Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown(Philadelphia)
1,516 results
All reviewschef michaeluniversity citythe club loungenoodle housefront deskpenn's campusstreet stationfitness centerhousekeeping staffper daychecking inconvenient locationacross the streetbeds were comfortableenjoyed my stayfew blocksdrexel
Reviewed December 20, 2012

While this property might not be the most up do date in terms of furnishings, the people who work there are so nice and helpful it doesn't really matter what the hotel looks like. I arrived from an overseas flight sick as a dog and asked to be allowed to check in early. It was not a problem. Anything we needed from the front desk appeared very quickly, which was amazing because it was Thanksgiving. The bellman was very helpful with my luggage and all the employees were super nice. I would stay here again when in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Initially chosen for the location, 4 blocks from U Penn Hospital, would rather have been further away at a nicer place. Upon entry into lobby and checking in, was met with an individual that clearly did not get trained in proper customer service behavior. He was unfriendly, unhelpful, unkempt, and seemed annoyed that we were bothering him. The overall smell of the hotel is stale and old. The room was clean but as many have also noted, needs to be updated. No fridge in the room and the bathroom offers the absolute minimum in functionality. Would never stay here ever again and would encourage others to look elsewhere before staying at this hotel.

Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Philadelphia was a pit stop stay before my Delaware meeting. This Sheraton was near the Amtrak station, making it attractive to get to Wilmington. Proximity to transportation is the only attractive thing I can report. SERVICE: A delayed flight prompted me to call the hotel. Hotel Staff said if I used a credit card the reservation was good until midnight. I'm perplexed that me calling to verify I'm enroute doesn't trump a credit card and hold my room past 12 if needed. He verified my king bed request; 40 minutes later I was given two beds. ACCOMMODATIONS: The hotel is situated among University of Pennsylvania and other schools/medical centers and is probably geared to visiting parents or students. My room was very "tired" - old furniture, stained carpet and dirty walls. Bedside light didn't work; no convenient plug in for blackberry charger. Noise is a factor; I could hear guest in next room using the bathroom. Staff encountered in hallways were not friendly - which I've come to count on everywhere I go. Sorry Sheraton. You really miss the mark in University City.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Conveniently located near Penn and Drexel. The room was comfortable and adequately furnished, but it just looked dated. Tip: The $20/day fee to get access to the club room made the stay more comfortable. I spent several hours doing laptop work up there. The food was so-so, decent fruit plates, but the satay was dry and not very flavorful. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you're going to spend several waking hours in the room, consider buying access to the club room.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'd stay here again especially with the $99 deal I found on the web site, but I'd ask for a room facing away from the street, because with a big single-pane window looking down on a street that's a regular ambulance route, it can be a little noisy.

I found the staff friendly and helpful, but I didn't need to ask for much, so I can't judge very well. The room was generally nice and in good shape, but needing attention in some aspects: seriously rusty doorframe, mold on the ceiling above the shower, and scotch tape on the faucet.

As many have said, the location is good for Drexel and Penn; it's also a reasonably short and safe-feeling walk from the main train station (30th St.) if you are arriving on Amtrak or taking the train from the airport (which conveniently goes directly to each terminal).

Despite the room needing a little attention to detail, there are areas in which you get top quality--for example the in-room Starbucks coffee tasted a lot better than what I'd been drinking in a lower-tier hotel the prior few days.

Room Tip: Higher floors and the north side are likely to be quieter.