“A slightly long walk to the convention center”

Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had to knock off points for location, noise and price. I am guessing location and security affects the limited on street entrances into the building. Two entrances for a building that takes up half a block is a bit inconvenient. Distance to the convention hall is walk-able too far to be convenient. The door does not block out noise from the hallway and on a couple evenings, there were extended late night conversations in the hallway that was a tad noisy. This is a pricey place to stay.

Kudos to the staff. They are friendly and eager to help. The concierge gave good advice on where to eat and places to visit. Hospitality kept our rooms clean. We had a room facing Logan Circle which from the 25th floor was a nice view. Other things I liked was that it was easy to call for a taxi. The television allowed for external HDMI input which if you have to work is nice when you have a wireless mouse and keyboard. Elevators are quick both in how quick they arrive and how quickly they get you to your floor.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer T, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear jvsabas,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Please accept our most sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations during your stay. It looks like we missed the mark in a few different areas and we will certainly use your feedback to address any deficiencies. We hope you give us another chance if you return to Philadelphia in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I was here for a professional conference, and stayed for 6 nights. The amenities and service were both lacking. You would think they could spare a tiny fridge and in-room safe at this price- $199 per night single room conference rate. The room was fairly spacious, though noisy from all of the street traffic. Since there was all of that noise as well as noise from a nearby elevator, I requested a room change to a room further from the elevator. I was told that the only available rooms were on lower floors and that the street noise would be even worse. So I stayed put on the 14th floor.

The first night, housekeeping had forgotten to provide a bath mat for the floor, but they corrected it the next day which was fine. However, housekeeping did not replenish the tea bags sufficiently. So I was out of luck on having some morning tea on my departure day. Front desk service was fine. But the restaurant staff is downright unfriendly, not happy to see customers, and acting as if they are doing you a huge favor to provide service. Maybe they feel put out by all of those pesky customers. It would be nice if they would adjust their attitude.

The Starbucks coffee place inside the hotel is only open in the morning, so if you want any coffee later in the day, you cannot get it there.

All in all, poor value for money, and I would recommend staying at a nearby hotel instead.

2  Thank greeny-7

Dear greeny-7,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience at our restaurant. We will certainly share your feedback with our food and beverage team to address any deficiencies. We hope you give us another chance if you return to Philadelphia in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

My stay at the Sheraton was fair only. I have traveled all over the USA attending the AOM conferences, stayed at many hotels and I am a bit disappointed at the quality of the Sheraton Hotel. My expectations of such as brand were surely not fulfilled.

My worst experience was having to complain about the poor condition of the Pool which had moss in certain corners (especially near the steps to enter the pool)... really unfortunate. This could be a health hazard. I had chosen the Sheraton because it had a pool and gym facilities.

The AC is very very noisy and in 2014 you need to install more quiet units for the comfort of your guests.

Finally, I reported the condition of the pool to a manager who promised to get back to me the same day, but never did. I suppose he may not have taken my concern very seriously.

I have worked in the hotel industry and know that excellent customer service involves following through on your promises to guests.

The room attendant who serviced my room was a very diligent and nice lady... compliments to her!

For a supposed top brand hotel such as a Sheraton and the price per room, one would expect much higher levels of service.

1  Thank Harmonist2014

Dear Harmonist2014,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay. Many of the concerns mentioned were unacceptable and certainly manageable on our end. Please know we have shared your experience in details with the Leadership team and feel assured that distinct measures have been undertaken to deter any future reoccurrences of this nature. We hope that you give us another chance if you return to Philadelphia.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

The staff at this hotel are truly outstanding. They are very friendly and outgoing. They do their jobs quickly and well. They make guests like me feel appreciated. The physical plant is an embarrassment. The carpets in the lobby and my room were in need of replacement. My room lacked a TV remote control and desk lamp. Both were promptly replaced when I called the desk (although I never had a remote that actually worked). The shower head's pipe wasn't anchored. The door to my room (and the door of every other room I saw) had major paint chipping and gouges that made it look like it was repeatedly jimmied. That said, surprisingly, none of the rooms have safes (and this is ostensibly a convention hotel). With more than 1000 fellow conventioneers in the hotel, almost no one used the bar or restaurant, which shows those services need a major overhaul.

