“Not a good nights sleep”

Courtyard Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Phiily Airport the night before the Philly Marathon to watch my son run. We were awakened at midnight from a call from the "front desk" saying that they had experienced a computer problem and needed our credit card info again. (our room was prepaid months in advance) My husband went down to the lobby to find at least 10 other guests there who had been called. The front desk said the call did not come from them and that they were investigating. Not sure if this is a wide spread scam, this hotel or a marathon sabatoge scheme, but guests beware!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank A B
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

We are aware of this phishing scam and how it’s being carried out at many different hotels. Marriott takes matters of guest privacy very seriously and we have a long standing history of protecting guest information that is entrusted in us. As a matter of policy, and to further protect guest information, no employee at a Marriott hotel will ask a guest to provide their credit card number over the telephone. We remind guests to be vigilant in protecting their personal information. If a guest ever receives a call in their guest room from a person identifying themselves as a hotel employee with a request for personal information, do not provide the information requested. Discontinue the call and contact the front desk immediately to verify the request.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Philadelphia Airport

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a dated Marriott with marginal amenities and services. It's location right at the airport makes it very convenient if you're attending a meeting, but if not, there's really no compelling reason to stay. The service was okay, the business center was a joke, there is no wireless internet available in the rooms. Internet service in the lobby area is not free. The rooms aren't bad, just nothing great. They are dated rooms that have been re-done somewhat.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedack regarding the hotel and your stay. I am sorry that you did not like our business center that offers two computers and printers for our guest. I also apologize that you were not aware that the hotel does offer complimentary wireless in each guest room and lobby area. The hotel is scheduled for a rooms renovation next year.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

After searching for an hour after my flight was cancelled, I finally found a room available here. The rate was high, but I did not want to spend the night in the airport surrounded by strangers.

The property was nice, landscape was clean and represented the area. The accomodations were comfy and worth paying for.

My room was clean, set up very well for the business traveler. I only have a couple complaints about the cleanliness and those are... the dust had been built up on top of the closet. A couple doors and walls around the motel hallways were beat up and needed wiped down/ re painted. The swimming pool looked dirty, a bobby pin in it and one of those nasal strips. I did not swim.

This motel is nice, but I would expext top quality everytime I choose Marriot and I did not see it here. Breakfast at the bistro was very good!

Room Tip: Walls are thin, could hear my neighbors making noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your stay and the hotel. We will look in to the other valuable feedback you offered. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I am grateful to Melody Motely--operations manager courtyard philly airport--for her kind morality in early August. I was on my way to a hiking trip in Spain when, quite unfortunately, my flights were delayed multiple times over a 48 hour period. After being promised and subsequently denied a room at multiple hotels, I found myself several miles away from the airport in a violent thunderstorm with all of my belongings and nowhere to stay until I ran over to the courtyard (the last hotel in the area that I had yet to visit). I was told the only thing they had available was a $270/night suite. Being a college student embarking on a European trip, I did not have that kind of money. Ms. Motely recognized my predicament, and after discovering how I had been treated by the other hotels, she sold me the room for significantly less. Of course this kind of compensation can't always be given (so don't expect it!), but she turned my miserable (due to more personal factors than just being stranded mid-trip) weekend around.

Of course the property was as good as it could have been (clean, comfortable, etc) for the business strategy of the Courtyard by Marriott brand, but Ms. Motely did a great job of recognizing the perfect opportunity to make a mark with a potential repeat guest.

A point about myself: I am a student at one of the best hospitality schools in the world-Cornell Hotel--and have worked at some of the highest-end hotels in the world, so hopefully it is reasonably proven that I be highly perceptive about service and hospitality. Hopefully this background gives my comments legitimacy, as my professional track involves me being an expert in hospitality-business. With that said, I was very impressed with her help and patience in giving me a break (that she didn't need to) and for being patient while trying to get ahold of my father for payment (credit card was needed) for over an hour. Also note that I understand how availability and pricing work, so I could have accurately guessed what their occupancy was and what they needed to sell the room for from a business perspective, so I was also convinced of her gracious motives, given the price she gave me (which, yet again, is not something to expect).

I apologize if these comments seemed a bit disjunct, but I wanted to quickly thank Ms. Melody Motely publicly to give her the recognition that I believe she deserves. With no offense to her property, I perceived that she could manage at more luxury destination property rather than an airport/transient-targeted property.

Thomas E.C. Collum
School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University 2014

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding Melody assisting you during your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that she was able to assist you during this difficult time. She shuffled inventory around to place you in a regular room at the best available rate we were selling. She was able to empathize with you regarding your situation and think of a solution to benefit all. I am happy to hear everything worked out for the best and that you were taken care of. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I had the best stay at this Courtyard. The check in staff was very friendly. Rooms were very comfortable and clean. The entire staff including the maids to the waiters at the bistro went out of their way to thank us for staying at a Marriott property. This is why I search out a Marriott property at every one of my travel destinations.

Room Tip: I typically stay on a top floor but the hotel was completely booked and we had to take a first floor...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike H
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to write positive feedback regarding the staff, hotel and your stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were stuck at the airport due to weather at our destination. We ended up here overnight with no luggage.

The shuttle driver was great, and he passed around cold bottled water which, after 10 hours hanging around a terminal was very needed.

The desk check-in staff were very efficient and even dug up a "survival kit" for us that made me feel human again (all our toiletries were stuck in our checked luggage - still at the airport), and the price was quite good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for taking your personal time to share positive feedback regarding your experience and stay at the hotel. I am pleased that we were able to make a bad situation better. We look forward to a return stay if you are in the area again.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel was a little rundown and it had a strange musty smell. Walking around the hotel I saw a dead cockroach on the floor. Don't think we will be back for another stay. We expected more from a Courtyard.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to share comments regarding the hotel. While we are excited to have a brand new lobby, meeting space and health club that was renovated and opened on 09/22/12 we are anxiously awaiting our rooms renovation scheduled in 2013. I apologize if there was a dead bug in the corridor. We work with a third party vendor for preventative maintenance, however at this time of year with several entrances/exits and the doors opening and closing we do get different types in the building at times.