“Excellent sandwich!”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Had one of the famous award winning sandwiches while in Philly. It WAS excellent. The service was quick since I was there early. Although the lines can get pretty lengthy at peak lunch and dinner hours.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Went to Philly and planned on a Philly cheesesteak sandwich. Yes, the Florida girl wanted to experience Philly for what it was none for, besides the Liberty Bell and the rest of history! Well The roast pork, sharp provolone, broccoli rabe sandwich made history for me. It was by far the best sandwich I had ever had. Pork is always hit or miss, too dry, too fatty. But DiNic's pork is most, lean and delicious! Pass on the philly and have the pork! Worth the drive to Pa just for the sandwich!

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I'm not going to get caught up in the debate as to whether or not this is America's best sandwich. It's a bold statement that sets itself up to inevitably let down impossibly high expectations. That said, IMO DiNic's roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe sandwich is fantastic and well worth trying.
I was in Philly on a 61/2 hour layover from an overseas flight, so decided to take the train into the city to explore. (A very easy task that is worth the effort fellow travelers - if you should find yourself in a similar situation). I'd never been to Reading Terminal Market (where DiNic's is located) which in itself is worth the trip. A great place to wander around, bustling with people and food of all types. The line didn't appear to be too long, so I joined it. A tip I learned shortly after lining up - a lot of people are lining up to take out. When a seat becomes available at the counter that surrounds the 'kitchen' have a seat and a server will take your order right away. It was mid Saturday afternoon and I was seated and ordered within about 4mins even though the line carried on.
Service was friendly and very fast. Listen to what others are ordering while you're in line and have your order ready... Some of the servers are impatient, though kind of endearingly so.
The sandwich arrived and was bigger than I'd expected and at $8.50 a great value i thought - Loaded with VERY juicy tender pork, a nice sharp provolone and delicious, garlic laced broccoli rabe. Where I've read others' complaints about the bitterness of the rabe, I thought it added a fantastic depth to the flavor when mixed with the garlic and the sweetness of the pork. I was astounded by the bread's ability to remain intact with the amount of juice in the sandwich. Only the inner layer seemed to sponge it up, while the outside kept a nice chewy texture.

To sum up - don't expect the impossible, just a delicious sandwich and a fun experience, and I'm quite certain you'll love it.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Harmed about DiNics's from a friend and was not disappointed. Even though the line was long, it was worth the wait. The pulled pork was to die for. Great taste and the bread was very goog. If you go to Reading Terminal Market make a stop at DiNics's. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had heard that this place had America's best sandwich. While I do admit that that title is tough to live up to for anyone, a person does expect a certain level of quality given that this place isn't shy about reminding folks about being crowned the best.

I asked for the sandwich that made them famous, and sure enough, it was brought to me after a short wait. It should be noted that I skipped the long line by lucking out and grabbing a seat at the counter. The pork was a little dry, but fresh. The cheese was spot on and the broccoli rabe was fine. Contents were wrapped in a decent bun, dipped in juice.

All in all, the sandwich was OK, just OK. In fact, I think I could easily make the same or better at home. The weird thing was that I spent a week in Philly and ate sandwiches from four different places. This one ranked third. I even had one at the Linc that was a little tastier.

It is sure worth a try, and the value and service were fine. In sum, I was underwhelmed by the whole experience.

Been to Tommy DiNic's? Share your experiences!