“HI Philly Stadium - Accomodating”

Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium
Ranked #64 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited this hotel for a conference and the staff went out of their way to meet the needs for the conference. Staff was very friendly. I visited both the breakfast buffet and the bar. Buffet was what was expected (steam coming out of the pans was a hazard to the patrons). Bar was nice, fast and good service. Room was nice, it did not have any towels when I checked in but the staff took care of it upon asking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Stadium12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing us about your recent stay. We appreciate your business and assure you that any shortcoming you have mentioned will be addressed. We look forward to your future stays with us.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

The only reason we stayed at this hotel was to run in a 5K race put on by the Philidelphia Phillies. The race began and ended at Citizens Bank Park and ran past Lincoln Financial Field and the Wells Fargo Center.

If you're attending an event at any of these three venues, this hotel is the perfect perfect perfect location. The only thing between the hotel and this sporting complex is a parking lot.

We arrived pretty late and we checked out soon after the race, so we didn't use any of the hotel's amenities.

The room was clean and comfortable, but a bit worn and outdated. Those minor negatives didn't matter to us ... all we needed was a clean, comfortable, and safe place to sleep and shower. This hotel was just fine for that. Check-in and check-out were quite efficient, and the security guard in the lobby was very friendly as well as helpful.

So if in the future I just need a plain place to sleep and shower when going to a Philadelphia sporting event, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Stadium12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write us about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and relax. We thank you for your business and look forward to your future visits.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

No complaints. Nice spacious rooms. Everything you might need. Very reasonable price and a great value. The staff was also very friendly and attentive, room really clean and well stocked. The location is ok.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your business and also for your time to write us about your experience at the Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium.

We would like to your choice for your future lodging needs. Should you need any assitance in booking for future stays, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Preface: for all Holiday Inn complaints or concerns, the General Manager can be reached directly by dialing the front desk and asking to be connected.

On a recent weekend I booked a room for a Friday and Saturday night at the Philly Stadium Holiday Inn, staying with friends. Our plans changed, however, and Saturday morning I inquired about canceling Saturday night. The front desk attendant was friendly and professional, and she told us that this most likely would *not* be possible. Therefore we did not formally check out, we kept our room keys, and I left my contact information at the front desk, just in case. Much to our surprise, then, was later that evening when we returned to the hotel room (we stayed in Philly during the day because we thought we were still tied to the room), and soon after someone else checked into our room! Surprised and confused, we simply left (we'd never re-unpacked), thinking the hotel had canceled our reservations after all--how else could they have checked someone else into our room?

Imagine my surprise, then, when I found out I was still being billed for both nights. And no, there was no cancellation fee involved. I got an itemized bill from the third-party booking website I'd used, and the invoice was simply for two nights. The last time I checked, a hotel is *not* allowed to charge two separate parties for the same room the same night, so I don't know how this is ethical or even legal.

Sadly, I've had no effective means of redress, despite calling the hotel, the third party website, and Holiday Inn customer service. The third party has twice called the hotel on my behalf and has been fully supportive of my request for a refund, but the hotel has refused--never mind the fact that we did *not* stay at the hotel the second night. They simply hide behind the fact that I prepaid using a third-party website (in other words, they already have the money) and try to fool me with circular logic. Talking with the hotel's General Manager, in particular, has been eye-opening. Within a minute or two of reaching him by phone, and without even getting to explain what had happened, he became verbally abusive. When I disagreed with one of his statements, he actually threatened to call the police if I continued to contact the hotel. Obviously this was an empty threat--that's not how business works, and I did in fact call the hotel again--but it ended any chance I had of a dialogue.

To any skeptic reading this, let me emphasize that my approach with every phone call I've made has been to convey a rational argument and to be courteous to the person I talk to. I will vouch that I've talked to some good people at the Philadelphia Stadium Holiday Inn. The system, however, is broke, and evidently it starts near the top. If you think the GM has a better side to this story, then feel free to call him directly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JoeK507

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your business. I know we spoke over the phone after front desk had already informed you multiple times about your non -refunable reservations. As i had explained in detail over the phone that your reservation was booked via third party site and therefore, the hotel does not charge your credit card and the third party site does. I do understand that you were here for NCAA event and as your team did not progress into the next round you had decided to checkout when you had agreed to stay for 2 nights as your non refundable reservation reflected.

I do understand that you were not happy with the outcome, but we did recommend that you speak with the third party site for any refunds. As you kept calling our front desk members every 5 minutes, i had received complaints from my staff that they felt harrased and i had to inform you that we will not be able to assit you any futher. I had also provided you with the IHG care number who also have supported hotels position and informed you that, you have to contact the third party site for refund if the choose to do so.

I wish you luck in getting your refund from the third party site or you may choose to dispute your credit card charge.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The place is in a great location if you are attending an event in the Sports Complex and is walkable to all venues plus Xfinity Live. I had stayed here years ago and recently chose to return to this property for a recent stay. (I normally choose a downtown hotel and take the subway to events, and still prefer to do so!)

If you do not mind a short walk, you can’t beat the convenience of the location when attending events in the complex. Being able to park for free is also a nice perk. The property is nothing special, and in some cases is below par. The rooms need a major overall, especially the bathrooms. The gift shop does have coffee available for purchase, but unfortunately is not open late when you return to your room after an event. On this visit I also chose not to visit the Sports Bar due to the bad reviews I have heard and also read concerning the food and service.

I find it is usually still cheaper to stay downtown and take the subway in, plus you will have access to many more restaurants and activities. However if logistics require you to be close as it did for me on my last visit, it is the only hotel within walking distance and you must accept that lack of competition for their higher rates and the average (or below) experience you will have here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GTPM
Stadium12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for taking your time to write us about your recent stay with us. I apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced and assure you that the issues you have raised have been addressed. I would appreciate it if you can give us another chance, as we would like to welcome you to our hotel as a valued guest. If there is any thing i can assit you with please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel main number.

Once again i appreciate your feeback.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I booked this 3* airport area hotel through priceline at a bid of $50, and was disappointed to learn that, unlike most airport hotels, the hotel does not offer shuttle service from the airport. You'll need to take a $22 taxi ride to get to the hotel which totally negates any savings you get.

When I spoke to the hotel manager about this, he said that it's not possible for them to provide airport pickups, although they do have a shuttle service to drop their guests off at the airport. He also said that they believe that their lower rates plus the taxi drive make their hotel a "comparable value" to other hotels in the area. I told him that I wasn't interested in "comparable value", I wanted a BETTER value. Also, the nearest other hotel (Hilton) does offer shuttle service from the airport, and so it seems ridiculous that the Holiday Inn can't find a way to offer the same service -- perhaps coordinate with their every half hour scheduled van to the airport?

That being said, I wasn't wowed by the hotel. The room was clean and comfortable enough, but wasn't anything special. I was frustrated that the sink faucet was too small for the sink -- there's no way to wash your hands without touching the sink -- a pet peeve of mine. Also, I'm used to airport hotels that have somewhat late hour access to food. I arrived around midnight, and their bar was closed, so I couldn't get any kind of snack.

All in all, if I had to do it again, I'd avoid bidding on 3* hotels in the PHL airport area, as I wouldn't want to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank chbruce
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear chbruce,

Thank you for your review of your stay Holiday Inn Philadelphia Stadium. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service. I hope you will consider us again when in Philadelphia. Thank you again.

Brenda Johnson
eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Another pleasant stay @ the Stadium Holiday Inn in Philadelphia. As usual, the staff was very friendly and accomodating. Facility was clean and comfortable. Location is great. Easy parking and five minutes from stores (Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowes, IKEA, ect.), ten minutes from the airport, and ten minutes from downtown. Also enjoyed visiting with Tom Bonfiglio, one of the hotel managers. Always nice to see a familiar face when traveling out of town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business