Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
$179
$149
Agoda.com
1,516 results
All reviewschef michaeluniversity citythe club loungenoodle housefront deskpenn's campusstreet stationfitness centerhousekeeping staffper daychecking inconvenient locationacross the streetbeds were comfortableenjoyed my stayfew blocksdrexel
Reviewed September 27, 2012

No-frills Sheraton. Exceptionally clean, freshly renovated rooms. Front desk staff was professional and efficient. Good fitness room with new aerobic machines.
Skip the restaurant in the lobby. Plenty of more appealing options in the University neighborhood.

Room Tip: Mini-suites are worth the investment for more than one person.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JR8675309
SheratonPhiladelphia, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our Hotel. Of course we realize that with our restaurant offering Chinese cuisine, the menu can be limiting to some, but we're happy you discovered University City, where at least 50 food establishments are steps from our door, all walking distance, from casual to 4 star. The Front Desk will even offer a pre-printed list of preferred places for your convenience. We're happy you were please with your room and hope you return soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hotel was clean and had a really nice view of the University Stadium. Parking was moderately priced. The hotel was on a main street so there was plenty of walking to the downtown area of Philly. The beds could use some updating but overall I have no complaints.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Hello, RJH:

The view of Franklin Field is incredible! Thank you for the review and we hope to have you as our guest, again, in the near future!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel itself is nice, clean rooms, the staff in the Club Lounge are very friendly.

The Front desk staff need serious training in hospitality. I have never found reception to be so unwelcoming. As much as i would like to think it was a bad day, it happened on two consecutive stays. I do however now understand the inner workings of the houskeeping staff and why I can't get a room on the floor I requested.

Try the Inn at Penn, much friendlier staff and the rooms are just as nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Dolores S,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear that the majority of your stay with us was nice; however, your comments of our unwelcoming front office staff is concerning.

One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. We would like to be able to discuss this further with you on the specific incident. Please contact our Guest Services Managers at 215-387-8000, ext. 627. We look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was surprised at the reviewer who received perks as an SPG member, as a member with a lot of points and frequent stayer we received a mediocre room. The room was old and musty and the wallpaper was coming off the walls. It seems some things have been updated but it just did not feel clean or comfortable. The lobby is deceptive as it does not mesh with what you get in the rooms. Staff were also a bit surely and unfriendly. The location is great for Penn though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LostSojourner,
Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. We are disappointed to hear that your room accommodations were not up to our level of quality or your expectations. We truly appreciate your comments and would love to hear from you further to address the housekeeping/maintenance issues that you mentioned in your guest room. We welcome the opportunity for you to connect with our Guest Services Team at sheraton@sheruniv.com or 215-387-8000, ext. 627 so that we may resolve the issues. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future and show you that your room experience was not indicative of our room conditions.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I booked this hotel VERY inexpensively (and blindly) via Priceline.com. As a result, I fully expected to get the worst room, but as a member of the Starwood preferred guest program, I was given a lovely king suite on the "Starwood Preferred Guest Floor" (16th). (Keep in mind, I don't have a lot of points with them and was upgraded without asking.) The front desk staff were efficient and friendly. Most of the staff I passed in the halls were quick to say hello with a smile before I even noticed they were there. I did not encounter the same difficulty that others mentioned regarding lousy WiFi, though I did not try to stream any large files. The pool area looks recently renovated but is completely outdoors, so in a few more weeks it won't be useful. I did enjoy a few laps this time around - pool & surrounding deck were clean and neat with plenty of deck chairs. The gym is small but also recently renovated and clean. Parking is offered at $25/night - a bit steep considering nearby lots go for less. Location is convenient for UPenn, Drexel, CHOP, & HUP. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone planning on spending most of their time in Center City, as its a bit of a hike to walk. Bus would probably take about 30 mins to Broad Street in Center City, and does stop right outside the door. Close to restaurants and a few retail stores. Biggest letdown: poor water pressure coupled with a weirdly low showerhead (I'm 5"7" and had to crouch under it) and poor tub drainage made for a less than perfect shower experience. Other than that, not too bad of a stay thanks to the Priceline Negotiator! I might have felt less enthusiastic had I paid the full rack rate.

Room Tip: Join the guest rewards program - it helped me get upgraded to a suite for free.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business