Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #14 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Good room, space and rate, but not the best restaurant options. Nice pool and workout room. Unfortunately, the staff and concierge weren't really knowledgeable .We were given wrong information about a restaurant down the street; and after being told that there were no Dunkin' Donuts in the area, we passed one just a block away! I think I'll try somewhere else next time unless the Sheraton rate is too good to pass up. We stayed there to view Drexel U, which was within walking distance (although a good walk).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Eatsbonbons,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced as a guest in our Hotel. Your experience is contrary to the high level of service we strive to maintain and of which you have every right to expect. We will certainly review our training and service levels of our concierge and team members to ensure that they are knowledgeable of all that University City has to offer. We hope that you will be back to see the changes. Please feel free to contact us at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 or sheraton@sheruniv.com if you have any further comments or questions.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised at the Sheraton right by the U Penn campus during a two-night stay to drop off our son for his freshman year. Our junior suite was quite spacious and included a dining table for 6 plus a large mini refrigerator and microwave tucked away in a mahogany cabinet, in addition to the living room area with pullout sofa and the roomy king-sized bedroom with desk. Both the bedroom and living area had flat screen televisions. A set of French doors with curtains nicely separated the bedroom and living/dining area. The bathroom was attractively done and not cramped. The bedroom also offered a long desk with workspace for two and specialized computer ports. A bathrobe in the closet and coffee maker setup in the bedroom were both appreciated, as was the free Internet service. The suite was also very clean and the bed and pillows quite comfortable. Our room on the 20th floor had a beautiful view over the U Penn campus and city, plus being on the Club Level gave us access to a nice club lounge for a light breakfast in the morning.and snacks during the day (and with all the walking we were doing, we were happy to indulge in the in the Club Lounge's guacamole and hot meatballs as a late afternoon snack.). We found the attached parking garage convenient too. Hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. Location provides easy access to museums, restaurants and shopping in Center City and the Old City, plus there are lots of dining choices right nearby too. We would stay here again and recommend it if you are visiting the University of Pennsylvania.

Room Tip: A junior suite is well worth the cost of the upgrade, especially if you are traveling with children.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear zoom101,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Comments and feedback are most often shared when in the negative form, so it is a pleasure to share these motivating statements with our staff whenever we have the opportunity. We hope to host your stay again soon!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

It's been a while since I stayed at a Sheraton. Not sure if this property is indicative of what they all are like now but this place was just bad. The front desk people where nice and friendly and the location was great- was going to U. Penn but it was Very run down and in need of some repairs cleaning. Common areas were a little tattered and the rooms had that very "lived in" feel. There were not a lot of options in this area but I should've ponied up the few extra bucks and stayed at the Hilton property on campus.
I travel and spend a good bit of times in hotels and this was easily the worst I've been to in a while. My fault for being cheap

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear goneinsixtyseconds,
We are genuinely sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay. Please know that we are in the process of changes that we believe will enhance the Hotel and it's services and ask kindly that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Please feel free to contact Guest Services at 215-387-8000 ext . 627 prior to your visit so we can ensure a pleasant stay.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Very satisfied with this hotel. We were visiting UPenn and were able to walk there. We were able to get to the Historic District and felt safe on the streets. The hotel is in a great location and was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear GenieBIdaho,
Thank you for posting a review of your recent experience with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having been to Philly for past ten years, I'm used to struggling to find a good hotel. I usually stay out at the airport as a result. However, circumstances had me near the university and at this Sheraton.
The hotel is very worn and needs a refurbish; walls and carpets are marked up. While there is a thermostat control on the wall, things are controlled by the in-wall air conditioner like a Motel 6 - I spent a couple of minutes poking away at the control box until I realized I walk over to the wall and lift the (broken) flap to access the controls. (Interestingly, the flap was also broken on the box in the Club Lounge.) And the toilet; you have to hold the handle down for 20seconds to ensure the flush.
Service at Philly hotels is not on par with most cities; there's a surliness that seems to be common and that was expressed here as well. Perhaps it was only because I'd just been at another hotel before arriving here in Philly that the contrast, and lack of hospitality, was so notable. Guests were not greeted when encountered in hallways, elevators or lobby and even at check-in it took a few minutes before there was some warmth to the conversation.
Cleanliness is also an issue - when I arrived, there was laundry & garbage in the hallway of the Club Level that remained throughout the evening. The next day, new garbage appeared that took until the overnight to disappear.
Given the Sheraton name (and the corresponding price per night) I had an expectation of more.

Room Tip: There is a lot of street noise on Chestnut, so higher and facing away from the street may be a bette...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Sig 225,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations nor our high levels of service standards. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about our unfriendly service and condition of the hotel. Please feel free to contact me at sheraton@sheruniv.com or 215-387-387-8000, ext. 627 so we can discuss this further.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let us know.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have been traveling up to Philadelphia for work and decided to turn this into a weekend getaway and I was excited that I picked this place. Let me first start by saying that Tammy at the front desk was just remarkable. She was very professional and seemed delighted that I was staying for the weekend. She pointed out some great restaurants and I was so happy with her first suggestion, White Dog Cafe. (Spicy Lamb Bolognese is to die for.) This hotel is in an awesome section of the city and was a short ride to the center of town. We hung out at Ladder 15 and came back to the hotel. Not sure of the gentleman's name when I returned but he was happy to see us as well. Next day I had a brief discussion with Brian, an Engineer there and we had a pretty entertaining conversation. Everybody was overwhelmingly friendly, can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Stayed in a corner suite with a wet bar and living room, worth the upgrade. Came with awesome concie...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear McMCSwift:
We are pleased to hear that several of our team members made memorable connections with you during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to recognize them and write a review of your experience with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had some business near by and this was the most convenient hotel. The self parking was easy and the garage secure. Every staff member I encountered was friendly and said hello which is nice.

The hotel and rooms are clean and I would stay here again if business brings me back to the area. With that said, the hotel rooms are in need of a refresh ... baseboards, wallpaper, caulking, etc. has seen noticeable wear and tear.

I noticed several families and realized many parents and children stay here during the summer to assess the nearby colleges for future enrollment. I'm guessing some of these rooms have seen a party or two.

Again, worn down doesn't mean dirty. It is a clean but dated hotel and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear James S:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We truly appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.