“Adequate, but nothing special...”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #56 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 29, 2004

I can't understand the recent glowing reviews of this hotel--it makes me wonder. Front desk was nice, I asked for and received one of the renovated rooms on a high floor with a nice view. The renovation was poorly done--unattractive plum colored carpeting and uncomfortable easy chair. There were crumbs under the chair and many hairs around the sink. Although the view is nice, the windows are high, so you can only enjoy it when standing. Phone charges are the worst I've ever encountered-- 95 cents for local and 800#calls for 5 minutes only--after each 5 minutes you are charged another 95 cents. This makes connecting to the internet very expensive. Lobby and hallways are cold looking, unattractive, and uninviting. Although my 1 night stay was fine, I would not choose this hotel again--there are too many better hotels in Philly.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,763)

Stuarts Draft, Va
Reviewed May 30, 2004

My family stayed at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza on May 27 and 28. Our room was spacious, newly refurbished, spotless and had a great view. All parts of the hotel that we saw were clean and well maintained. Although, the elevators were very busy, we experienced no long waits. The staff was friendly and helpful. I felt this hotel was very good value for cost and I would stay there again.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2004

The good: friendly staff in all areas, bellman was helpful, front desk went out of their way to enure a pleasant stay, concierge always pleasant and knew the answers, and some of the friendliest housekeeping staff ever. The Bad: average location several blocks from anything a leisure traveler may want to see. Also, video check-out did not work on a morning when there were large group movements in and out of the hotel. The Ugly: the rooms were bland, depressing and generally dirty (guess that's why the housekeeper was so friendly - to compensate). But all in all, the price was substantially lower than other center city hotels and ultimately you get what you pay for!

Thank Ryan.W
Reviewed April 24, 2004

I stayed at the Wyndham in Philadelphia on business in March. Although my expenses were paid and the cost of the room for my company was very low (not sure why it was so low - 119/night) the place was disgusting. Room service dishes were left in the hallway for my entire stay (2 nights). The ceiling above the bathtub was peeling and the water pressure in the shower was almost nonexistent (had to stand directly below the shower head for about 5 minutes to rinse my hair and I am not Fabio). It must have been opposites day on Captain Kangaroo because the hot water in the shower was actually COLD - I mean freezing. The tv remote required a VERY gentle touch - otherwise the tv would scan through about 8 stations before settling on one for a while. The power on the remote did not work. The internet service was spotty at best. There was no convenient outlet for the iron, although this is a problem at most hotels, not just crappy ones. The hotel charged $15 each day to use the fitness center. The weight machines were dated, the paint was peeling, and the treadmills were about 20 years old and half of them didn't work. If you are going to charge, then you need to provide decent equipment. The overall appearance of the hotel was very dated. The location was great (in so far as the conference I was attending was at the hotel) but otherwise this hotel has no redeeming qualities. I am not sure what the regular room rate is, but I assume it is not cheap. I would recommend spending your money to stay somewhere that actually seems like it should cost a fortune, like the Ritz in Philly. It is definitely worth the extra money.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2004

Recently attended a seminar at the Wyndham. The outside temperature was around 70 degrees. The room was so warm we all had trouble staying awake. After several requests by the trainer, the hotel staff did check the thermostat, and found it was set on "heat" instead of "cool." When we came in the second day, they hadn't even replaced the used water glasses - they simply removed the dirty ones. The fingerprinted candy dishes were even emptier then they were the first day. The second day, the room was too warm all over again. We did eat lunch at their restaurant one day, and the food was good, although we had a "drive-by" waiter.

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled on business
NYC, NY
Reviewed March 29, 2004

Where to start: no outlet for the coffemaker. Nowhere to plug computer in. Broadband service was intermittent, no counter surface in the bathroom, shower stall that floods, bed gave me a rash, service was abysmal, room service takes 2.5 hours.

Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed March 21, 2004

...and I've stayed at better.

After reading earlier reviews, I was prepared for the worst. (We booked
the Wyndham because it was the convention site for my wife's
organization, and she was being reimbursed for everything.)

Here's what we found:

1. Generally friendly, but slow response to all requests and problems.
A few of the problems:

---brown stain on a sheet at check-in (front desk eventually brought up new sheets; we agreed to change them ourselves to avoid further wait for housekeeping)...and no, the stain probably was something permanent like shoe polish or hair color.

---the new sheets were too short to completely cover the bed. This ticked me off, but since we are all fairly short, it didn't affect us much. Nevertheless, there's no excuse for this. This seems to happen at a lot of places.

---only 2 sets of towels, even though they knew in advance we were a party of 4.....and this happened each night we were there. Eventually (hours after our call) they brought more up. This kind of problem is rampant in hotels these days.

---some moldy grout in the tub/shower area...not the worst problem, but this has been noted in other reviews here

---one temporarily malfunctioning elevator (again, a problem noted by others) which wouldn't move after the doors closed. This only happened once, but everyone piled out, eager to use another elevator.

---erratic remote control for the TV. Replaced by a maintenance man after our call.

---we wanted a room with a good view, but ended up getting a lousy view...oh well...

We really didn't find the hotel to be dirty or *horribly* maintained. But there certainly was a lack of attention to details and slow response to our needs.

2. Not a bad location, really, especially if you want to see the
museums. We walked as far east as the Constitution Center, and as far
south as the Mutter Museum. Also took in a public program at the
Friends (Quaker) Meeting House a couple blocks away. We left the car in
the garage and walked, even though in/out privileges are free with the
$17+ per day self-parking. (Parking is cheaper at nearby lots and
garages, if you want to haul your bags.) We bought a City Pass to save
money on several attractions.

3. Pizza/sub shop, Little John's is four blocks west at 21st and Race,
and has *great* chicken cheese steaks. I think they deliver. There's
another pizza place, Rex, much closer, but we didn't try it. Reading
Terminal Market is about 6 blocks southeast and has a great selection
of cheap food, but closes at 6pm.

Overall, the hotel wasn't nearly as bad as earlier reviews had
indicated, but then, we didn't pay a dime to stay there. Our group rate
was $118. I would consider staying there again on a personal trip if I
could get a really good deal through Hotwire or Priceline.