“Its sure to loose sheraton flag soon”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #56 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

It seems to be an old building which is poorly maintained. The rooms are smelly due to old carpets.

Restaurant service is average. Room service is exceptionally slow.

It possibly is a good transit hotel for a day stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. It is regrettable that your stay was not a pleasant one. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight area of improvement. It is troubling to me that your stay was not satisfactory at all. I would like you to contact me so we can discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.
Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,714)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel during a work conference. I also used it's banquet and meeting room facilities for a work meeting. The hotel was had a range of options and offered everything we needed. Staff was extremely accommodating. Rooms were comfortable,very clean and updated. This is a great solid hotel if the location meets your needs. I can't say anything negative about my experience there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words. We will pass along your compliments to our team members. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

No free wifi is a bit of a disincentive for business travellers. Very good central location , comfortable hotel. Could do with a make over . Need a showering facility at the pool area I think.
Enjoyed the food and service was very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of renovating our hotel. We do offer many corporate rates that have the internet included. At this present time we do not have a shower in our pool area. We are trying to make our hotel stand out amongst the best in our city.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Nice room, helpful staff and a really good crab cake sandwich in the lobby restaurant. This is my 8th time staying here over the years and this was my best experience yet. On nagging issue is the continual charge for internet service. It's 2013, Sheraton, and realize that this kind of service is more important than some lame landline in your room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RainCityCouple

Thank you for your review. We would also like to thank you for your loyalty to our hotel. If you ever have any problems in the future, whether it’s the internet or any other issues please feel free to contact the Manager on duty. We will go out of our way to keep you a loyal guest of our hotel. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is our second time staying at this hotel. The best part about this hotel is that it is close enough to walk to a lot of places in the city. If you don't mind walking alot. They are doing some construction right now so the lobby is not a nice as it can be but that is expected. The first room they put us in smelled like smoke and so they moved us. They moved us to a room a few doors down and it smelled fine but the beds were both hard as a rock. There was not a lot of noise and that was good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank krisencalade

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you blessing us with another visit. We are currently trying to make our public areas more appealing. Our Terrace Cafe and Ballrooms are being completely renovated. I’m sorry to hear that our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed was not as comfortable as it should have been. We hope that you will keep staying with us when you visit Philadelphia.
Reagrds,

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked a room at this hotel for the weekend of June 15, 2013 to participate in the Color Me Rad event in Philadelphia. We arrived around noon although check-in was not until 3 pm. The hotel desk informed us upon arrival that our room was indeed ready which made us happy. We were given our room keys and told we were on the 26th floor - the top floor! I couldn't wait to see what kind of view we would have from our room.

As we made our way down the hallway towards our room, housekeeping was bustling about cleaning other rooms. We found our room and as my husband was sliding the key through the lock, I said 'please let this room be nice' (we've had some real doozies, believe me). As we went to open the door, we realized that the inside security bar was firmly against the door, indicating someone was in our room. We tried again and knocked, no answer. My husband then went to retrieve the housekeeper to see what was going on as we had been clearly told by the front desk that our room was ready. The housekeeper tried our key and made an attempt to open the door, but the inside security bar kept her from doing so. She then indicated that someone was definitely still in the room. She called out but there was no answer and the silence on the other side made me start to wonder. Off she went to get Hotel Security. We stood in the hallway waiting for him to arrive and within 5 minutes he was there standing with us. He too tried to open the door and again, no luck. He called into the room and no answer. So then he made a decision to try and kick the door open. No such luck. He said he would have to call Maintenance and have the door opened for us and said it may be awhile and escorted us to the Club Lounge which was on the same floor. The Lounge was currently empty and being restocked but he told us to help ourselves to any beverage or snack while we waited. I was more engrossed with the view of the city from the 26th floor which looked down upon Logan Circle and the fountain. Breathtaking! And excited because I knew our room was on the same side so the view would be just as spectacular.

I had no more than finished taking a picture of the view when Hotel Security arrived to say our room was now available to enter. It had only taken less than 5 minutes to fix the problem. We eagerly went back down the hallway and entered our room. It was a nice clean large room with nice furnishings and a very comfortable King bed. Bathroom was large and clean (thank goodness!). Amenities were plentiful including a new shower scrubby still in wrapped plastic.

