“Great Location, Wonderful Staff, Mary is Concierge Extraordinaire”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Sheraton in downtown Philly with its' name lit up in red lights makes for an easy visual as you walk around the city viewing the many historical sights. No need to take a car or taxi- weather permitting this hotel is in walking distance of many Philadelphia's wonderful museums, eateries, and shops. Challenged for time and with a long list of must see things we wanted to see/do/eat my sister and I were thrilled when Mary Mastrobuoni, the Sheraton's friendly, knowledgeable concierge, took ownership of how we might best utilize our time. Mary's taste level is perfection and her enthusiasm is infectious. We listened and obeyed. Because of Mary's suggestions we got a tour of the not- to- be missed Barnes Foundation and the Outsider Art docent tour at the Philadelphia Art Museum. We ate at the scrumptious Sabrina's Cafe as well as had a delightful dinner on the veranda at Waterworks. Go, stay at the Sheraton, and meet Mary. She's great and makes Philadelphia an even more fun place to visit!

Room Tip: Try to stay on the executive floor. Pop in to lounge for an evening snack and breakfast. The compl...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words. We will pass along your compliments to Mary and the rest of our team members. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, thank you.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while passing through Philly. The check in staff were friendly and efficient, but beyond that, I must say I was quite disappointed. The hall on our floor was literally littered with garbage- take out menus crumpled up, odd white powders, plastic cups. Gross. The carpet in our room was cut up and peiced together, but lifting and shredded at the areas where is had been peiced together. I killed three flies within the first hour of being in the room. Our bathroom and shower had hair along the tub, toilet and floor (not mine!). The tub and floor were covered in what I guess to be paint chips and we had to wear shoes in the bathroom due to dust, paint chips and other black crunchy stuff along the floor.

For the price I would have definitely expected (at the least) a clean room. Will not stay here again next year.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Jkmbac

Thank you for your review. On behalf of The Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown I would like to offer my sincerest apology. We agree that you should at the least had a clean room. There is no excuse for your room to have been in that condition. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this matter further. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We came for the NCAA games. The hotel is a bit weathered. Old TVS in the room, the sports bar has a few TV's that should be replaced. Loved the Concierge Floor, Loved the Staff except the staff at the Lobby Bar. Service was very slow at lunch and management had a horrible attitude. All and all, we had a great weekend....loved that they welcomed our pug and will definitely return. The employees that work so hard and impress are there....unfortunately there are others not as good but the ones that are good.....are great!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We hope your team did well. We will look into the televisions both in the rooms and in our lobby bar area. We are working towards making each and every team member providing great customer service. We hope you will return to let us know if our training is paying off.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Keep in mind the hotel is huge! You will not get a quaint hotel experience in the Sheraton. The staff are polite and the rooms are fine, but the location is only fair. I feel like you step out into a sort of business district with not that much for the average tourist. to see. Maybe this is what people are looking for, but Philly is a fun city with great restaurants and cool bars. It seemed like this hotel was a long way from anything worhwhile. I did appreciate the gracious staff and concierge.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that our staff did their part to make your stay enjoyable. We are not located near The Independence Hall area of the city. We are close to many of the museums that grace our city. We are also fortunate to be in walking distance to The Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia. Rittenhouse Square has great restaurants and bars in that area. It offers upscale shopping also. We hope you are in our city again so that we can have you experience it firsthand.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Positive: excellent location within walking distance of major attractions such as Logan Square and City Hall, clean and comfortable rooms. Negatives: plain vanilla design and furnishings, expensive parking, no safe in room, uneven service.

I visited Philadelphia just before Easter and stayed at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, when the hotel was packed with athletes and family members who were in town for a large volleyball tournament. I chose the Sheraton because it was within walking distance of the sites I wanted to visit, including the Franklin Institute, City Hall, Reading Terminal Market, and the Academy of Natural Sciences. The hotel offers self-serve parking for $38 per day, but there is a parking lot across the street that offers self-parking for $5 per day on the weekends.

The hotel was unable to offer a room at the time I arrived, so I checked my bag and went sightseeing. The bag check personnel were friendly and efficient. The desk clerk said that she would call me on my cell phone when my room was ready. Unfortunately, I never got a call, which was frustrating. Because of the tournament, everything was slow and crowded. It took between seven to 10 minutes for elevators to arrive, and they frequently made several stops on the way to the desired floor.

The room was clean with standard furnishings. The bed was comfortable, with nice linens and plenty of pillows. My room faced Logan Square, so I had a great view of the fountain and museums. The closet had the annoying “small hook” hangers. The room lacked a safe, which I thought was surprising in this day and age.

Room Tip: Get a room on higher floors facing Logan Square
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We hope you were able to visit all of the places that you planned to see. Parking in a larger city like Philadelphia can be expensive. We are in the same price range as the other hotels in our area. Our parking allows you to have in and out privileges. The parking lot across the street from the hotel does not. Our weekend rate is a $20.00 charge per day. Our weekend is considered Friday and Saturday. Please accept our apologies for not returning a call to you to let you know that your room was ready for check in. In the early part of May we will be addressing that plain vanilla look you were referring too. Our entire lobby area will be undergoing a complete makeover. We hope that you will be able to visit us when the project is completed.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a terrific hotel. From the moment I walked in, I was made to feel special. The hotel is beautiful and what views of the city from the room. I would highly recommend this hotel as it is one of Philadelphia's best. A great price for even a greater stay.

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk. If they can they will.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. It is always refreshing to hear that we are giving our guests what they deserve. You are special to our team members. We are happy that we made you feel very welcomed to our hotel. In the spirit of hospitality, thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went at Christmas time & the lobby was beautifully decorated. I honestly didn't expect much from a Sheraton, but this place exceeded my expectations. Great service by the doormen/guys who get you cabs. Concierge was very helpful. Very friendly staff. Clean hotel with WORKING A/C (yes, even in December I use it lol). Would definitely recommend & go back to this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MBMEsq

Thank you for your review. We believe that your hotel experience starts from our curbside. Our Doorman/Bellman set the tone for our entire hotel. Our team members pride themselves on giving outstanding service to each and every guest. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, thank you for letting us be at your service.