“An excellent choice perfectly located in the center of Philadelphia....”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I won this hotel for one night on Priceline, which allowed me to stay in this fabulous property for a fraction of the posted rates. I was a little wary based on some of the previous posters' reviews, but my doubts were unfounded. I was here with my parents, and they loved the place. Among the pros of the property:

1) Great location.

2) Old historic building was very cool and had a number of shops within the adjoining building, including a Starbucks.

3) The restaurant in the same building (The Palm) had a great Happy Hour/Late Night menu. $1 raw oysters, and many small sample plates such as filet mignon sandwiches and crab cakes for $3.50 that were almost a meal on their own. Two plates would definitely satisy one easily since there were three of each item on a plate.

4) Free business center with two computers on the top floor which was never busy and worked flawlessly.

5) The staff went out of their way to assist with whatever was needed.

6) Rooms were very nicely decorated.

As far as negatives, no major ones to mention. The water pressure could have been a little better in the shower, and the parking charge of $27 was a tad on the high side, but not a total rip-off. It was worth paying a little extra to be right next to the hotel, and not have to deal with all of the piled up snow in Philadelphia from the recent storm.

When you bid Priceline for Center City Philadelphia, you sometimes get the hotels closer to Society Hill, and sometimes get the ones closer to the Convention Center. To me though, the Hyatt at the Bellevue is the most desirable one in terms of location. All in all, Philadelphia is a great city to spend time in, and my favorite of all the major northeastern cities. Enjoy your time here!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank boddicker52
Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed January 8, 2010

As of January 2010 the Park Hyatt Belleview lost the "Park" portion of its brand and is still a Hyatt but part of a new boutique group they have created. Look at all the not so good reviews posted by others and you'll get a true understanding for the hotel.

I have stayed at the Park Hyatt Belleview several times since July 2008 and despite my photos and positive experience at the first stay I have been disappointed in the amenity cuts and overall dirty rooms (stained furniture, carpet, and walls).

Let me say, first of all that the employees and staff at the hotel are great. They exceed expectations, are kind, courteous, and are committed to a high level of customer service and delivery. The location of the hotel is also great for being in Center City Philadelphia. However if you want location then go with the Courtyard Philadelphia or Residence Inn City Center or the Lowes Philadelphia. (Stay away from the Marriott)

The building is old - I believe it is a historical landmark and thus causes some of the issues with the antiquated hotel rooms. The rooms are not designed for business travelers as the desks have no outlets for your chargers and the outlets are very hard to find and are usually behind the tv's so just wanting to charge your cell phone becomes difficult. I have stayed at the hotel probably 7 different occasions over the last 6 months. Every room different and every room with stains on the carpet or on the furniture. Unfortunately I was in a recently renovated room and upon walking in the first thing I noticed was that the room wasn't renovated - only the bathroom shower. There were stains on the couch and chairs and I didn't want to sit on them.

Amenities in the bathroom used to be high end and included additional amenity kits, loufah sponges, etc. You now get the standard Hyatt shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and gel with generic q tips and shower cap.

I want to wrap this review up so in summary the comments from other reviewers is consistent with my experiences. I would recommend for the price you are paying to stay here stay at the Courtyard Philadelphia or Residence Inn City Center or the Lowes Philadelphia (Stay away from the Marriott) and then just visit the restaurant XIX (called nineteen).

If you do choose to stay here do not get your expectations up regarding the hotel rooms but look forward to welcoming employees who are warm and welcoming. Unfortunately the employees does not outweigh the dirty and unaccommodating hotel rooms.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I stayed here for a work event and I am very glad I didn't book clients at this hotel. I was VERY excited to visit the Park Hyatt because I have been at several Park Hyatt's lately (Chicago, Wash DC, etc) and they are always a big step up from the general chain hotels with a great attention to detail and amenities. I was here for a business event I was in charge of and the public areas of the hotel are very nice but the rooms - NOT Park Hyatt level. I was GREATLY disappointed that this would even be considered for the "Park" Hyatt brand.

