“It Could Have Been Better”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I recently stayed at the Philadelphia Sheraton Downtown Hotel. Room was fairly average, nice size for a downtown hotel and the bed was comfortable. Decor was a bit worn but no major issues with cleanliness. Check-in into the hotel was very poor. Front desk was overwhelmed and need more staffing. The hotel was full that night, but it really is not an excuse when you know that you are at full occupancy...hire a few more people to take care of your customers. I was not able to get into my room at check-in time and they said they would call me to let me know when a room was ready - which they never did. When asked for wi-fi access while I waited in the lobby, I was told that I couldn't get wi-fi access until I had a room number. This was a very tough way to start my visit to Philadelphia. The lone saving grace to the check-in process was an upgrade to a room with a view and a free wireless internet pass for the night in my room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Paul B, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Toobs1,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Please accept our most sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations in regards to your check-in experience. We will share your feedback with our management team and look forward to using your feedback to make necessary improvements. We hope to connect with you again soon.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,735)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I travelled to Philadelphia for business this January and had a great experience at the Sheraton Downtown. My return flight was cancelled due to a nasty storm, and I ended up staying an extra day. The hotel was very accommodating. The concierge, Mary Mastrobuoni, was especially helpful, and her restaurant recommendations are spot-on. If I return to Philly in the future, I will return to the Sheraton Downtown.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Paul B, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Jennifer J,

Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel! We're glad Mary was able to make such a positive impact on your stay, we'll be sure to recognize her for her efforts! We hope to connect with you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We had a 3 nights stay at the hotel and it was simply great. Very good price for the room size and its location only 5 mins from the city center. For the Liberty bell etc it was a 15 mins walk, about the same to the area with lots of bars/restaurants. The room was clean, service at the reception was great. Even the quite pricy breakfast was worth its price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul B, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Geza S,

Thank you for your great review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel! We are glad you had such a pleasant experience and hope to host you again in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

This Sheraton is definitely better than what I was expecting. I stayed several years ago and don't remember it being as nice as it is.

The staff- Generally fantastic! My first greeting at the Front Desk (tall guy, maybe named Hamid?) was very friendly for it being morning! This did not quit as all the rest of the Front Desk matched his friendliness. He was willing to let me work up in the Club Lounge while my room was cleaned and that was much appreciated after a long flight.

Nicole Miller in the restaurant downstairs was super friendly! We walked in one nite pretty close to food being shut down for the evening and she could have been grumpy about not wanting to put in an order, but she was the exact opposite. She also helped pick out a cocktail that ended out being pretty good.

Manager Paul Bolhuis was also fantastic! He shared with me some insights into how they will do some renovations to the rooms (which are needed but not in a dire type of manner- they just need some update). He also quickly allayed a strange incident that occurred swiftly and professionally.

The housekeepers while I was there were so friendly and always smiled and said hello as I walked to the elevator...

Lobby is nice and open. You can tell there have been updates in this space. As I said, the rooms are passable to good, they just need a bit of an update. With that, this hotel will really position itself better in this great city. (Clean bed and bathroom; toilet was a little slow and ran a LONG time!)

One note I shared with the Manager that he agreed with was the Club Lounge could be enlarged- even just by blowing out one room. It is way to small for a hotel this size. Breakfast could also be enhanced in there as well. If you want to meet arguably the sweetest staff member at this location, you may have to get Club Level access to meet Elsie. She deserves a raise!

I'll stay here again, for sure!

Dear GlendaleCA,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel! We are always thrilled when an experienced traveler such as yourself leaves us such reassuring feedback. We hope to see you back in Philadelphia again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I want to extend a shout-out to Candace, a housekeeper, during our recent stay for the annual AERA conference in Philadelphia. I had a migraine and absolutely needed sleep and quiet. Candace expressed her concern and did not pressure us to get out of the room so she could clean (which has happened to me at other hotels as I worked on a paper or presentation). During the next few days she also asked me how I was feeling. I felt her concern was genuine. Thank you.

Room Tip: The beds were comfortable, bottled water was free in the room, and the downstairs computers had free...

Dear Stephanie W,

Thnak you for your wonderful review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel. We're thrilled that Candace was able to make such an impact on your stay and look forward to recognizing her. We hope to see you again soonr!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have never been so disappointed by a SPG group hotel as much as with this one. The rooms are old and smell damp/moist. The hallways even more so. I am not exaggerating but as I stepped out of my room on the 16th floor this morning, the damp/moldy smell was so overbearing that I thought of complaining right away! The air conditioning is from the bygone era with a small and loud wall unit trying to heat/cool the entire room and managing to only do so for half of the room. The view is that of a parking lot and a building with cars going in and out. As a SPG Platinum member, I am used to being offered the best available room regardless of what I had booked and according to the front desk lady, she had "upgraded" me and that makes me wonder how a normal room would be. The linen is not nice - rough and coarse and the bed is definitely not the usual Sheraton Sweet Sleepers. The complimentary breakfast at the lounge is a joke - the oatmeal was stuck to the pan and caking as if it was lying since 6 AM with no one having bothered to refresh it. Very few other choices and no where as nice/appetizing as a Marriott. I should have stayed at a different SPG property or a Marriott. Can't wait to check-out tomorrow and be on my way home :) Never again at this hotel!

Room Tip: Go for a Marriott or 4 points by Sheraton near by! But if you're set on this hotel, go for a hi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PM-DEL-82

Dear PM-DEL-82,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Please accept our most sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations during your stay. Many of the situations mentioned are certainly not to our standards and we look forward to using your feedback to address them.

The hotel will begin renovations of our guest rooms and corridors in the next few months and are very excited to have a vibrant new product for all of our guests to enjoy. We hope you give us another chance if you return to Philadelphia in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Other reviews describe this hotel as "tired" and they are spot on: the room was dowdy and the carpet has a feeling and appearance of ingrained dirt. The bathroom likewise- a mixture of the 1970s style décor and poor sense of scale. In all, not a hotel I would wish to return to

1  Thank Chris H
Paul B, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Chris H,

Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel. We are dissapointed that we were unable to meet your expectations during your latest visit. The hotel will begin renovations of our guest rooms and corridors in the next few months and are very excited to have a vibrant new product for all of our guests to enjoy .We hope that you give us another chance if you return to our city.