“Fabulous hotel and lodging experience”

Chestnut Hill Hotel
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Last week I visited Philadelphia for a two-day, one-night business trip. I lodged at the Chestnut Hill hotel during my trip. The Chestnut Hill hotel is gorgeously appointed, updated, and comfortable (especially in the carriage house where I stayed), the staff is warm, professional, and very helpful, the location is charming, and the services are first-rate. My entire experience was excellent and perfect in all ways. I look forward to returning time and time again.

Room Tip: Updating of the carriage house is spectacular and perfectly-appointed!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed at the hotel recently due to the ice storm which left our neighborhood without power. I live in the neighborhood so I never have a need to stay at the hotel. As a neighbor, I have watched and enjoyed seeing all the renovations, the fire pit, the lovely new garden and all the enhancements to the outside of the hotel. After my stay I can now say the inside renovations are just as lovely. But more important was the staff and the warm reception they gave all of the tired and stressed out customers. They were warm and extremely patient under very difficult conditions. It was refreshing to experience such personal service. I'm forever grateful!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank linda h
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Since flu like symptoms had taken over one day before the ice storm and subsequent power outage the thought of toughing it out at home for days was intolerable. All I could think of was the fabulous respite we found two years ago during a winter power outage....once again, a combination of persistence and luck landed us a room at the lovely Chesnut Hill Hotel. I was in heaven....it was warm, clean and extremely comfortable....exactly as I had remembered. The bed was luxurious, the all marble bathroom pristine. There is also a plentiful self serve breakfast in a pretty room set up for the guests of the 36 room hotel. Did I mention the owner's personal touch? He was sincerely interested in our feedback, having asked multiple times about our comfort. He is a very charismatic but low key gentleman who takes much pride in his home away from home. It shows in all of the details but mostly in his genuine interest in knowing that you are enjoying your stay. With the great Chestnut Grill through a door the stay is complete....all under one roof. We had several good meals at the bar where the comraderie is only second to the food. Should one be interested in venturing out there are shops, restaurants and a farmers market all just steps away. We honestly wanted for nothing....in the midst of one of philadelphia's worst storms and its aftermath that is really saying something.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Mary Ann L
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I decided that staying at home through the black-out ravages of the Big Ice Storm was not a feasible option, and I ended up for the first time staying two nights at this hotel near my home. It was a chore checking in due to the extreme power failures in Pennsylvania, but the lights were on, and the two desk clerks were cheerfully on it (overtime) manually helping people, both those with reservations and those who had wandered in from their freezing abodes for temporary shelter. The owner appeared from time to time, working out problems with finesse as we awaited word of available rooms--they have 36--and he assured us things would all work out for us, even providing free drinks from the bar and Shirley Temples for the children in the lobby. Finally, I got an entry card-key and was able to collapse on a beautifully furnished bed in a nice room on the second floor, overlooking the newly restored farmers' market (with free parking) and garden with a working waterfall fountain and fire pit. During the course of my stay, I used the shared iMac and the nice little exercise room on my floor, chatted with other guests and read my complimentary newspaper during the free continental breakfast off the lobby, and enjoyed my stay immensely (besides, it was toasty and warm!). Although I believe the cost has risen since revamping the hotel recently, it's a lovely venue at present, in a lovely part of Philly that's like a town unto itself, and I highly recommend a stay there.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank jenfren
Reviewed February 1, 2014

i've stayed here a number of times. the rooms are very clean, the service super friendly and helpful and the beds are as good as they get. i've been in double rooms, and single rooms and have seen the carriage house rooms. all are beautifully decorated, thought out and tasteful.
the hotel is situated in one of the quaintest of neighborhoods in philadelphia as well. plenty of shops and eateries along a very manageable walk up and down the avenue.
plus? the hotel has the only free parking in chestnut hill.
did i mention how comfortable the beds are?
enjoy the adjoining restaurants, the fire pit with s'mores and the ipod/iphone jack to set the scene with your own music.

Room Tip: my favorite room is 405!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at Chestnut Hill during a university visit in Philadelphia (about 10 miles away). The room was clean, but it was very small; just big enough for the bed and a little wiggle room for the desk chair. There was also very little room in the closet to hang clothes. I was only able to fit a coat and shirt. Luckily that is all I took for an overnight trip. Fortunately, the bathroom appeared to be recently remodeled and was bright and clean. Nice big TV and free wireless, which were appreciated. The bed was quite comfortable. Despite the space limitations (if you don't need the closet space and are not planning on exercising in the room), this hotel serves its purpose (a clean, smoke free, quiet, and safe place to lay your head for the night). Oh, a continental breakfast is complimentary. Overall, Chestnut Hill is a nice place, however, I will likely not go back, especially if I have a guest as she would cringe at the lack of space, which would not be sufficient for the two of us.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anthony K
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hotel is very convenient because it has a parking lot and is close to a bus stop and train station. There are many restaurants and bars nearby. There is also a museum and hospital close to the hotel. There is an outdoor fire pit where you can relax and listen to your own music by hooking up your iPod or iPhone and you can read your book. You can also do a lot of shopping in Chestnut Hill on Germantown Avenue. It is a pet friendly hotel and I loved being able to have my dog in the room
with me.