The rooms were tired and needed an upgrade. However, all was made clear when I saw the letter on my room desk when I arrived (copy uploaded to my photos)....
"We are pleased to announce after much consideration, Park Hyatt Philadelphia at the Bellevue will be renamed Hyatt at the Bellevue , January 1, 2010"

Translation: We know this hotel isn't up to par with the "Park Hyatt" level of hotels so instead of remodeling this tired hotel we are going to save ourselves some $$$$ and just change the name to brand it as a lower class standard Hyatt property. That way we don't have to do anything and the expectations of guests should be a LOT lower.......Sorry we didn't feel like spending the money to give you a better experience.

There are many other hotels in the area that are a LOT less pricy that are a LOT better - newly remodeled. Heck, the courtyard marriott on Juniper st just finished a $75 million dollar renovation. I may try that tomorrow night instead. I'm not paying for this anymore...

I did enjoy the bed in my room here and the banquet staff were great. I feel bad they are being rebranded to a lower class hotel. The room I was in was huge but that didn't make up for the rest of the issues with the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2009

We live just outside Philly - but were going to see a show at the Academy of Music - so we got a babysitter and booked a room at the Belleview - so we'd have a luxury night out. The hotel was disappointing and the quality was low - especially considering the price we paid. It's an old hotel - and it shows. The room was basic (king deluxe room) - and a bit run down (bathroom was definitely in need of renovation). The hotel has stores in it - but nothing available in the evening (we couldn't find anyplace to simply get a soda or snacks for the room). The breakfast in the morning at Nineteen was also lacking - understaffed for a Sunday morning (10am) - and they messed up our order (and with so few people working - it wasn't worth getting them to fix the order). Overall - I'd only recommend it if you have a very good price and some kind of event at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for an anniversary celebration over a weekend. The hotel is trying very hard to be a 4+star establishment, but the staff doesn't appear to be trained-up enough yet for that. The hotel was busy this weekend, with 3 weddings plus the usual tourist guests, and the staff seemed to be off-balance most of the time - reacting rather than anticipating.
The rooms were nicely equipped, with a few 4 star touches. But they also had too many "2-3 star" touches. The room was very clean and had personality (since this is a historic building). Great bathroom, excellent linens, 3 phones, large closet, individual thermostat/fan control. But, small CRT TV, too much hallway noise coming through the door, & some noise through walls.
I made a few requests to staff that didn't have follow-through or enough follow-through, but they had a good attitude and just need more experience and more/better training.
The hotel is in a very safe and convenient location of downtown (Center City) Philadelphia. You can walk less than a mile to almost anything you would need to get to, or take a $6-7 cab ride. Some of the best shopping and restaurants are within a 6 block radius.
Overall, this hotel has a lot of potential, but it's showing some transition "pains" as it "becomes" a Park Hyatt. It's in a historic building with character and grandeur, that could easily become a strong 4 star hotel with a tightening of quality. It has more character and luxury than the Doubletree across the street, but too many missteps to compete with the Ritz Carlton down the street.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I've stayed at other Park Hyatt and this one doesn't live up to a Park Hyatt. I've tried a few times (thinking it will get better) but every time I come back I'm disappointed. The other reviews capture the reason why it doesn't...run down, spotty service, stuck in the past (although to be far, the new restaurant looks beautiful)...the Hyatt chain really should invest in updating this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Even though we got a great deal on 2 rooms, I would have gladly paid more if I had known neither room had windows. They both faced the inner atrium and had no natural light. My daughters was also right by the elevator. Walls are thin, and you hear people in the hallway. I had asked for a king size bed, but I'm sure the bed was not a king. No coffee makers in the room, small TV. Room was very clean, but dated. Also there is no illuminated clock in the room, which REALLY bothered me. No natural light, no clock. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple