“Great stay over the Fourth” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #51 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Toronto, Canada
“Great stay over the Fourth”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Spent 4 Nights at this Sheraton, and was very impressed with the location. Walking distance to Rittenhouse Square area, with ample dining option. $6 cab to Historic District. Hotel ballrooms are under renovations, but noise was minimal, and didn't impact stay at all. Staff were helpful and courteous, accommodating our request to have adjoining rooms. Pool went from dead to busy to stiffling. Didn't use the workout room, but it looked very modern and clean.

Nice bonus on last night was the view of the Art Museum, and the Fourth of July fireworks, from our room. Saved having to compete for space with a hundred thousand friends on the Parkway.

Room Tip: High room overlooking Art Gallery will present you with a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I only stayed in the hotel for one night - so I don't have much to comment on. But I did use the Concierge, and Mary Mastrobuoni was a phenomenal help! I just wanted to give her a shout out b/c I really appreciate her help in the midst of not having a phone charged, needing to store my luggage, having to book bus tickets and grabbing a bite to eat nearby. Thanks Mary!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

From the check in, I had a bad feeling about my 5 night stay. The extremely slow pace at the front desk was only matched by their indifference. The manager, who sauntered through periodically to interrupt, and delay any progress being made led the wore the same scowl, every time I saw him. There was NEVER a time, day or night, that someone wasn't waiting at the front desk with an issue.
The rooms were as tired as they were dirty. I now know why they hype the views of the city from many of the high floors. It's to keep you from looking at the rooms.
The staff, housekeeping, and bellmen must take their cues from the front desk as the attitude is just awful. It's like watching zombies work. It was obvious that, save for a couple of folks, no one wanted to work there. My co workers best described it as feeling like we were in an old age home, and not one of the nice ones.
Can't wait to not stay there again

Room Tip: tip would be to stay in a room that overlooks this hotel from a distance
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Check_Please123
Apollo Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Highlights: Room is clean and bed is nice, location is close to meetings I have tomorrow. On the downside...no real restaurants in walking distance, the lobby restaurant is under rennovation, common areas are beyond a bit tired. Check in service was poor, at best. For single travellers I would for sure not exit the hotel after dark, likely you would not feel comfortable alone outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: minimal views, i would say be above floor 10 to have any view, lower floors may have obscured views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldTravelRod
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I am a frequent traveler and am in the U.S. Navy. I have frequented many Sheraton Hotels and this was by far the worst experience. The hotel was undergoing renovations and most of the elevators were in-operational therefore forcing most guests to use the stairs. This is quite a feat with luggage. The breakfast buffet featured hard pancakes, rubbery sausage, and cold scrambled eggs. I checked out and received a printed and emailed invoice. Upon my return I discovered I had been double charged for my stay. I have called the hotel over 20 times and have left several messages with the front desk. I was hung up on 6 times and "disconnected" 4 times. My credit charges have not been refunded. I have 2 invoices that were emailed to me that reflect my correct charges and the extra night charge and additional parking charge. This has been my worst experience with customer service at any hotel, in any city, and any country. I was so dissatisfied that I will endeavor to post my remarks on Trip Advisor, Expedia, Booking, Hotels, Yahoo, Facebook, and Google Plus.

Room Tip: Be wary of staying in higher floors, the elevators are not always operational and you will have to u...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Colette L
Auburn, Washington, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a coworker and I was disappointed in the lack of cleanliness standards of this hotel. Both my coworker and I requested new room immediately (the only reason this is a 2 and not a 1 overall) after walking into our rooms. Between the two of us there were multiple stains (of Lord knows what) on the walls and carpet. There was a section of about 6 feet of carpet in my coworkers room that was visibly coming up off the floor, her comforter had a grease stain like it had gotten stuck in a bicycle chain, my bed looked like it had been made up by a 5 year old, and smelled like smoke. The rooms we were moved to were better but not as far as what I have come to expect from Sheraton and in particular from being a Starwood member. On my last day after the room had been "made up" by the staff I found two dirty bath towels (not mine - I never used that particular size towel) that reeked left on the too desk and chair. How does that happen? It happens by a staff who doesn't care - that's how.

Disappointing stay at a tired hotel with in an unengaged staff. I will not be stayin here again and I would advise you not to as well. Starwood/Sheraton you can do better.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Chris B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Living in Jersey City, NJ we were forced to evacuate the day after Hurricane Sandy. Given the large number of people displaced by the storm, we were late in the game as our neighborhood was evacuated more than 24 hours after the storm.

The Sheraton was gracious in not only accepting us, but our two dogs that also needed to travel with us.

We truly had a remarkable experience here, not only was it great to have a warm place with hot water and my whole family could be together but it also provided us the opportunity to really have a stay-cation of sorts and casually stroll Philly during the day and night.

Our unfortunate situation turned into a pleasure because of the Sheraton and their high level of attention provided us. They were very gracious about extending our stay (and discounted rate) as we needed until our neighborhood was available to us again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family