Room Tip: East side views are largely blocked by a building in the next block.

Dear Jerome K,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. You certainly highlighted a few areas for us to look into and we look forward to making any necessary improvements. We hope we have another chance to host you in Philadelphia.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband, my son and I came and stayed four days at this hotel, because of the week long convention that took place the second week of July and the place was full. My husband went inside the hotel to register as I went to park the car. Just as I walked inside I could not find him and my cell phone died so I could not called him so I asked the concierge was there any pay phone nearby. While the other gentleman tried to help me by charging my phone, the concierge asked did I made any reservation and who did I came with, and I explained to him. He ask the gentleman to move me from the front desk and had me to stand across the lobby. I felt that he was watching me to see if I was a guest and not a prostitute or someone from the street. I hope I did not look that bad. I understand that they do have be careful about who goes into that hotel. When we finally got our room it was clean but not like what we expected, especially for the rates they charged. To me the beds were comfortable but the shower was lousy. My husband thought the refrigerator and the microwave was already in the rooms but it didn't. They charged us an extra $20 to have mini refrigerator, and no suites in the building have them unless you request it. It took 24 hours to get the refrigerator cold, and they do not provide any microwave which made me mad because I had some fried chicken that I want to heat up. They told me that they have one guest microwave which was in the cafeteria on the 25th floor and I will have to use my keys to get in. Our room was on the 5th floor, and we have to go ALL the way up to the 25th floor just to heat up some chicken. But when I tried to open the cafeteria's door with my keys it wouldn't work so I have to eat my chicken cold. I cannot see what makes this a luxury hotel but except for the large beautiful lobby. There are some hotel that will accommodate much better at a lower rate and refrigerator and microwave included. This hotel serves two types of breakfast, the one upstairs on the 25th floor is free. That one do not have many selection at all. The eggs had no flavor even when you add salt and peppers and it had too much water. No sausage or meat so my son just had one strawberry and a bagel but the views from the top floor is beautiful. But when we went downstairs to the other breakfast area at the restaurant, the food was very good with many selections but one is not free and you will be over charged. They do have a buffet. As I was waiting for my shuttle bus that same concierge almost got beat up in front of everybody, and everyone was scared for him. He almost got beat up because he approached one of the guest the wrong way by hitting him. But the guest did fell asleep so the concierge thought he was from the street . Just because something is more expensive does not always mean it's better.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank werehog

Dear werehog,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. Please accept our apologies for what you have experienced duringyour stay; we certainly hold ourselves to a higher standard than what you have mentioned. We will share your comments with our team and make sure to make necessary improvements. We hope we have another chance to host you in Philadelphia.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a center city office event at this Sheraton, coordinated with Brad Nuss the Food & Beverage Director, OUTSTANDING attention to detail and customer care experience! The location of the hotel is easy access, the food was great, the room was perfect. Special thank you to staff, James and Jerry, for your upbeat attitudes and great service!

Dear IM P,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel! We can't wait to share your great comments with our Food & Beverage team. We can't wait to connect with you again soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Let me start by saying that my main priority is a comfortable bed and a clean bathroom. The Sheraton delivered on both but after that - rapidly downhill experience. Don't bother ordering room service. Horrible food and very limited menu - half of what was on menu was not available. The Bistro restaurant is also to be avoided. Slow service and bad food. Thankfully, hotel is surrounded by many restaurants and the concierge has a list as well as walking directions. Gold star for that idea. The staff is certainly friendly and tries to be helpful, but unfortunately does not make up for a hotel that should live up to the brand name. Would not stay here again and do not recommend.

1  Thank Ginger G

Dear Ginger G,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations during your latest visit. Many of the issues mentioned are certainly manageable on our end, and we look forward to using your feedback to improve our Food $ Beverage services. We hope that you give us another chance if you return to our city.