“Great Location!”

Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Bloomington, Indiana
“Great Location!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

So near Penn -- can't beat the location. Check-in was easy, love the free wi-fi in the rooms (finally -- thank you, Sheraton!), parking garage very convenient. On the bad side, I have to agree with other reviews -- this is the same "standard Sheraton old and drab." The rooms need a lot of work -- the bathroom was particularly bad -- peeling old wallpaper, the bathroom tile (floor and trim) was really dirty particularly behind the door. Disappointing considering the high rate.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Mechael:
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We truly appreciate your comments and feedback. We are excited to hear that you loved the location and complimentary Wi-Fi that is available throughout the hotel. It is disappointing to hear of the condition of your guest room bathroom. Please know that we are undergoing renovations this summer for all guest rooms and hope that you will come back to see the changes that we are making. We would love the opportunity to speak with you so that we may correct the issues immediately in the room you stayed in. Please feel free to connect with our Guest Serivces Team at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 or at sheraton@sheruniv.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My fiancé , Christin and I have stayed at this hotel 3 different times. We keep coming back because they treat us very well. I'm very pleased with the service and value. The beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms are cozy. We love it!!!

• Stayed February 2013
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear DocSnott:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! It is wonderful to hear that you have stayed with us several times and will continue to return. We also look forward to welcoming you back!

Park City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My son and I stayed here one night while visiting Penn. Excellent location ... only a five-minute walk to campus. The parking rate of $25 is reasonable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to schedule a campus tour at Penn.

Dear Linda E:

It is wonderful to hear of your experience with us! We truly appreciate you posting a review of our property. Our location on Penn's campus is ideal for visiting the University. We hope to see you over the next several years should your son decide to atttend Penn!

Henrietta, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I cannot believe how friendly and helpful the people of Philadelphia are! The staff at the hotel was wonderful. We stayed there because my cousin was having surgery at Penn University Hospital and they gave us a "hospital" discount. It was pricey but the room was clean and the staff gave us extra towels when asked and everyone was helpful. The hotel's restaurant was also very good.

Room Tip: We were on the eighth floor, so our view wasn't great. If you stay above the 18th floor you can...
Dear momma225:
Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments of your stay with us! We hope that your cousin is recovering well from surgery. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in Philadelphia!

Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This hotel was dirty, the lobby smelled bad, and the staff was indifferent. The hallways were littered with trays of food that were not picked up for days, the club lounge was unkempt and the staff there spent more time watching the television than providing service.

Dear emmyandmom:
We are deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. We would love the chance to speak with you further about your stay – please contact us anytime at 215-387-8000, ext. 627 or sheraton@sheruniv.com.

Hunterdon, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I had to stay here for 1 night because of a business meeting in the area. I had never stayed at this particular place before having always spent time at hotels in center city.
The location was great. Close to my clients and within walking distance to great restaurants.
The $25 per day parking was also much better than the close to $40 a day at the center city hotels. Plus, you are paid up until 6pm the day you check out. I think that is completely fair and well worth it.

The downside: The rooms. The TV did not work in the room at all. No power. I complained but told them not to worry about it bec. I wasn't watching TV anyway but they should know that for the next guest.

The locks in the room were broken. The bolt that you swing over to the outside hallway was broken and the lock to connect you to the ajoining room also wasn't able to lock. I put my suitcase and the luggage rack directly in front the door to make me feel more safe. If it is like this w/ one room, then I have to assume other rooms are also like that. The management needs to fix the locks to ensure safety.

Lastly, I learned that you cannot access the bathroom in the hotel lobby (downstairs) after hours? What? It is a security issue? So, I came in from outside from walking all over and having dinner and now I can't access the bathrooms except to wait for the elevator and go to my room? I have never had this at a hotel before and I stay in hotels at least 50 nights per year. Please put a key access point on the bathroom then if you are so concerned----but, not allowing GUESTS to use the main bathroom after a certain time at night is ridiculous.

Needless to say, I will happily go back to my center city hotels in the future and pay for the cab to the other side.

Oh, and if you complain..... You are just told the same thing each time.... OK, thank you for letting us know, I will make a note of that for the manager.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NJ_traveling_along
Dear NJ_traveling_along:
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Checking into a room with several maintenance issues can leave a negative lasting impression that overshadows the rest of any trip. We will also be reviewing our policies regarding public restroom access for our guests in the lobby area. We understand that this is an inconvenience for our guests to have to wait for an elevator to get to their guest room to utilize the bathrooms. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you as our guest.

Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Although the rooms were standard Sheraton old and drab, the staff at this hotel made our stay so comfortable, that I can't help but pass on the kudos to Tripadvisor and the Sheraton company.
Check was a breeze-less than 2 minutes, room was perfect temperature, beds were sooo comfy, two comforters for the extra cold night in Philly and extra pillows, non-allergenic as I requested on line, extra towels as requested on line.
I called for shower cap when I got to my room and it was there in under 10 minutes!
Breakfast came to the room warm and timely.
Check out receptionist went above and beyond, storing our bags for us. And when we came later in the day to egt our bags and car to head out, they comped me the extra 20 minutes of parking instead of charging me!
Philadelphia is a friendly city, and the folks at this hotel are efficient with a smile!

Room Tip: If you are visiting the universities in Philadelphia, this is the hotel for you. There is a Starbuck...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kavitab:
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!