“What a wonderful surprise!!!”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
new jersey
“What a wonderful surprise!!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We just stayed overnight at the Park Hyatt to celebrate our 20th anniversary.. What a great find! We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Four Season and the Rittehhouse Hotel before. The Park Hyatt is right up there at the top! We were upgraded to a suite and the room was beautiful and spacious. The staff of the hotel couldn't have been nicer, they were so welcoming and pleasant. Mano the valet is a gem!!! Also, the restaurant XIX is the best in Philly. We will defintely be returning!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 13, 2009

This is not a park hyatt as I know them but another hotel recently added to the brand, the management team are keen to please but inexperienced, half the rooms look internally into the dreaded atrium and so are dark and noisy when the atrium is in use for an event, rooms need to be upgraded but are on the larger side (a plus), service is poor - rooms not serviced by 4pm etc, There are better options in Philly.....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2009

The staff at this hotel is great. Staying here gives you access to the gym at the Sporting Club (which is great). It's all downhill from there...

This hotel is in major need of investment in the rooms.

I had a problem with my room when I got there. The doorjam was broken - it appeared that it had been kicked in and maintenance insisted on moving me instead of fixing it that evening (I had just unpacked when I noticed it). The first room they tried to give me was much, much smaller and darker. Now, I'm a Hyatt Platinum member, and was told that there were no upgrades available when I checked in. Apparently, 30 minutes later when I had a problem, all of a sudden a suite opened up.

Now, I've stayed in this hotel once a year for the past 5-6 years and aside from the lobby, nothing has changed for the better. This is a very old building and it needs a lot of TLC.

Here's a list of everything wrong with the room:
*peeling wallpaper in the bathroom that also has holes from where things used to hang.
*old crusty mirror in bathroom
*plugged holes in the ugly green tile in tub.
*the makeup mirror is mounted in the corner above the toilet - good thing my wife wasn't with me.
*the shower head really needs to be descaled - it's really dirty.
*I had to request a new iron and ironing board. The iron was so old and dirty that black stuff came out onto my shirt. the ironing board pad was so old and creased that it put creases in clothes ironed above it.
*There were two 24" TV's in the room. I can go to a Hyatt Place for $99/night and get a room with a 42" flat panel TV, yet this Park Hyatt hasn't upgraded yet?
*The couch in the room looked like it belonged in my fraternity house in college. Classic or just old? You decide.
*I hope you don't want to work at the desk - as far from ergonomic as you could get. As a matter of fact, unless you're a very little child, don't expect to be able to sit in the chair and slide in under the desk.
*There is a serious shortage of outlets in the room. Haven't they ever heard of a power strip?

Now the staff is great, and the Hyatt Bed is the best on the market, but there's no way that this hotel competes with Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons (both of which have a nice offering in Philly). I'm a huge Hyatt fan, but this one is all history and future, not present.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Lancaster, California
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Stayed in room 1207 for 8 nights in town for event at Kimmel Center which is a very easy walk away. Room was lovely , spacious with large sitting area, had couch and 2 chairs, coffee table, and dining type table also with chairs. Room was quiet . Restaurant for lunch was very nice great service and food. Nice to have the shops and food court below the hotel.
Internet $5.95 a day via T mobile also worked in the Starbucks etc, cheaper than I have payed in many hotels.
Would definitly stay again, even my teenagers loved it

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
fort smith, arkansas
Reviewed April 14, 2009

In Philadelphia for an event at the Kimmel Center....location of the hotel was perfect for this.

Thanks to airline delays we did not arrive until 1am. Arriving this late there was no one downstairs to point us in the direction of registration. We walked into an empty ground floor lobby with no directions that Registration was on the 19th floor. Once we figured this out and made our way up we were met by an efficient staff member who quickly got us in our room and off to bed.

Room service ( continental breakfast ) the following morning arrived right on time and was satisfactory.

We lunched one day during our stay at the 19th floor cafe. The food was outstanding. However, like most of the rest of the hotel we experienced, the decor and furnishings were worn and tattered.

Our room ( #1204) was very worn. The bedding was nice but thats about where it ends. The headboards were mismatched..yes, not the same! The finish on the desk and chair were extremely chipped and beat up. the small occasional chair was in dire need of reupholstery. The bathroom had mildew and torn wallpaper. There were TWO accessible plugs in in the room (on the base of the desk lamp and another on the wall by the occasional chair). The plug-in in the bath was in the strangest place....up high in the middle of the wall above the commode. Bathroom amenities were minimal. It took me a day or two to realize the hair dryer was in the closet by the door to the room....go figure!

Basically, it all needed an update.

I have posted a few photos of some of this damage.

Yes, there is historical significance. And there is a certain charm to all that. But I prefer clean and fresh.

Internet was for a fee thru T-Mobile

And to top it off, in need of some extra cash, the front desk would NOT cash a 100.00 check. I have never been to what is considered at least a 4 star hotel that would not cash a check for a guest.

Perhaps there are rooms in this hotel that are in better repair and have better furnishings. But based on my experience, this is not the case. My room was not impressive and was a huge disappointment in comparison to the reviews I based my stay on. I will not stay here again and was truly wishing I had not stayed there this time.

• Stayed April 2009
Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I booked this hotel then read reviews that weren't as positive as I'd hoped. When I arrived I was delighted to find they were wrong. The service from the staff was outstanding - helped with absolutely everything we needed. The room was stylish and elegant - wonderful touches including a drawer of wine and champagne glasses and a loufa in the bath. The architecture of the building was outstanding and reminded me of a more elegant era. This hotel is ideally situated on the Avenue of the Arts between the Kimmel centre and City Hall. The restaurant XIX served fabulous food at mid range prices. I'd stay there again when in Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Worldsmum
pa
Reviewed March 26, 2009

My husband and I usually stay at the Ritz, but in the last year it has changed too much so I decided to try the Park Hyatt. What a surprise. Easy side street entrance, under cover, to go from your car to the hotel. Once you leave the lobby you take an elevator to the 19th floor which is totally seperate from the general public. Nice touch.

In the hotel building there is outstanding gym. A food court, Steak house (PALM'S) and great shopping. In the hotel itself the lounge, restaurant and breakfast area are all enjoyable, reasonably priced with good food.

The room we were in was facing the conservatory. We will ask for the same room again. My husband never slept so well in thirty years of marraige. Very roomy and spotless. No complaints whatsoever.

Since we go to Phila. about every six weeks this is our new home in Phila.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple