“Great staff, rooms OK”

Ranked #46 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Rochester NY
“Great staff, rooms OK”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed for three nights for a work related conference. My reservations were made by the company holding the conference, and there was confusion about my arrival and departure dates. Olivia was extremely helpful (and very nice) in trying to resolve this situation, and it was unclear if the original discrepancy was from the company holding the conference or the hotel. Personally, I think there were a serious of miscommunications between the company holding the conference and the sales department at the hotel. The first room we received was not very clean, and I admit, I am someone who strips the bed and looks at the mattress. The mattress in the first room was stained, the comforter on the bed also had a stain near the top. Samantha at the front desk was VERY nice and VERY accommodating as she gave us a second room to try. Unfortunately, the mattress in the second room was stained worse than the first (I can't even imagine what caused that kind of stain), although overall the roomed appeared to be cleaner than the first. By this time, it was 1030pm and we were tired! Again, Samantha was VERY nice and apologized profusely for the problems we were encountering. She offered us free breakfast at the Bistro in the lobby and upgraded us (no cost) to a suite. I was hesitant to check the mattresses, luckily, they were clean! This room was clean (minus one small stain on the carpet) and had a fridge, microwave, and a separate sitting area.
The lobby area is nice, and there are a lot of seating options both at the Bistro and throughout the lobby area. David, at the Bistro, was so friendly and he went out of his way to see that our group was accommodated. This is definitely a business hotel, located very close to the airport, and I don't think they knew that we were going to need to have somewhere to eat lunch because it was not being catered in for our conference. The Bistro is open in the morning for breakfast and then again in the late afternoon/early evening for dinner. Even though they were technically closed for lunch, David was more than happy to stay and make us lunch! He didn't seem "put out" that we had asked for lunch even though the Bistro had closed at 11. The second day of our conference, he came to our meeting room and asked if we would be needing lunch, but we had decided to order in. He offered again on the third day to make lunch, and provided us with order slips so that we could pre-order and our lunch was ready promptly at 11! Personally, I thought the food was pretty good, a bit pricey, but it is a hotel Bistro afterall! The Bistro also serves a variety of beer and wine for those wondering.
The staff at this hotel seem to be genuinely nice people who wanted us to have a good experience, and you can't teach people to be genuinely nice. All the staff I encountered would greet me and ask me how I was but it didn't seem fake or forced, and they were not intrusive. They do not have wi-fi in the rooms yet, but are supposed to have it in working order by the end of this month. I found that once an issue (such as the lunch problem) was brought up, they were quick to respond and help us out and they never made our group feel as though we were the problem. There are two computers in the main lobby for guests to use, as well as two computers from which you can check in for flights and print boarding passes. There is only 1 restaurant (Ruby Tuesday) within walking distance, so if you are looking for more options you will need a car. There is a free shuttle to/from the airport, and the driver was very pleasant! Again, the issues we had were quickly resolved, but you need to make your needs known (without acting like an a&&). I was really impressed with the staff because of the great customer service, which seems to be harder and harder to find.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing the wonderful feedback regarding our staff here at the Philadelphia Airport Courtyard. I am very happy and pleased that you were taken care of during your stay and that the staff was caring and genuine in doing so. I appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding the staff as well as the rooms and ensure you that we utilize it to train and develop our staff. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again if you are in Philadelphia.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I cannot comment on facilities. I did not get to stay here. I had made a reservation for a room, guaranteed with credit card for late arrival. I called ahead earlier on arrival day to confirm that I would be arriving late and that my room would indeed be held for me. I was assured that all was okay. Upon arrival at 11:30 PM was told by desk clerk that, like airlines, they routinely overbook, and that no room was available. They could put me up at their sister property (Fairfield Inn - two hotels down) and would comp my room. Since I was traveling alone and just looking for a place to crash for the night prior to doing business nearby the following day, this was not a big deal for me. It benefited my employer (who now wouldn't have to pay for a room), but no benefit for me. I should have asked for a fruit basket. ;-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience, we truly value and appreciate it. I do apologize for the situation you were faced with, however I am very happy that you were accomadated at a sister property with your charges fully taken care of. If you are in town again, please contact me directly and it would be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I mean what year are we in that the rooms do not have wireless? Especially for a hotel that's meant for business travelers?

In addition, the rooms are terrible. I am in a King Suite, but the heater doesn't even work in the bedroom. Not to mention there is no way to turn off the ventilation in the bathroom so it's really loud all the time.

Oh and lastly, even the food at the cafe sucks here. I always get a healthy start but this place is the worst. Way overcooked and the bread became as hard as a rock within minutes.

And another thing. No other yogurt flavors except vanilla. Really?

I can't believe this dump even received 3 starts. And before you doubt my review, I am a gold member for marriott. I am comparing this to other marriotts and this one by far is the worst.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Trust me on this one. Stay at the embassy suites next door.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Christian K
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
I appreciate you being a loyal Elite Gold Member and thank you for choosing us for your recent stay to Philadelphia. I sincerely apologize for your less than satisfactory experience.

At this time we are currently upgrading our wireless on property. In the next few weeks we will be fully up and running with wireless throughout the entire hotel.

We have addressed the heater in your suite. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. The fan is connected to the light therefore goes on and off in conjunction with the light.

I'm very sorry to hear we did not help you start your day with a delicious option that the Bistro is known for. Thank you for suggesting we provide even more options, I will certainly look in to ensuring we have additional flavors of yogurts.

I thank you for taking the time to provide comments, feedback and suggestions. I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel sometime soon. Thank you.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I had business for three weeks in Malvern PA, so I would leave Malvern on Friday afternoon, turn in my car and catch the shuttle to this Courtyard. Yes, there is a Marriott right at the airport, but this Courtyard is quieter than the airport hotel.

Before I even arrived I received an E-mail from the manager of the hotel and since I had a question about shuttle bus from the airport I asked..not really expecting any response because you seldom get one, and within a couple hours the managers E-mail told me to contact them as soon as I got to the airport and the shuttle would come right over. The second week the front desk staff greeted me by name, even though I had not identified myself when I requested the shuttle, same for the third week. All the staff were friendly, even at 4:00am in the morning when I had to catch the bus to catch my flight.

The Bistro was a nice place to get dinner for the evening, nothing extravagant, but better than going out.

The only two issues I have with the site is no wifi in the rooms, but I carry a cable and had no problems with it, and also in the Bistros booths not all the channels worked on the TVs, but since I was not there to watch TV this didn't bother me.

I have many more weeks like this coming up and my plans already include a Friday night stay at this Courtyard.

Room Tip: Shuttle to the airport are every 30 minutes starting at 0400 Call for shuttle from airport to hotel...
1 Thank TCPDump
Courtyard G M, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are fortunate to have great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience.
The hotel will be receiving wireless internet in the guest rooms in the end of March.
Thank you again for the wonderful feedback!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Typical Courtyard,nice staff and the the new cafe style lobby, which I much prefer to the old breakfast buffet, but come on - no wi-fi? (there is in the lobby but in your room you have plug in a wire! I didn't remember how! too bad, iPaders)

Sorry, Marriott, but there is no excuse in the second decade of the 21st century for this.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on February 21, 2012. We deeply regret the experience you had with not having wireless internet in your guest room. The hotel is scheduled to receive wireless internet in the guest rooms by the end of March.
Please know that we have taken action to ensure this problem is rectified for our customers to have a positive experience.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I've this hotel off of my list when needing a hotel near the airport in Philadelphia.
Though it's generally a decent run of the mill Courtyard, it has 2 things going against it IMO.
There is no wireless Internet in the rooms and as I travel withan iPad, this creates a problem.
This Courtyard also has The Bistro renovation which I dislike as well.
As I talk to Courtyard employees across the brand, they all dislike this new lobby just as much as I and many other do, I really wonder why Marriott continues to push this.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on February 2, 2012. We deeply apologize for the experience you had in regards to not having wireless internet in your guest room. The hotel is scheduled to receive wireless internet in guest rooms the end of March.
Please know that we have taken action to ensure that all of our guest are satisfied.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
CA
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We always stay at this hotel at the airport when travelling to town. Recently my husband was there by himself on his 60th birthday. I called the hotel and asked them if they could wish him happy birthday when he checked in.

They surprised him with a bottle of wine upon check-in.

Room Tip: Let the hotel know what you need....they will help.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business