“Nice location, great staff, comfortable stay - a little rundown”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Palm Beach, Florida
“Nice location, great staff, comfortable stay - a little rundown”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had some business near by and this was the most convenient hotel. The self parking was easy and the garage secure. Every staff member I encountered was friendly and said hello which is nice.

The hotel and rooms are clean and I would stay here again if business brings me back to the area. With that said, the hotel rooms are in need of a refresh ... baseboards, wallpaper, caulking, etc. has seen noticeable wear and tear.

I noticed several families and realized many parents and children stay here during the summer to assess the nearby colleges for future enrollment. I'm guessing some of these rooms have seen a party or two.

Again, worn down doesn't mean dirty. It is a clean but dated hotel and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear James S:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We truly appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was my second stay at this lovely little hotel. I stay there as it is just up the street from Drexel University. Rooms are compact but nicely appointed with nice furnishings and a large flat screen. The bathroom is also small, but well designed. The beds and bedding are impossibly luxurious and comfortable, This is the only hotel where I am guaranteed an immediate and restful sleep. There is a very nice pool and excellent workout facility. The hotel is extremely understaffed. If you have a late arrival it is is probable that desk staff is away doing something else, and that there will not be a bellman. The last time I arrived, the bellman (singular) had left, and the desk clerk helped me with my luggage. These are minor complaints, asI can be sure that I will return,

Room Tip: There are always good AAA rates that can get you a great rate, and superior roon.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear northsoutheastwest:
Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences. We will certainly be reviewing our staffing levels to ensure that we provide the highest level of service at all times.
It is nice to hear that you have had an opportunity to experience our pool and fitness center. They are great places to unwind!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I went to the University of Pennsylvania in 1983 and it was my perception that this hotel was in poor shape and might be purchased by the University and converted to a dorm. Not only was this not the case, but I found this Sheraton to be above average as a Sheraton. As a Platinum Starwood member, I was upgraded to the Club Floor and the exact type of room I requested . While the AC was not great in the club lounge, the evening and morning offerings were above average. The cupcakes were great snack. The highlight of my stay, was that while they had a 45 foot pool to do laps, it was not avilalable until 8:00 in the morning. I asked if the pool could be opened earlier the the night manager made arrangements to open early. This gave me time to take care of everything I needed and I am extremely appreciative. BTW the fitness center, pool and deck looked like they were recently renovated and exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: I suggest a room facing Chestnut Street for both the view and avoiding noise from the trollies
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Larry G,

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. We are please to hear that we exceeded your expectations and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

It is best place to stay for you if you want to be near the University of Pennsylvania. You can walk to Chestnut street and catch the bus and subway to the center of city. All in all, it is clean with friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Omid13
Dear Omid13:
We truly appreciate you taking the time to write of your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the room was clean. A great location for U of PA visitors. A variety of restaurants are within easy walking distance. My only complaint is that parking is expensive and not free for guests of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Really liked this hotel! The young man who was at the Front Desk the night of 7/5 was super helpful. The hotel has one of Philly's BEST Chinese restaurants, "Sangkee", it was suberb! I asked (and paid) to be upgraded to the Executive Level and it was fantastic to have that extra room to lounge in with it's great views, in the afternoon they served the most AMAZING cupcakes by a Pastry Chef who has been associated with the hotel for awhile but his cupcakes were mod-looking and WOW to how he gets his flavors MEMORABLE. I felt secure, well-rested and totally and pampered. There was one gentleman that worked as a Bellman/Assistant, he was extremely welcoming to my friend and I, I believe his name was Curtis, he's an asset to your team, a lovely kind person! Thank you for a wonderful wonderful stay and for the fancy robes we got to use during our stay! We love the Sheraton Philadelphia University City, let your Front Desk Staff sit on chairs in front though!

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

OK, I have to admit that the hotel was far behind some other facilities that I would rate 4 stars, but given the premium location if you have business at U Penn, my rating is rounded up to 4. There are Pros and Cons like any other facility. The pros are location, friendly staff, free internet, acceptable room size and that is it. The cons are weird and outdated air conditioner that literally is out of your control, no safe deposit in the room and no minibar as well. I was charged for a bottle of water that should have been complimentary. The check in was smooth but at the check out I had to wait 20 min. just to hear that they will not issue a receipt (not even for room service charges!?) since I had reserved through a third-party. Overall, no big issue except for the aircon. Perhaps the hotel is slightly underrated on Trip Advisor, but there is durely a reason for everything!

Room Tip: Make sure your air conditioner is controllable (temperature, fan) .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business