“We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this wonderful hotel”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We booked the hotel through Expedia and although it had been recommended to us we didn't really know what to expect. However, we stayed six nights and experienced nothing but excellent service in all departments from housekeeping to the restaurant. Check in was easy and our room was clean and quiet -although I did discover the night before we left that it was one of the smaller rooms in the hotel. Had I known I would have asked for a bigger one as the hotel was not full. Nevertheless, the room was larger than most hotel rooms, the bed was so-o- comfortable and it was very, very quiet. We slept very well. and peace and quiet.. After attending a convention and/or sightseeing all day we were tired by 5 p.m. and we took the elevator to the wonderul elegant dining/room bar on the 19th floor where there is Happy Hour Monday to Friday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The staff there, especially the restaurant manager, were extremely helpful and friendly and they really seemed to enjoy talking to their guests.
The only warning I should give about this hotel is that the pool is part of a fitness club and is for the serious swimmers. It is definitely not a pool where children can splash and play or where you can relax poolside. However, the hotel does have an excellent business centre with free internet. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank grafton2212

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Needed a room for one night to see DMB in Camden. Booked through priceline for $100. I was really worried after reading the reviews that I was going to be disappointed. But I have to say it was a beautiful building. Everyone we encountered from the locals in the elevator to the front desk staff were super friendly and helpful. The room was decent. Good shower water pressure. Nice flat screen. Super comfy AWESOME bed!!! It is an older hotel but has lots of charm. Could hear some hall noise ie, doors banging or neighbors plumbing and the AC never got super cold but overall we enjoyed this location. It wasn't the most convienent to our concert but the local shopping made up for it. Tiffany's, Kenneth Cole, Diesel, Puma ++++, all within a block or so. FYI, the IHOP a block away is open til 2:30AM : ) and provided us with good service.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2010

In earlier post I complained about the run down state of this hotel and emailed my comments to the Hyatt's customer service site. I received a response to my concerns rather quickly and was offered an upgrade to the best available room during my next stay at any Hyatt. I appreciated that my complaints were taken seriously and hope the Hyatt will address the renovation issues brought up in several of my fellow tripadvisor's reviews. I feel that the response from customer service is a step in the right direction.

2  Thank michiamostrano
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Had read the reviews, but because of the price made the reservation. The staff was excellent, the general condition of the room and hotel was good for an old hotel. Location perfect. The noise at night left us without sleep. Inside the hotel bathroom noise and door noise from other rooms, and the street noise at night.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

This hotel is no longer one of the nicest in Philadelphia. SKIP IT by all means. The suite's furniture was not only old and unattractive but horribly scratched and scraped. The walls had scrape marks, the ceiling had leak stains.

On another note, the wedding we attended at the hotel, although it had good food, had some of the RUDEST servers I've EVER encountered. There were 2 servers who had major attitudes and clearly did not want to be working there or serving us. One practically threw the napkin and menu on my dinner partner's lap and later completely ignored me when I asked for something--he looked directly at me and then just looked away.

No one from the hotel seemed to give a crap when the kitchen staff could be heard all during the wedding ceremony.

At brunch the next morning, when I asked for coffee, a server pointed at my seat and said nothing. I was confused. He pointed again and looked away. I sat down and THEN he poured me coffee. Are you kidding?

BAD BAD BAD. Hyatt either needs to take their name on this property seriously or let it go completely.

If you want the better hotels in town--The Rittenhouse, The Ritz, The Four Seasons...and below that the new Kimpton, the Sofitel, the Westin, even the Omni are all better than this.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ilikehotels77
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times over the past 5 years. This was by far the most disappointing stay. I noticed a big change (not for the better) since my last stay there about 3 years ago.

The hotel location is great. It is in a great old building which used to be impeccably kept. Sadly, the hotel is looking old and tired these days. The service used to be outstanding, however now I would say the service is barely adequate.

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a personal special occasion. I worked with the hotel staff ahead of time to put a few small, special surprises in place. While these did work out in the end, I basically had to set them up myself. In the past, the hotel staff were more than happy and accommodating to help me add these special touches to my stay. Not this time! The concierge staff that I dealt with seemed a bit uninformed and did not seem willing to go out of their way help me with these special requests. They did what they had to and that was about it.

My biggest disappointment centers around the hotel room itself. The air conditioner did not work properly during the entire stay. The room never got cooler than about 75 degrees. We called the front desk about this and they sent up the engineer. He looked at the unit and said there was nothing he could do, that the unit was running at its maximum capacity. Then he looked at me asked if there was air blowing out of the vent? I reminded him that he was the engineer and the vent was about 12 feet off the floor. The engineer suggested a second call to the front desk to see if we could be moved to another room. The second call netted the following suggestions (1) if it gets too hot in the middle of the night, come down to the front desk and we'll give you a discount or something...(2) we could try to find you a fan or something... and (3) we are having events in the ballroom that should be ending soon, your room might get cooler after the events in the hotel are over. There were no empty rooms to move us to.

In addition to the under-performing air conditioner, the level of cleanliness in the room was much less compared to my prior stays. There were stains on the carpet, stains on the furniture, stains on the bedsheets and hair on the bathroom faucet upon our arrival. The attention to detail seems to have been lost at this hotel since my last stay.

Even the public areas of the hotel were looking sub-par. Broken light fixtures, damaged and missing marble were all easily evident in the ballroom lobby.

In general the level of service from the hotel staff was lackluster. In addition to the aforementioned engineer and front desk people on staff at check-in, the front desk personnel at check-out were underwhelming too. During check-out the staff asked me how my stay was, I mentioned the air conditioning issue and the room condition. His response... "here's your receipt and thanks for staying with us". That's all.

Also during check-out, another guest complained to another staff person that the elevator between the lobby and 19th floor was not working properly (door would not close). Another guest agreed that they had the same problem. The staff person said they had called the engineer about it and they said it was working fine. And so that was that. Despite 3 guests complaining about the same thing, the staff basically shrugged it off and acted as though there was nothing else left for him to do.

While none of these complaints were enough to ruin my trip, they were a huge disappointment considering the cost of this hotel. If this was not the Hyatt and if I didn't know from previous experience how great this hotel used to be, I could be more understanding. But my most recent trip to Hyatt at Bellevue illustrated that this hotel is not what it used to be and it is time to try elsewhere else for my next trip to Philly.

Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stayed here on our annual trip to Philly for a hockey game & a little mommy-daddy alone time. I read many of the reviews before we left and as a whole, they paint an accurate picture of this hotel... good & bad.
The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.
That being said, Hyatt needs to seriosly think about a refurbishment for this location. The wallpaper was peeling everywhere, most of the furniture in our room was broken. I tried to pull the drawers out on the nightstand, 1 was completely tipped down as the bottom had fallen out and the the other did not open at all. The doors almost fell off from the tv stand when we opened them and wouldn't shut right after.
I can live with outdated bathrooms and strange room set ups (we had to open the door all the way back to the wall to walk in as the nightstand was right in front of the door), but when the furniture is literally falling apart when you look at it wrong, it's time for someone to invest a little money in the place.
There are so many places to stay in Philly, we will probably chose somewhere else next year.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple