“Less value than Comfort Inn.”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #56 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Bathroom ventilation does not work, nor checkout by TV. I stayed 5 days of which two days had to queue up for elevator as 2 of 6 elevators were out of commission. Very good location to museums, convention center, and Reading Market. Concierge offers good suggestion of eateries within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2013
Robert E, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Ele81946,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent experience at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests and I am very sorry that we were not able to do so for you. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to two of the elevators being down for renovations, as well as the bathroom ventilation & television check-out not working properly. I will forward your concerns to my Director of Engineering to ensure that these things get taken care of. Thank you again for your time, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you the next time your travels take you to the Philadelphia area.

In Hospitality,

Robert Epstine
Assistant Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,768)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Rooms were comfortable and housekeeping good. Front desk had helpful staff but systems a bit clunky and not easy to meet our requirements.

The star was concierge Mary Mastrobuoni who went out of her way to get things done for us. She went above and beyond what was required to help one of our party get travellers cheques changed, and got our other requests handled quickly and efficiently. With not a lot of time in town this was really helpful.

Room Tip: Get above floor 17 if you want a view west!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Davidfromlanark,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to recognize Mary, our concierge, for the care that she took in assisting a member of your party, as well as yourself. We will share your comments with Mary and I’m sure she will be thrilled to be recognized for a job well done. We look forward to serving you and your party again the next time your travels take you to Philadelphia.

In Hospitality,

Robert Epstine
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Front desk employees were very nice and respectful, particular Curtis, who made our stay comfortable and was very considerate! There was also a very nice woman who help us book our shuttle to the airport. Great service

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were in town for the Electric Run 5K (that ended up being cancelled at the last minute) but stayed two nights to make a weekend out of it. Check in wasn't bad & we had our room keys pretty quickly. The room was nice & cool, bed was comfortable & clean & there was a bottle of water & Starbucks coffee. The bathroom door wouldn't latch, though & upon trying to take a shower after we returned from the cancelled 5K, it was either super hot or super cold.. no in between. There are no refridgerators in the rooms (at least the room type we had) but we knew this after reading online so we had a small cooler that we kept taking to the ice machine to fill up. The pool & fitness center were nice & there were always taxis outside waiting. We ordered Domino's delivery one night, ate at the Subway just a block up from the hotel & the one night went to Mace's Crossing for a few drinks. It was a small little hole in the wall place but they were very friendly & the prices weren't bad at all! All of the staff we ran into were extremely friendly. We were on one of the top floors & had a great view of the city.. overall it was a wonderful stay aside from the couple of bathroom issues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high to see a great view of the city!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Travelling from Ireland to Philly for the YMCA convention, it was my first time back to the city for ten years, so I was excited. What I hadn't banked on was the massive change in currency exchange facilities at hotels in the States. I had several American Express US dollar travellers cheques, and the hotel was not able to immediately give me dollars as would have been standard years ago. One guy at the desk had said to me that a Travelex would be open on Saturday- which it was not, so I went back to the desk and found Mary. She was brilliant, and went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out. First she tried phoning several banks to see if any were open locally (they weren't) and eventually she phoned a cash checking store in South Philly who said they would accept them (at a hefty fee but I had no other option!) She was frustrated on my behalf that what should have been an easy simple transaction (as it used to be) had turned into a major ordeal. So, she actually drove me all the way to cash the cheques herself involving a lovely and unexpected tour of South Philadelphia! It is wonderful that the true meaning of 'customer service' still exists in the City of Brotherly Love. Mary also helped me and my colleagues book tours on our downtime, and always smiled and waved when she saw us pass through the lobby. She made a regular stay at the Sheraton GREAT.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

You can walk to almost any location in Center City if you're in descent shape. Yes, the reviews about stains on the carpet, the place needing some TLC are all accurate, but the staff makes up for it. Every single staffer was courteous and friendly. It does look like they're doing some renovations. You might bump into a character or two on the streets adjacent to the hotel, but I think it's a safe neighborhood. Philly police very present. It's a great bargain hotel on Priceline, but even if I paid their retail, still think its a good deal. I'd easily stay here again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We are SPG members who normally stay at the Westin when we are in Philly (which is, by the way, impeccable). However, we are traveling with our toddler and chose this hotel because we knew the pool would be great for our family.

I know Sheratons are normally a step below the Westin, and the facilities themselves fit this pattern. They are worn. The hotel is under renovation, so maybe that will help. However, there are serious housekeeping issues here that could go a long way in making the hotel feel more comfortable and restful. For example, the pool area was piled high with used towels-- send someone in there to empty the dirty towels more often so guests aren't looking at a mountain of wet, used towels. Our first room (we asked to be moved for night 2) seemed to have barely been cleaned before we checked in -- the window sill was so dusty that I cleaned it myself. The shower wouldn't run separately from the tub, and there spots where the carpet was peeling up. After we checked into a better room, we also realized other housekeeping details in cpcomparison -- the first room had only half the toiletries, for example. And one water bottle with no tag/seal on it. The ottoman for the chair was missing. Little things, but definitively contributed to a shoddy feeling that was confirmed when we saw a room that was cleaned more thoroughly. Then, that made me really notice how sloppily the common areas also seemed to be cleaned. I kind of started fantasizing about supervising the housekeeping staff because of what a difference it could make in the overall impression of the hotel.

The pluses were decent location, a clean, great gym, a friendly staff (though others seem to have had a different take on that), great views, and a friendly concierge.

We will probably go back to the Westin as our mainstay.