“Sheraton City Center Phila. gets a D-”

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Ranked #51 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Princeton, NJ
“Sheraton City Center Phila. gets a D-”
Reviewed November 17, 2007

This hotel is every bit as bad as some of the reviewers have said. In fact, I think it is even worse. We checked in earlier today, and I immediately called and asked for a refrigerator to keep medication cold. This was at 1 pm. We returned to the room at 6:30 and still no refrigerator. After several more phone calls, it was finally delivered at 7:30 pm. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I called again (it is now 8:45) and they tell me they have no more and will have to send an engineer tomorrow. We also just noticed that there is absolutely no soap in the room at all. Upon arrival, we found someone's sweater lieing on the bed (we returned it to guest services) and also found a dirty towel in the bathroom). There is also about a quarter roll of toilet tissue and no spares. We are on the SPG floor and I would have expected more. By the way, the club lounge is closed on weekends. I went to the desk to ask if they could recommend a place close by for a light breakfast (we are not entitled to the buffet and I really don't want a big breakfast) and they said there is no place close by. My husband is running the marathon tomorrow morning so I am on my own, and alot of the roads around the area will be closed, so taking a taxi might be difficult. Last time he ran the marathon four years ago we stayed at the Sheraton Rittenhouse Square, and even though it was not the host hotel for the marathon, it was a far superior experience. We will never stay here again. By the way, I see what the reviewer who commented about the nausea from the bumpy elevator meant. It was extremely bumpy and in fact it even stopped once on the ninth floor and the doors never opened. We all looked at each other with a bit of panic. Finally, we pushed some buttons and it started to move again. Oh, and valet parking is now $34 and self park is $25. We did find the $5 lot across the street but you must remove your car by 9 am, or be charged an hourly rate which would bring it to around $25 by noon.

By the way, we did have a wonderful dinner at La Fonda Cucina on 8th Street. It is a small family owned restaurant, BYOB, and the service and food were both impeccable.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Siennalover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 14, 2007

When we got this hotel through Priceline I was thinking it would be OK - all the four star hotels were booked on the night we went. The check in took forever considering they had plenty of staff and few people waiting. The elevator to our room made me so nauseated that I was not sure if I would ever be able to take it again. Well, the hotel is being renovated so our entire floor smelled like paint. That did not help my mood. We got to our room and the bathroom had been cleaned - but it was not clean. I was too tired to complain. There was hair on the floor, dust everywhere, and the mirror looked like someone with a childs reach cleaned it. It was fine for one night, but I was not happy and I will NEVER choose a 3* on priceline again in Philly for this reason.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelor492

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

laurendavis
Reviewed November 11, 2007

We booked this hotel thru priceline for $95 a night. We were a little nervous b/c Priceline had it listed as a 3* and we usually only book 4* thru them (since you never know what you'll get). We arrived at 9am on a Friday morning and doubted they would let us check in so early. Not only did they let us check in, the awesome desk person (Pippa) upgraded us to the Starwood Preferred floor, gave us an amazing view of the Benjamin Franklin parkway and art museum, and a king bed non smoking, just as we wanted. The bed was very large, the room was a great size (even had a couch in it) and it was very clean. We had fantastic service thru them the entire time - from door men to concierge (although, don't take her advice on breakfast... the place she sent us was awful - yoni's), we experienced great service. The city seems really spread out, so I don't know what an ideal location is... but that would be the only negative about this hotel. It is a little on the outskirts. But we figured all the walking was good for all the eating we did.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I had a Priceline bid of $100.00 accepted by this hotel. For that price the hotel is a steal. There are several negative posts about this hotel, but most were written last spring. It appears they are improving.

The biggest negative in my mind (and it's not really bad) is the location. Although you can find many restaurants and shops within about 3 or 4 blocks, there is not much within the immediate vicinity.

I had a car and I think it was an excellent central city location for a car, easy in and out and freeway access.

I also walked around the center city quite a bit and found the location good since I don't mind walking.

The parking was $25.00 per nite for self parking underground. I was thinking of parking cheaper in the Gateway parking lot between 15th and 16th streets on Spring, but opted for the safety and security of hotel parking.

The hotel could use some updating, but most everything worked okay. The TV was not the best, but I did not come to Philly to watch tv.

The room was very clean.

The bed was very comfy. The bathroom was big enough and the marble counter top was nice. The plumbing worked fine.

The door stuck, but after the first few times I found a quick kick at the bottom of the door as I pushed solved that little problem.

I did not eat in the restaurant or use any of the other services.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again although I would prefer another center city location if the price was comparable.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank przyk
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2007

I stayed at the Sheraton Philadelphia for a conference at the convention center in October. I am an SPG Gold Member and was given a room on the 25th "SPG Floor". Overall, I would only give it 3 stars.

The lobby is very plain and looks like a Ramada with nothing special at all. Also, the carpets were dirty and nobody opened the doors or offered to take my bags. The food in the lounge was okay but again I felt like I was in a Ramada at best.

The room was okay with the usual comfortable Sheraton bed. Unfortunately, the bathroom was small and my shower curtain was ripped. As mentionned, my bathroom was small but I guess this is standard for a hotel built in the 70 or 80s (my guess on the age of this hotel). The TV was pretty pathetic - a standard 25 or 27 inch TV. Of special note, the elevators were disgusting - dirty and so jerky some people became nauseated.

The location is okay. Not far from the downtown shopping/dining core and within walking distance of some attractions. I had a nice view from my 25th floor room.

On the plus side, the front desk staff were generally helpful and polite.

I would not return here again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GIMD
Charlotte
Reviewed October 15, 2007

I was surprised at such good service and accomodations after reading the reviews. I was at the hotel for three nights for a conference at the convention center. The beds were very soft and comfortable and my room was clean. I had excellent service all around with: checking in, eating at the hotel bars and restaurants as well as getting a ride back to the airport. I also had an amazing view of the city from the 21st floor which was an added bonus. Overall, I was quite pleased with my stay and had no complaints.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank micsack
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed here for one night only as we were in town for a wedding.

No problems with this hotel and it was what I expect from a Sheraton. The room was big and the bed was massive and very comfortable. The decor was tasteful. Everything was clean and the bathroom was nice. Sounds like we stayed at a different hotel compared to what other people have written on here, I really didn't see any of the problems people mentioned.

It was reasonably priced for being downtown and was about 10 mins walk to the main shopping area, but about 5 mins from Logan Square. I think our rate was 179 for a king room.

Probably won't be back to Philly but would stay there again. Friends had stayed in the Club Quarters, and said it was awful, and I don't think it was that much cheaper.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple