“An emphatic TEN!!”

Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
“An emphatic TEN!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Since flu like symptoms had taken over one day before the ice storm and subsequent power outage the thought of toughing it out at home for days was intolerable. All I could think of was the fabulous respite we found two years ago during a winter power outage....once again, a combination of persistence and luck landed us a room at the lovely Chesnut Hill Hotel. I was in heaven....it was warm, clean and extremely comfortable....exactly as I had remembered. The bed was luxurious, the all marble bathroom pristine. There is also a plentiful self serve breakfast in a pretty room set up for the guests of the 36 room hotel. Did I mention the owner's personal touch? He was sincerely interested in our feedback, having asked multiple times about our comfort. He is a very charismatic but low key gentleman who takes much pride in his home away from home. It shows in all of the details but mostly in his genuine interest in knowing that you are enjoying your stay. With the great Chestnut Grill through a door the stay is complete....all under one roof. We had several good meals at the bar where the comraderie is only second to the food. Should one be interested in venturing out there are shops, restaurants and a farmers market all just steps away. We honestly wanted for nothing....in the midst of one of philadelphia's worst storms and its aftermath that is really saying something.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Mary Ann L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I decided that staying at home through the black-out ravages of the Big Ice Storm was not a feasible option, and I ended up for the first time staying two nights at this hotel near my home. It was a chore checking in due to the extreme power failures in Pennsylvania, but the lights were on, and the two desk clerks were cheerfully on it (overtime) manually helping people, both those with reservations and those who had wandered in from their freezing abodes for temporary shelter. The owner appeared from time to time, working out problems with finesse as we awaited word of available rooms--they have 36--and he assured us things would all work out for us, even providing free drinks from the bar and Shirley Temples for the children in the lobby. Finally, I got an entry card-key and was able to collapse on a beautifully furnished bed in a nice room on the second floor, overlooking the newly restored farmers' market (with free parking) and garden with a working waterfall fountain and fire pit. During the course of my stay, I used the shared iMac and the nice little exercise room on my floor, chatted with other guests and read my complimentary newspaper during the free continental breakfast off the lobby, and enjoyed my stay immensely (besides, it was toasty and warm!). Although I believe the cost has risen since revamping the hotel recently, it's a lovely venue at present, in a lovely part of Philly that's like a town unto itself, and I highly recommend a stay there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank jenfren
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

i've stayed here a number of times. the rooms are very clean, the service super friendly and helpful and the beds are as good as they get. i've been in double rooms, and single rooms and have seen the carriage house rooms. all are beautifully decorated, thought out and tasteful.
the hotel is situated in one of the quaintest of neighborhoods in philadelphia as well. plenty of shops and eateries along a very manageable walk up and down the avenue.
plus? the hotel has the only free parking in chestnut hill.
did i mention how comfortable the beds are?
enjoy the adjoining restaurants, the fire pit with s'mores and the ipod/iphone jack to set the scene with your own music.

Room Tip: my favorite room is 405!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed at Chestnut Hill during a university visit in Philadelphia (about 10 miles away). The room was clean, but it was very small; just big enough for the bed and a little wiggle room for the desk chair. There was also very little room in the closet to hang clothes. I was only able to fit a coat and shirt. Luckily that is all I took for an overnight trip. Fortunately, the bathroom appeared to be recently remodeled and was bright and clean. Nice big TV and free wireless, which were appreciated. The bed was quite comfortable. Despite the space limitations (if you don't need the closet space and are not planning on exercising in the room), this hotel serves its purpose (a clean, smoke free, quiet, and safe place to lay your head for the night). Oh, a continental breakfast is complimentary. Overall, Chestnut Hill is a nice place, however, I will likely not go back, especially if I have a guest as she would cringe at the lack of space, which would not be sufficient for the two of us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony K
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hotel is very convenient because it has a parking lot and is close to a bus stop and train station. There are many restaurants and bars nearby. There is also a museum and hospital close to the hotel. There is an outdoor fire pit where you can relax and listen to your own music by hooking up your iPod or iPhone and you can read your book. You can also do a lot of shopping in Chestnut Hill on Germantown Avenue. It is a pet friendly hotel and I loved being able to have my dog in the room
with me.

• Stayed January 2014
Braintree, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were coming to the Philly area for a family event. Good friends told us about the Chestnut Hill Hotel and we so glad they did. A lovely property, reminiscent of a small upscale London hotel The room was well furnished and the bathroom was gorgeous. The continental breakfast was served in a "real" dining room, with "real" tables, set with "real" linens, etc.

Chestnut Hill itself is a treat. We came in the night before, had a delightful dinner at the restaurant adjacent to the hotel -- entry though the lobby - and then took in the play at the community theatre playhouse down the street.

This is now our "go to place" when we visit Philly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RamblinMar
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 days at the Chestnut Hill Hotel. We had previously lived in the neighborhood and were back for a visit. We arrived early (11:30am), but were able to check into our room (in the post office annex with a king bed). The only problem was that the temperature in the room was 49 degrees farenheit when we arrived and it took over 4 hours for it to even get into the 60s. I guess if we had checked in at the usual time, it would have been warmed up for us. Otherwise we loved the room and the hotel and the breakfast. The decor in the hallways, rooms, lobby, and dining room is wonderful. There is no coffee maker in the room, but there is a microwave and a refrigerator.
The breakfast is fairly typical complimentary food, cold cereal, granola, yogurt, pastries, bagels, boiled eggs, waffle maker, plus a nice fresh fruit salad and exceptionally good wheat bread for toast. What really makes it special is the tables set with real plates, coffee cups, cutlery, and cloth napkins.
The bed was amazingly comfortable, and I am really picky about that. The shower had great water pressure, but the half glass door is not the greatest design. Don't leave any clothes on the floor or they may get wet.
Chestnut Hill is such a great neighborhood for shopping, pubs, and restaurants. Don't miss the Metropolitan Bakery and the Cheese Shop. We took the train from the airport to the hotel - very convenient. The train is also convenient for going downtown and back.

Room Tip: Our room in the post office annex was wonderful (although cold at first)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple