“Mary Mastrobuoni - Concierge of Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #55 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Dear Sheraton,

Your hotel was quite nice. What I need to point is the extraordinary care and knowledge of one Miss May Mastrobuoni. She helped me considerably in finding some terrific places to visit and restaurants were way cool. This is not an ordinary Concierge, Mary was excellent.
I kept changing my mind on some places but she directed me to Reading Market that was fantastic and this obscure Fabric Museum featuring the artist Laurie Anderson. Let it be known.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
PhilipMarcano, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Mary will be praised for her great work and efforts. She is loved by all guests and that is because of her passion for hospitality and her love for the city of Philadelphia. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Look forward to your return

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed there one night. The rugs were black with soot and dirt. The toilet had stains from a previous user. The HVAC system was on the fritz and couldn't keep a straight temperature. Wanted to sleep on top of the covers. Glad I left early in the morning to give them time to not clean the room.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Scurvy00
PhilipMarcano, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. The Hotel just completed a deep clean project so it is surprising to hear about the carpet cleanliness being stained. We have a Preventive Maintenance program in place to sure the highest standard of cleanliness and room functionality. our apologies again and we hope you will give us another opportunity to shine bright.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

This hotel is very dated. No personailty in the rooms. Best point is the Starwood chain Dream beds. Room had a water leak in the bathroom, and the cups were motel style plastic.

The health facility had noisy, unmaintained elliptical machines - luckily, they had some pictures of the planned remodel so future guests have better facilities.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank cwaters

Thank you for your feedback. The Plastic cups are the brand standard. It is part of the Eco-Friendly effort to reduce energy, water and chemicals in washing glasses. It is also a more sanitary option. Our Fitness Center is currently under renovations. More than half of our machines have been removed. We hope you will return to experience our improvements.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton a few weeks ago and it was exactly what I expected and wanted. All I care about is the bed and it lived up to its hype. Those are the best beds and exactly what one needs at the end of the day.

I've seen some reviews on here that have people complaining because they weren't treated properly since they were an SPG. This is a huge pet peeve of mine these days. I get why the hotel has these loyalty programs and I think that is great. I also understand why SPG's are the first ones to get the upgraded rooms (when possible). My beef has to do with people that think they are "more important" customers than others. I am a SPG and I am thrilled that I get some perks every once and a while but I've seen some people walk into Sheraton hotels with the attitude that they are the most important people in there.

All businesses have busy times and make mistakes and we need to be accepting of that. It is kind of like walking into a grocery store and expecting to get the best parking spot, be served first at check out and get better produce just because you spend more money then others. It just doesn't make sense to me. The only difference is that at the grocery store, everyone usually uses their own money where as a SPG usually (I know it's a generalization) has the bill paid for by someone else and they are just receiving the benefits.

Just my opinion.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bruce T

We appreciate your honesty. We also appreciate you being an SPG member. We do our very best to upgrade and take care of all of our guests in the manner they expect. Our Sheraton Super Sleeper is very comfortable. Its a great nights sleep. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

We booked a 2 night stay at this hotel and the whole experience was great when compared to the 2nd hotel we stayed at during our trip. Check-in and Check-out was very quick - lots of people on the desk dealing quickly with the queue. The room was great - especially the beds, quilts and pillows. Most of all we got great service from Mary who manned the Concierge desk. Nothing was too much trouble and she was a great source of information. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Quick, friendly & efficient service along with a clean and comfortable room is a great formula for a perfect stay. We appreciate your feedback about Mary. She does a great job with all of our guests. We will be sure to praise her. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

I am a regular SPG customer. I've been one for more than a decade. I have had generally positive experience with most of their properties, including Sheraton. The Sheraton Philadelphia would not rank among my favorite experiences. Indeed, it would probably rate among my least favorite hotels in the last ten years of business travel.

I arrived at 3 pm only to be told that there were no rooms available. After waiting for 30 minutes with no rooms becoming available, I told the front desk that I needed to return to the Convention Center and would not be back until after 9 pm. I didn't want to find myself without my SPG preferred room but gave up. I walked back to the Convention Center and returned at 9 pm. The room assigned to me was not one I requested. When I called the manager on duty I was informed in a very matter of the fact manner that I was lucky to get a room at all! as they had overbooked. I'll be booking an alternative myself next time I'm in PHL.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank LevGonick

We appreciate your feedback. We thank you for being an SPG member and appreciate your loyalty to the brand. We also had a great time with having guests from the Educause conference which you were apart of. The SPG program states that upgrades are based off availability and upgrades are issued to our highest tier members first. Being at the Preferred level there are VIP, Platinum, Gold, and Plus members that would get priority to SPG floors before Preferred members. Being sold out made it difficult to issue SPG rooms when none were available. We do our very best to accommodate all of our guests with there requests. We look forward to the Educause conference returning to Philadelphia in 2017.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Word to the wise. Stay at a friendly hotel. I've stayed at the Sheraton in the past and it was always a mediocre/adequate hotel. I do the Philly Marathon every year and typically book my hotel WAY in advance to try to be close to the start. This year I booked through the marathon travel bureau and then called the hotel to double-check that the reservation had indeed been made. I received my confirmation number by email with the 'Phila Marathon Rate', so I thought I was all set. Yesterday I receive an email from the Sheraton saying that my booking was cancelled. On calling the travel bureau I find out that the hotel over-sold at the so-called 'marathon rate' and so the hotel simply took it upon themselves to cancel a bunch of reservations. When I called the hotel to complain I got the run around. They claimed that I had booked my room directly through the hotel, which I had not, and had the emails to prove it. Even though I had booked through the bureau they wouldnt honor my reservation and I found myself without a hotel room because I was 'on the list' of rooms they had already cancelled. The travel bureau booked me into a different hotel, further away, and now I'm stuck wondering how my kids are going to get around. The hotel was not helpful, simply claimed ignorance, shifted blame to the travel bureau, was outrageously rude on the phone, blaming me for their reservation screwup, no 'oh, I'm sorry, let me book you into a sister hotel'...
I'm glad I am no longer staying at this place. A hotel is only as good as its weakest link-rudest person. This did it for me. I've never been big on Sheratons, but this blew the entire brand for me. Hello Marriott...thanks for not screwing me over.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here, call 48 hours ahead and confirm your room...again, and again.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PatientX
PhilipMarcano, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2011

Our apologies for the inconvenience. Please feel free to call the hotel and speak with Tonya Nowlin if you havent yet. The number to the hotel is 215-448-2000. The hotel will do whatever necessary to assist in anyway.