“Excellent and Helpful Staff, Lovely View of Philly”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed January 17, 2008

We were very pleased that our room was ready as per our special request upon our slightly early arrival. We also appreciated the courtesy of the staff and the large and attractive room with a lovely view of the Rodin Museum and the City Park. The food was excellent and very nicely presented. Our only difficult moment was with one young man who explained he was the weekend Terrace Restaurant manager and therefore resentful of being asked by the Concierge to adjust the television so we could watch the football playoffs. We decided he was not an avid fan and didn't recognize our high level of interest in this sport. ( He could never live in our hometown, Providence, RI, the backyard of the Great Boston Patriots!!!

• Stayed: January 2008

Reviewed January 13, 2008

This hotel needs some serious management changes. I arrived on a Sunday night. I had booked a premium room because my wife was going to join me and they had no king beds at the convention rate, even though I was staying for nearly a whole week. When I arrived, the hotel was nearly empty. I was told that there was a room for those on the executive floors with hors d'oeuvres and drinks after five. When I went up at five, the room was completely dark and empty and there was nothing in it but some milk in a refrigerator. If only that was the worst thing that happened to me.

I had some work that kept me up very late, working with someone overseas who kept different hours. I finally got to bed about five am. At about 9am, a loud banging woke me up. I don't mean someone hammering a nail into a wall. I mean someone destroying a wall with tools. The wall between my room and the room next door. It kept up. I was so tired I couldn't even think to deal with it. It kept up. Finally, I got up, took a quick shower and went downstairs.

I asked for the manager. The manager admitted that they were remodelling the room next door to me (apparently to move the executive lounge, the lounge that was abandoned). And yes, she admitted that I shouldn't have been put in the room next door. And yes, she admitted that the work would continue notwithstanding that I was in the room next door.

Remember, I'm dead tired (as I told her). It took five minutes of discussion to get her to agree to move me. To a less desirable (although thank God) quieter room. No help with packing. A bellman to help move me. I had to negotiate that I could move to the other room without leaving my room (where I had completely unpacked the night before for the entire week).

She kept asking me suggest to her what would make this up to me. In other words, I had to negotiate against myself. Being dead tired, I didn't want to engage in this discussion.

She did call, leaving a voicemail the next day, to ask how things were. But I never heard from her again after that. And I was frankly shocked that the charge for the room for that first night was still on the bill. You would think that taking that charge off would have been automatic.

I wasn't paying for the room myself, so I wasn't going to take my time to go argue about it again, but I figured that letting folks now on TripAdvisor how they treat their so-called guests would be useful.

After that, the room was okay. As others have noted, the views are very nice from the hotel. The lounge I'd paid extra for was never open in my experience. The hotel staff seemed to take forever to make up the rooms in the morning, and even when you requested that your room be done early they ignored you and did it in the order they wanted. But at least after the first night I could sleep through the night.

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank BreadbakerWA
Reviewed December 30, 2007

A nice place to stay. The staff was friendly, quick check in and check out. Very helpful about getting info for you about the area and train schedules. It is within walking distance of almost everything in center city. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bud56
Reviewed December 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. It was absolutely wonderful! Upon check in we informed the staff that my husband is a diabetic and there was no problem getting a fridge for his insulin. The room and bathroom were very clean with a breathtaking view! The bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get out of it. The housekeeping staff did not bother us and waited until we left for the day to clean the room. The food was wonderful and the server was very polite. Check out was very easy. Overall we had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend staying here! Congenial staff and very accommadating!!

Nichele & Clinton

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ncjw
Reviewed December 8, 2007

Stayed one night to go to the museum nearby. The front desk staff was rude and bored. Overpriced parking. The proximity to the Franklin Institute was great, except for the park one block away from hotel that was filled with homeless people. No restaurants within a couple of block radius of hotel, plus no shops either. We paid our bill in cash and the parking was charged a second time after our return home. I contacted the hotel and received no response and without a paid receipt that included parking charge, I was forced to pay for parking twice. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone. If you do stay, triple check your bill and credit card statements.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank ESmith987
Reviewed December 2, 2007

Where do I start?
1) Short curly hairs on the bedroom floor on our arrival.
2) No soap replaced, no shampoo replaced etc
3) When we told the maid service to please come back later at 8.30am, we then got "Do you want the room made up?". Rude.
4) The front desk tried (HARD) to charge us twice for a prepaid room despite the clearest possible paperwork showing we had prepaid. Worse, they were then unapologetic about it.
5) The lifts are beyond nauseatingly jerky.

I guess its quite cheap and the location is good, but thats about all you can say, though Philedelphia is great.

Not actually a Sheraton, but privately run, and licensed to use the name. Probably explains a lot.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Betty1London
Reviewed November 28, 2007

We participated in the Philly marathon and selected the Sheraton due to it proximity to the race. WOW!! What a surprise.
We had a great experience from the check in at the front desk to the terrific service were received in the restaurant.

Four stars in our book.