“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Ranked #12 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had heard that the hotel was nice, but was somewhat skeptical. Upon arrival, I was upgraded to a two-room suite for my week-long visit which was certainly a nice surprise (apparently due to my SPG membership). The two most remarkable things were the comfortable bed and friendly staff. From the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff and engineers, all were very friendly despite my experience of the contrary from the average Philadelphian. One note of improvement: the quality of the breakfast could be better, especially as this city prides itself on its many quality eating establishments.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Elissa01,
Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. We truly appreciate your comments about our team members and the friendly service that they provided you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've stayed here on numerous occasions over the past 8 years, most recently the night before last. The location can't be beat for its proximity to the University of Pennsylvania & the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (and the metro is just 2 blocks away). There are plenty of restaurants (including lots of ethnic restaurants) within easy walking distance & I usually try something new on each trip. I have always found the service at the hotel to be friendly and responsive. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I have no doubt I'll be back. The only downside is that the rooms can be on the pricey side ... but sometimes convenience is worth paying for.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear cfischer17:
We truly appreciate your loyalty and taking the time to write a review of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you, again, soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed here on a recent college visit trip with my wirfe and son. The location is great if you are visiting UPenn or Drexel-- the schools are a short walk and the neighborhood offers a lot in terms of dining, shopping, etc.-- a fun location. Had a double queen room on the club level (I think we got the upgade because we were SPG members). The room was clean, well appointed and in excellent repair. The lobby was nice-- check in was smooth and the staff was friendly and professional. Evening drink reception and morning breakfast in club lounge was pefectly acceptable. The fitness center was well equipped and satisfactory-- liked the free headphones being available. Parking in abutting garange convenient and reasonably priced, though the stallls, aisles were a bit tight. I was a bit concerned about booking here when I read some of the other reviews, but have to say that I experienced none of the problems that other reviewers complained about-- based on my experience, I would stay here again and recoomend.

Room Tip: Based on our experience, the club level was fine-- can't speak to other rooms in the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear MachdunesManager:
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. It is wonderful to hear of your stay with us. The club rooms and lounge are a great choice to experience. We appreciate your loyalty as an SPG member, as well. We hope to see you with us, again, in the near future!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

So near Penn -- can't beat the location. Check-in was easy, love the free wi-fi in the rooms (finally -- thank you, Sheraton!), parking garage very convenient. On the bad side, I have to agree with other reviews -- this is the same "standard Sheraton old and drab." The rooms need a lot of work -- the bathroom was particularly bad -- peeling old wallpaper, the bathroom tile (floor and trim) was really dirty particularly behind the door. Disappointing considering the high rate.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Mechael:
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We truly appreciate your comments and feedback. We are excited to hear that you loved the location and complimentary Wi-Fi that is available throughout the hotel. It is disappointing to hear of the condition of your guest room bathroom. Please know that we are undergoing renovations this summer for all guest rooms and hope that you will come back to see the changes that we are making. We would love the opportunity to speak with you so that we may correct the issues immediately in the room you stayed in. Please feel free to connect with our Guest Serivces Team at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 or at sheraton@sheruniv.com.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My fiancé , Christin and I have stayed at this hotel 3 different times. We keep coming back because they treat us very well. I'm very pleased with the service and value. The beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms are cozy. We love it!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear DocSnott:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! It is wonderful to hear that you have stayed with us several times and will continue to return. We also look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My son and I stayed here one night while visiting Penn. Excellent location ... only a five-minute walk to campus. The parking rate of $25 is reasonable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to schedule a campus tour at Penn.

Dear Linda E:

It is wonderful to hear of your experience with us! We truly appreciate you posting a review of our property. Our location on Penn's campus is ideal for visiting the University. We hope to see you over the next several years should your son decide to atttend Penn!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I cannot believe how friendly and helpful the people of Philadelphia are! The staff at the hotel was wonderful. We stayed there because my cousin was having surgery at Penn University Hospital and they gave us a "hospital" discount. It was pricey but the room was clean and the staff gave us extra towels when asked and everyone was helpful. The hotel's restaurant was also very good.

Room Tip: We were on the eighth floor, so our view wasn't great. If you stay above the 18th floor you can...

Dear momma225:
Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments of your stay with us! We hope that your cousin is recovering well from surgery. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in Philadelphia!