Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Rittenhouse Hotel(Philadelphia)
Sonesta Philadelphia Downtown(Philadelphia)
1,501 results
All reviewschef michaeluniversity citythe club loungenoodle housefront deskpenn's campusstreet stationfitness centerhousekeeping staffper daychecking inconvenient locationacross the streetbeds were comfortableenjoyed my stayfew blocksdrexel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed at the Sheraton University City this past week and came away with a great experience. A young man Evan checked us in and saw me several times during my stay and always addressed me by name and asked if I was enjoying my stay. The concierge lounge staff especially Theresa and Sanjay were personable and accommodating even during busy times. It was busy with parents bringing their kids to Univ of Penn and Drexel that week.
You are away from most City Center attractions but the Market Frankford Septa line gets you into the downtown area in 3 stops. We took the subway or trolley almost everywhere even to Citizens Bank Park. We always felt safe even wearing Mets shirts to a Phiilies game.
Its a full service hotel so thats what you pay for. Parking is expensive in all urban cities like NY, Boston, Washington DC so again be prepared to pay for this precious comodity.
Pool was rarely used so it was like having it all to ourselves. So overall we enjoyed our trip and the hotel was as expected perfect for our needs.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SheratonPhiladelphia, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear MrCustomerService,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves and our team members helped to make it happen. Our outdoor pool is a nice, relaxing experience. We are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to use it!

Thank you for your review and recognizing several of our team members. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked through Hotwire (opaque stay), and received a great rate - $70/night. This rate was, by far, the cheapest rate I could find for the area for my stay dates. But my cheap rate earned me a room on the lowest floor (7) right above the parking garage. I'm not saying that just because I booked a Hotwire stay, I received one of the worst rooms in the hotel, I'm just saying that it seems to correlate.

The hotel was well located, if you're interested in staying near UPenn (right across the street) or Drexel University (near the SEPTA train station at 34th/Market). If you're interested in the many tourist destinations of the Philadelphia area, this hotel may not be for you. Granted, it is just 3 blocks from the nearest SEPTA train station (34th/Market), but you're definitely not in the heart of the city, and the neighborhood (north of the hotel) can feel a bit "rough" if you're traveling solo.

Downtown is a quick subway ride away (buy tokens rather than pay for individual entries, as it's cheaper - $1.55/token - must buy 2 or more, versus $2.00/ride), and many of the major American historical destinations are on the Market Street subway line, so you don't have to transfer. Get off at the 5th Street station for Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, the US Mint, etc (all free to visit - for Independence Hall you must get a free ticket from the Independence Hall Welcome Center).

The room, itself, was decently sized (though, it was smaller than my stays in NYC and Washington DC earlier in the week) for one person, albeit a bit dated. I received a Double room upon early check-in (I originally requested a King). As is normal for me, I read through the handbook that they place in the room (room service guide) and was immediately disgusted, as a previous guest must have had a child that scribbled all over the insides of the book AND either smeared ketchup or blood all over the inside pages. You better believe that I immediately washed my hands after touching that.

I did have issues with the bathroom, as the tub was not draining properly. By the end of my shower, I stood in a tub full of water. Aside from that, though, the bathroom was fine.

On my second day, I stayed in for much of the day, and emerged to get food and a little bit of sightseeing. Every time I emerged, there were bags of garbage outside of many of the rooms on my floor. These bags of garbage sat for much of the day. It was definitely not a pleasant sight to see.

Aside from those issues, the bed was fine, and the room was relatively quiet. I had an adjoining room, though, and either the guests next door were being loud, or housekeeping was doing something in there, as every now and again something would smack against the wall and the door.

The Chinese restaurant downstairs was pretty good. Relatively cheap for hotel dining, and my takeout order was ready within a few minutes of ordering.

Overall an okay stay in Philadelphia. It could have been worse, but then again, it could have been a lot better. For $70/night + taxes/fees, I might stay again, but I probably would not pay rack rate.

Room Tip: If you check in early, ask for an upper floor!
Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear pdxkelly,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We truly appreciate your comments and feedback, but are disappointed to hear of your unsatisfactory stay. Your experience is not up to our standards and would like to address the issues you noted.

Let me assure you that your room designation was not adjusted due to your booking through ‘Hotwire.com’ – all our guestrooms are assigned at time of check-in regardless of their booking source. However, the condition of the bathroom, lack of cleanliness of the in-room directory and trash in the hallway is unacceptable. We hope that you will connect with our Front Office Team at sheraton@sheruniv.com or 215-387-8000, ext. 627 to advise on the particular room that you were in. We would like an opportunity to correct these issues. Our Director of Housekeeping has also reviewed and implemented new housekeeping procedures on keeping the hallways clear of trash while servicing guest rooms.

We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you during your next visit to Philadelphia.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Mediocre, chain atmosphere, ordinary rooms (although quite large with good windows and A/C). Tiny pool. Friendly service. Quite expensive. Stay downtown if you can, you can do much better than this. Like stepping back into the '70's.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear EagleEyeBoston,

We are disappointed to hear that you did not find value in your stay with us. We do offer an outdoor pool experience; complimentary wireless Internet in all guest rooms and throughout the hotel; as well as an ideal location on campus of Penn. Transportation into Center City is also easily accessible from the hotel.

We would love an opportunity to speak with you further about how we can improve upon the experience with us.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Hotel is outside of city center, but in a nice university area worthy of exploring in its own right. Bus stop in front of hotel a block away will bring you anywhere in center city for a $2 fare. Parking (self, not valet) is $25/night, which is somewhat steep, but is very convenient with in-and-out privileges.

Hotel itself is nicely appointed and well decorated. There is a business center with computers and a printer, which comes in handy for airline tickets, Groupon certificates, etc. The rooms are very nice and housekeeping keeps them clean. Complementary Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea was a nice touch, along with a few bottles of water. There is a nice 'rooftop' pool on the 7th (?) floor. Mostly families hanging out in the early evening during the week.

There is an Asian noodle house as the hotel restaurant that tries to be a bit more than it should. However, the Asian food is good and we enjoyed a dinner there.

Staff is friendly and helpful. Concierge has a pre-printed restaurant recommendation sheet which came in handy for those who don't want to explore too far. Neighborhood feels safe in the immediate vicinity, but wouldn't feel terribly comfortable 5 to 6 blocks west or north.

Overall, a nice hotel in decent area with a helpful staff. Can't ask for too much more than that!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Chestnut can be somewhat noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Pete M,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write of your nice experience with us! It sounds like you had an opportunity to experience most of the hotel's amenities, as well. The Link@Sheraton is a great location for guests to print out documents complimentary, as well as utilize the computers with complimentary Internet access.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Plus:
- Big enough rooms
- Clean
- In a better neighbourhood than most of the other hotels in Philly, so felt pretty safe

Minus:
- Shower was too low and too small for a 6ft male
- Not all the cable channels, so not much to watch
- Food in surrounding restaurants was not so great (although not really their fault)
- Service from front desk was slow. I waited 10 mins just to get change for the vending machine.
- A little noisy, I heard EVERY firetruck and cop car that drove past with a siren

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business