“Disspointing and bad value for money”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Well let's start with the good bit.

The staff were friendly and did the best that they could to be helpful. Good for them.

All in all, the hotel was clean, the food reasonable and the stay bearable - for a $150 a night hotel.

However, I have to say that I shall never stay at this hotel again and I shall probably by extension try to not stay in another hotel of the same brand.

When I am paying over 200 dollars a night for a hotel I do not expect:

- To find the faucet for the bath and shower hanging off the wall
- That the cistern in the bathroom is overflowing and making a constant noise (admittedly fixed the next day as soon as I reported it, but why did I have to report it?)
- A depressing and pervasive brown color scheme
- To be kept awake for the first two nights by rowdy guests in the corridors. If you are going to encourage party goers at the weekend, you could have the courtesy to sound isolate your rooms.
- Stained (*not* dirty, the hotel was quite clean) bedding.
- An internet service (at an extra $9.95 a night) which would occassionally drop my connection and freeze me out for 2-5 minutes.

Dissapointed, could do better, as I shall next time I have the choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Rodfromnewmains
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. The issues that you have experienced was not common place. Our engineering staff has a preventive maintenance plan in place. Those issues should have definitely been caught before you checked in to our hotel. We are in the process of updating the corridors in the hotel at this present time. We are brightening the hallways and using a different color scheme. I would like to discuss this a bit further with you. I can be reached at 215-448-2000.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I just want to say that i recently stayed at this location and traveling a lot i wanted to let you know that your concierge Eric was fantastic. He was so professional and knows his stuff. I myself own a business and would love to have someone like him on my staff. He gave us great service and knows the best places to dine... This was not the first time we have dealt with him as we have stayed at this location in the past.

Thank you Eric for being the best !!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We find that our Concierge Department is one of our brighter departments.
Eric is a big reason for that. I think it’s because he likes showing off his city. His professionalism is unmatched. I don’t think we will be parting with him anytime soon.
He might have been a perfect fit for your company. Please let Eric show some more of the city to you on your next visit.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

My family (husband and two young kids) stayed for one Saturday night before the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon. For those of you looking for a hotel convenient to both the starting line and the convention center (where the expo is held), this one fits the bill; it's approximately a half-mile, easy walk to each. The price wasn't bad; in fact, it was a lot better than many of the other hotels in the area.

When we first arrived, the place was a madhouse. Tons of people were trying to get their cars parked and themselves checked in. However, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful (from reading other reviews, this seems to be a theme) and the lines went really fast. The hotel had a table set up in the lobby serving fresh fruit, beverages and soft pretzels, which was a really nice touch.

First, the bad news...when we took the elevator up to our room, we were immediately greeted by the sound of two very loud dogs barking and snarling nonstop. The sound grew louder as we walked down the hall to our room. Of course, as Murphy's Law would have it, we were assigned to the room right next to the dogs. We ourselves had no animals with us, and didn't request a room on a pet-friendly floor (in fact, my son is allergic to cats), so I have no idea how we ended up with this room. My husband marched downstairs ready to do battle. He spoke to the concierge, who immediately summoned the manager on duty. He quickly arranged for us to have a new room on a different floor. No battle necessary.

Our room wasn't huge but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. The shower and bathroom were clean and the water pressure was good. This hotel has a later check-out time, which I appreciated, since I was able to shower after the half-marathon.

I was up early and breakfast wasn't being served (I don't think it opened until 7). It would have been nice if the restaurant could have opened an hour earlier to accommodate all of the runners, but I understand that it may have been difficult to do so logistically. However, there was a Starbucks in the lobby that opened early, serving up bagels, pastries, fruit, coffee, etc. There was a huge line of people trying to fuel up before the race and only one poor woman was working, but she was friendly and quick and didn't seem to be flustered like I would have.

All in all, a good stay. If I ever have to stay in downtown Philly again, I'd definitely stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't have pets, make sure you request a room on a non-pet floor!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that you were given a pet friendly floor when you were not traveling with a pet. We try and keep guests without pets on a separate floor. Just to ease your mind, we only allow dogs in our hotel. It was great to hear that your issue was resolved right away. We try to solve problems as soon as they are brought to our attention. We use your feedback as teachable moments. Our Food and Beverage outlets will be open earlier and staffed properly, during the next marathon. Please keep us in mind when you plan your next trip to Philadelphia.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here with family for one night on our way to Washington DC from New York. I am an Starwood Preferred member and was upgraded to the Club level rooms. The hotel is very centrally located in the museum district and close to shops and restaurants. The rooms are very well appointed and spacious and the views from the rooms were stunning. There also was a complementary continental breakfast that came with the Club Level rooms. The staff was very polite and accommodating. A big thank-you to Philip Marcano for providing us with a very pleasant stay in this very historical city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter S

Thank you for your review. We are always honored to have our Starwood Preferred Guest submit such a great review. We hope that you enjoyed the services of the Club Lounge. By the looks of your travel schedule, you will be changing you status in no time. On behalf of the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown, I would like to say thank you for staying at our hotel.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

You wouldn't think it from the outside, but the inside is really a cut above what most places offer in Philly. Rated as a 3.5 star but I'd definitely rate it on a 4 star level. This is a cut above the nearby Embassy Suites which is supposedly the same hotel class.

Large, expansive lobby (by Philly standards), gorgeous fitness facilities and indoor pool, wonderful on-site restaurants and bar, very attentive and helpful staff. High floors have incredible views.

The only thing to note is the CONSTRUCTION at this time which I am told can be quite a bit of a noise problem if you get the wrong room (luckily we were placed on a high floor).

Rooms were large, nice king beds, flat screen televisions, comfortable bathrooms. Definitely lives up to the Sheraton name. Thanks guys!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We hope the construction from next door didn’t inconvenience you in any kind of way. We are in the process of making changes to the hotel, both inside and outside. I’m happy that we were able to pleasantly surprise you. We hope other guests enjoy the hotel as much.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just wanted to say the hotel is fantastically located, offers great food (crabcakes are wonderful) but above and beyond the concierge service, offered by Mary M, was second to none. She was happy to help print out things needed for meetings, offer advice on what do to in a spare hour of time and get me to and from meetings/airports via the best routes possible. Thank you, Mary!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for your review. You mentioned the crab cakes. Sounds like you were able to experience Phillips Seafood restaurant. We are happy that everything was to your liking. On behalf of Mary, I would like to say thank you. You are absolutely right, she is second to none. We value her tremendously here at The Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown. If you are in our area and are craving crab cakes, Mary will get you a great table at Phillips.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

While this is one of the biggest hotels in the entire state of PA, the amazing staff still makes a guest feel like they are getting personalized service. Bill the GM is always around to help with any issues you might have, and Mary/Eric at the Concierge Desk are top-notch. Eric even functions as the IT guru, as he took the time to fix all the computers one evening, upon my request. At check-in, definitely ask for an odd number room for the view!

The fitness center is one of the best I’ve ever seen in a non-resort Hotel. I was told they spent close to $1M just on the gym/pool. Did I mention there are at least 6 FREE computers in the lobby to use. A Starbucks kiosk/Budget Car Rental are right on the 1st floor as well. Plenty of elevators to whisk you to your room. The gift shop even sells some pretty fancy ties if you have fashion needs.

When it is time to leave the hotel all of Center City/R’house Sq is in walking distance and when your stay is over, the highways are literally a 60 second drive from the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. You have sold me on our hotel. Thank you for seeing the vision that our GM has put in front of us. Mr. Bill Fitzgerald is leading us in the right direction. Both Eric and Mary thank you for recognizing them by name. Eric does make sure our computers at The Link by Sheraton are functioning properly. We hope that you enjoyed the view of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. We try to give our odd number rooms to guests that have never been to our great city. The rooms with the even numbers have great views of City Hall. By the way, I’m wearing a tie from our gift shop right now.