Once we dropped off our luggage and freshened up, we decided to find a place for lunch. In the lobby we asked the Hotel Concierge on suggestions and he gave us many within walking distance. Off we set on foot and explored the next several blocks of the city. After lunch, we spent several hours wandering about and found ourselves in the Reading Terminal Market only a few blocks from our hotel. This is a must see when visiting Central City. Jam packed with all kinds of food vendors and markets of fresh fish, baked goods, farm fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers, ice cream, chocolates, spices, --you name it. They even had a small wine store that had tastings.

Our evening at the Sheraton consisted of dining at the hotel restaurant, Phillips Seafood. Everyone there treated us very well and catered to our every need. We both looked over the menu and decided to go with the special prix fixe menu for $35 pp. The menu consisted of 3 courses: appetizer of crab soup or house salad; main course of a variety of plates (although we both chose the crab cakes and mashed potatoes); and dessert of either a huge slice of extra rich double chocolate layer cake or a huge slice of cheesecake with caramel sauce and strawberries. Our meal was fabulous!! Everything was delicious and plentiful. I love crab cakes and could only finish one (each plate had two) so my hubby took my second one. By dessert we were so stuffed we couldn't stand it and rolled ourselves out and up to our room to watch the sun set over the city. It was a beautiful sight.

The King bed in our room was wonderful....lush bedding and soft crisp cotton sheets. Two big pillows each. A rather heavy lush duvet covered the top which made us a bit warm so we removed that and left the sheet and blanket for covering. The room was incredibly quiet for being such a large hotel and in a busy location of the city. We both slept very well.

4 things of note:

Parking is not free and to park in their underground lot is $38/day. And the parking spaces are small and crammed into what seemed like a small garage. Easy to access and navigate though.

The air conditioner in our room did not cool the air as much as we would have liked. Being on the west side of the hotel, our room took in a lot of daytime heat (even with the curtains drawn). We both like a cold room for sleeping and both felt a bit warm overnight.

This is a 'pet friendly' hotel although we only saw a few small dogs in the lobby. No barking noises overnight, however I did detect a 'slight' pet urine smell in our room on occasions and noted there was a small carpet stain just inside the door to our room. I have a keen nose and always pick these things up - my husband did not seem to notice but it was a small annoyance for me.

The shower did not maintain a consistent temperature. We both had to keep readjusting the water temp as it would go from hot to cold back to hot. And the shower pressure was good but so incredibly loud that I'm sure the neighbor next door knew we were in the shower. The drain did not drain water very quickly so you were left standing in a tub of water.

Other than those 4 items above, this was a very very nice hotel. Would I stay here again? Absolutely. Great location, clean room, very helpful and friendly staff, wonderful views. I give this hotel 8 out of 10 stars for the price we paid to stay in the middle of Philly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gokartchik
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here for US Open weekend, and I had no complaints about the room. Nice big TV, plenty of space to relax, comfortable beds. The air conditioning was sufficiently loud enough to block out any noise from other rooms.
Where I did have a problem was with the breakfast. The hotel doesn't offer free breakfast, unless you are a Starwood Preferred member. The breakfast for preferred members is on the club level (top floor). Well so much for a benefit - the breakfast didn't have much to begin with, and one of the days they were out of almost everything. No more bagels, no more danishes or toast, no yogurt. They had boxes of cereal but no bowls or spoons. I heard someone ask the woman who was working there when they were going to get new food, and she said she wasn't sure, she would have to go downstairs to get everything herself because she was the only one working. And this was on a Sunday.
Other reviews are right, the parking is really expensive. Location is good - I would recommend getting breakfast instead at the Reading Terminal Market.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for your review, I think the Reading Terminal is a great choice for breakfast also. If you are not Platinum members or pay for the Club Level upgrade we do have other options. We offer rates that include breakfast for two guests per room. That will entitle each guest to enjoy a buffet in our Terrace Restaurant. We will look into why the food on the Club Level was not replenished. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you.