“Helpful”

Ranked #54 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Stamford, Connecticut
“Helpful”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently stayed here for a couple of days in September for work. I left my folio there and needed it for my expenses. Most hotels require a 24-48 hour turnover upon a request like that. Shiela, the operator, was extremely helpful. She was able to send it out right away and I had it on my computer within minutes. Thanks again! Tremendous help.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We know how important a folio can be. In most cases, you cannot get reimbursed if you don’t have one showing a zero balance. I’m happy that Sheila was able to get it sent over to you as soon as she did. She not only is great with locating and sending folios. She is great with making reservations. So if you are in our area again, please call Sheila to make a reservation.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Well let's start with the good bit.

The staff were friendly and did the best that they could to be helpful. Good for them.

All in all, the hotel was clean, the food reasonable and the stay bearable - for a $150 a night hotel.

However, I have to say that I shall never stay at this hotel again and I shall probably by extension try to not stay in another hotel of the same brand.

When I am paying over 200 dollars a night for a hotel I do not expect:

- To find the faucet for the bath and shower hanging off the wall
- That the cistern in the bathroom is overflowing and making a constant noise (admittedly fixed the next day as soon as I reported it, but why did I have to report it?)
- A depressing and pervasive brown color scheme
- To be kept awake for the first two nights by rowdy guests in the corridors. If you are going to encourage party goers at the weekend, you could have the courtesy to sound isolate your rooms.
- Stained (*not* dirty, the hotel was quite clean) bedding.
- An internet service (at an extra $9.95 a night) which would occassionally drop my connection and freeze me out for 2-5 minutes.

Dissapointed, could do better, as I shall next time I have the choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Rodfromnewmains
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. The issues that you have experienced was not common place. Our engineering staff has a preventive maintenance plan in place. Those issues should have definitely been caught before you checked in to our hotel. We are in the process of updating the corridors in the hotel at this present time. We are brightening the hallways and using a different color scheme. I would like to discuss this a bit further with you. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.
Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I just want to say that i recently stayed at this location and traveling a lot i wanted to let you know that your concierge Eric was fantastic. He was so professional and knows his stuff. I myself own a business and would love to have someone like him on my staff. He gave us great service and knows the best places to dine... This was not the first time we have dealt with him as we have stayed at this location in the past.

Thank you Eric for being the best !!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We find that our Concierge Department is one of our brighter departments.
Eric is a big reason for that. I think it’s because he likes showing off his city. His professionalism is unmatched. I don’t think we will be parting with him anytime soon.
He might have been a perfect fit for your company. Please let Eric show some more of the city to you on your next visit.
NJ
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My family (husband and two young kids) stayed for one Saturday night before the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon. For those of you looking for a hotel convenient to both the starting line and the convention center (where the expo is held), this one fits the bill; it's approximately a half-mile, easy walk to each. The price wasn't bad; in fact, it was a lot better than many of the other hotels in the area.

When we first arrived, the place was a madhouse. Tons of people were trying to get their cars parked and themselves checked in. However, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful (from reading other reviews, this seems to be a theme) and the lines went really fast. The hotel had a table set up in the lobby serving fresh fruit, beverages and soft pretzels, which was a really nice touch.

First, the bad news...when we took the elevator up to our room, we were immediately greeted by the sound of two very loud dogs barking and snarling nonstop. The sound grew louder as we walked down the hall to our room. Of course, as Murphy's Law would have it, we were assigned to the room right next to the dogs. We ourselves had no animals with us, and didn't request a room on a pet-friendly floor (in fact, my son is allergic to cats), so I have no idea how we ended up with this room. My husband marched downstairs ready to do battle. He spoke to the concierge, who immediately summoned the manager on duty. He quickly arranged for us to have a new room on a different floor. No battle necessary.

Our room wasn't huge but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. The shower and bathroom were clean and the water pressure was good. This hotel has a later check-out time, which I appreciated, since I was able to shower after the half-marathon.

I was up early and breakfast wasn't being served (I don't think it opened until 7). It would have been nice if the restaurant could have opened an hour earlier to accommodate all of the runners, but I understand that it may have been difficult to do so logistically. However, there was a Starbucks in the lobby that opened early, serving up bagels, pastries, fruit, coffee, etc. There was a huge line of people trying to fuel up before the race and only one poor woman was working, but she was friendly and quick and didn't seem to be flustered like I would have.

All in all, a good stay. If I ever have to stay in downtown Philly again, I'd definitely stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't have pets, make sure you request a room on a non-pet floor!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that you were given a pet friendly floor when you were not traveling with a pet. We try and keep guests without pets on a separate floor. Just to ease your mind, we only allow dogs in our hotel. It was great to hear that your issue was resolved right away. We try to solve problems as soon as they are brought to our attention. We use your feedback as teachable moments. Our Food and Beverage outlets will be open earlier and staffed properly, during the next marathon. Please keep us in mind when you plan your next trip to Philadelphia.
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here with family for one night on our way to Washington DC from New York. I am an Starwood Preferred member and was upgraded to the Club level rooms. The hotel is very centrally located in the museum district and close to shops and restaurants. The rooms are very well appointed and spacious and the views from the rooms were stunning. There also was a complementary continental breakfast that came with the Club Level rooms. The staff was very polite and accommodating. A big thank-you to Philip Marcano for providing us with a very pleasant stay in this very historical city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter S
Thank you for your review. We are always honored to have our Starwood Preferred Guest submit such a great review. We hope that you enjoyed the services of the Club Lounge. By the looks of your travel schedule, you will be changing you status in no time. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, I would like to say thank you for staying at our hotel.
New York, NY
Reviewed October 2, 2012

You wouldn't think it from the outside, but the inside is really a cut above what most places offer in Philly. Rated as a 3.5 star but I'd definitely rate it on a 4 star level. This is a cut above the nearby Embassy Suites which is supposedly the same hotel class.

Large, expansive lobby (by Philly standards), gorgeous fitness facilities and indoor pool, wonderful on-site restaurants and bar, very attentive and helpful staff. High floors have incredible views.

The only thing to note is the CONSTRUCTION at this time which I am told can be quite a bit of a noise problem if you get the wrong room (luckily we were placed on a high floor).

Rooms were large, nice king beds, flat screen televisions, comfortable bathrooms. Definitely lives up to the Sheraton name. Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We hope the construction from next door didn’t inconvenience you in any kind of way. We are in the process of making changes to the hotel, both inside and outside. I’m happy that we were able to pleasantly surprise you. We hope other guests enjoy the hotel as much.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just wanted to say the hotel is fantastically located, offers great food (crabcakes are wonderful) but above and beyond the concierge service, offered by Mary M, was second to none. She was happy to help print out things needed for meetings, offer advice on what do to in a spare hour of time and get me to and from meetings/airports via the best routes possible. Thank you, Mary!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your review. You mentioned the crab cakes. Sounds like you were able to experience Phillips Seafood restaurant. We are happy that everything was to your liking. On behalf of Mary, I would like to say thank you. You are absolutely right, she is second to none. We value her tremendously here at The Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown. If you are in our area and are craving crab cakes, Mary will get you a great table at Phillips.