with unlimited on/off privileges for $4.00 a day (or $1.00 for each ride, if you are using it less than 4 times). It is the best deal in town! If you prefer to walk, it is not a bad walk to the museums, restaurants and shopping. We flew in and didn't rent a car and that was the best decision we made. No need for one here, and the times that we did take a cab, they were very inexpensive compared to those in other cities we have visited.

2) Great front desk staff and concierge. Check in was a breeze. The staff members were attentive to their guests and really quite helpful. They stayed patient even when they were swamped.

3) Our room had a great view of the Center City area.

4) Great price.

And a lot going against it:

POOR ATTENTION TO DETAIL IN HOUSEKEEPING!!!

Our room smelled bad (I couldn't quite figure out what it was though). One of the pillowcases had makeup and mascara stains on it when we checked in. It didn't look like it had not been laundered, just that the stains didn't come out upon laundering and they just went ahead and used it anyways (we didn't!).

It was anyone's guess how many towels would be in the room in any given day. One day we arrived back in the room to only one towel, and that had a huge mascara stain on it. Another day, to no towels! In their defense, though, when I called housekeeping they immediately sent up a stack of clean towels on both occasions and even followed up with a phone call to make sure that we were satisfied with the response. (It was no longer than a 10 minute wait, probably closer to 5 minutes.)

I ordered a cup of coffee at the lobby lounge and it arrived with a lipstick stain. I had to wait 20 minutes before the waitress came back around to ask for a fresh cup, and another 10 minutes for it to arrive.

The room itself showed signs of wear, so I am sure that we were not in one of the renovated rooms. It didn't look "dirty", but there were things like coffee stains on the chair and carpet, etc.

We chose to not eat at any of the restaurants of the hotel, there are several other local places within walking distance, all with very good food.

To sum it up, I have to say that even though there were some problems, the hotel staff was very responsive to any complaints that we had, they did make things right for us, and in a reasonable time period. The bad thing is that these were all things that could be easily prevented with just a little more attenting to housekeeping procedures, they were the types of things that as a hotel guest you shouldn't have to "ask" for, especially not at a "Wyndham", and that made it disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank sometimetravels
Reviewed June 29, 2004

I can't understand the recent glowing reviews of this hotel--it makes me wonder. Front desk was nice, I asked for and received one of the renovated rooms on a high floor with a nice view. The renovation was poorly done--unattractive plum colored carpeting and uncomfortable easy chair. There were crumbs under the chair and many hairs around the sink. Although the view is nice, the windows are high, so you can only enjoy it when standing. Phone charges are the worst I've ever encountered-- 95 cents for local and 800#calls for 5 minutes only--after each 5 minutes you are charged another 95 cents. This makes connecting to the internet very expensive. Lobby and hallways are cold looking, unattractive, and uninviting. Although my 1 night stay was fine, I would not choose this hotel again--there are too many better hotels in Philly.

Stuarts Draft, Va
Reviewed May 30, 2004

My family stayed at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza on May 27 and 28. Our room was spacious, newly refurbished, spotless and had a great view. All parts of the hotel that we saw were clean and well maintained. Although, the elevators were very busy, we experienced no long waits. The staff was friendly and helpful. I felt this hotel was very good value for cost and I would stay there again.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2004

The good: friendly staff in all areas, bellman was helpful, front desk went out of their way to enure a pleasant stay, concierge always pleasant and knew the answers, and some of the friendliest housekeeping staff ever. The Bad: average location several blocks from anything a leisure traveler may want to see. Also, video check-out did not work on a morning when there were large group movements in and out of the hotel. The Ugly: the rooms were bland, depressing and generally dirty (guess that's why the housekeeper was so friendly - to compensate). But all in all, the price was substantially lower than other center city hotels and ultimately you get what you pay for!

Thank Ryan.W