“Gym might make it worth a stay”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I agree with a lot of the reviews here. The hotel is old, and it shows. You can tell that at one point, it represented the height of luxury, but the high-quality furnishings are now visibly worn and faded. Like many Philadelphia hotel rooms that I've seen (except for the Rittenhouse Hotel, which has my favorite rooms), the standard rooms are rather small, with extremely small bathrooms. The worst issue is the elevators -- incredibly creaky and slow. When I stayed during the weekend, there were a couple of weddings going on at the hotel, and during those events, the wait for the elevator could sometimes take up to 10 minutes. That is just ridiculously long. It made me late for a dinner.

Nevertheless, the thing that made the stay worthwhile was the free access to the outstanding gym, the Sporting Club at the Bellevue. This is a huge athletic club with a pool, basketball court, running track, and large fitness area, all connected by a 4th-floor breezeway to the hotel. This is by far the best gym access for a hotel I've ever had (even including the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis, which also has an amazing gym). Because of this, I was willing to forgive a lot of the other issues with the hotel.

The breakfast in the "XIX" cafe in the morning was decent, if unspectacular. The staff seemed generally friendly and helpful. The one odd thing about the hotel setup is that because the reception and concierge are on the 19th floor, and in a side room off the main atrium, I pretty much never saw them after I checked in. It made for a rather impersonal experience, which I thought the Park Hyatt brand (smaller, more intimate hotels) was designed to avoid.

Oh, one last point for Hyatt Diamond members: as a Diamond member, I automatically received a bottle of red wine in the room as a welcome amenity. This wine, however, was some of the worst free wine I've ever had (and that's saying something); it was pretty much undrinkable. So don't go expecting you'll get a nice bottle of wine once you get there.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Monterone
There are newer reviews for Hyatt at The Bellevue

Reviewed July 27, 2008

Yes, the rooms are a bit tired here, but it's easy to overlook when there is so much history and attention to detail in the ceilings, woodwork, marble, etc. Mattresses are pillowtop, but we still felt they were a bit too firm and old. We would have also liked having an alarm clock in the room that could be seen in the dark, along with a coffee pot in the room.
The staff here is great - each request was met with the upmost in care. Check-in desk was a bit odd on the top floor, almost in a side room - perhaps they are renovating and this is only a temporary situation.
The location is fantastic - we would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I've stayed at a number of Park Hyatt properties world wide. Never have I ever encountered one with such a crumbling and decrepit physical plant as this one. Although an old, "grand hotel" (it used to be The Bellvue), this property is so tired and run-down, I was actually embarrased to stay here. From the layers of cracked and peeling paint covering anything made out of wood, to the shabby elevators and nearly threadbare carpets and torn wallpaper in the rooms, the physical plant of this property was just plain awful. The staff were personable and very apologetic, and were very gracious, but one knew they hear these types of disparaging comments every day. If ever there was a Hyatt property in need of a renovation (or a re-"badging") this one is it!! Actually, to avoid confusion, they should rename it something like "The Bellvue: A Hyatt Hotel" or something similar...that way, unsuspecting guests won't have their expectations dashed by this dowager. Charming old world , grand hotel? Yeah...No!

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank fatetta
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I have stayed at several Hyatt's an travel for business about 6 times a year. I have stayed at the Park Hyatt Chicago, which is one of the nicest business hotels I have stayed at, so I thought this would be similar (after all Park Hyatt is the top line of the chain). I was disappointed. The hotel is very old and the rooms have not been rennovated. The carpet has threadbare spots, peeling wallpapaer, a cabinet door falling off, a lot of door dings and pain nicks's and a tub/shower combo with holes in the tile and a cracking tub basin -- and this was in one of their Park Suites (which I was upgraded too when their was broken glass on the bathroom floor -- and a fair amount of hairs -- of the first room I checked into). The good things were the attnetiveness of the staff, great location, and the interior rooms are quiet (but no view and very dark).

I had a AAA rate of $274 a night. Next time I will try a different, more modern (newer or remodelled) hotel, for the same or similar price. This was a disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I called the hotel to book the "park Suite" for a getaway for my wife and I over the July 4th Holiday. When I arrived at the property I was informed that there were no rooms available although they had my reservation on the screen in front of them. I asked to be booked at the other Hyatt hotel in town or another property to which they replied that it would be up to me to make those reservations. I asked if there were any other rooms available to which the manager replied that there were not and that i should leave as "you cant sleep on our lobby sofa" the service here is a joke. I stayed at the Ritz for the weekend afterward and called the Hyatt gold passport desk (I am a diamond rewards member) I was given two free knights at Hyatt and some bonus points as they were mortified. Buyer Beware.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Conley7393
Reviewed June 16, 2008

This hotel is over the top with style, charm, and grace. We went for my cousin's wedding and from getting an early check in at 9:30 am on arrival day to getting a late check out, our stay was wonderful. The rooms have style and charm of an old world feel. I loved the beds and pillows, slept very comfortably each night of my three night stay. Breakfast on the first day we had it at the XIX and it was great. A bit slow on service but very filly. We then ventured out and explored the area around the hotel. Upon coming back we headed to our rooms and took a nap, we did a red eye flight from California, so we were tired. We napped and relaxed. The whole time of our stay the staff was friendly, kind, warm and wonderful. My dad got sick on the trip, when my mom phoned down to the front desk, and asked about a doctor, she was called back within 15 minutes. The Shops at the Bellevue off places to eat a great bagle place and Starbucks is there as well.

My cousin's wedding was over the top, she got married in a very formal but small room. Upon the ceremony being finished we went up to the ballroom bar, and were treated to the most amazing cocktail hour. When we went down stairs we were met with the most amazing wedding reception. My cousin made a beautiful bride, and her husband my new cousin made a handsome groom. The food and music were wonderfully great.

The rehearshal dinner was at Upstares on Broad Street, and it was amazing. We had the filet and it was cooked to prefection. We ate dinner on Thursday at Ralph's very much a hike to get to it, if you walked but well worth it. Very old world Italian. Very good food. I recommend the chicken sorento with the veggie side dish. While you may hear a ton about Pat and Geno's for cheesesteaks, believe me if you miss it or them, it is ok.

We walked most of the time, however I would recommend getting day bus passes because you can use them all day. And I would use the subway system as well. A must on a walking tour is seeing Society Hill at night and seeing Indep. Hall and the Liberty Bell as well at night.

Philadelphia and the hotel were amazing. And I would stay at the Park Hyatt again. I give this place the best of reviews. Oh one thing is they have separate service elevators so watch the ones you get on.

Perfect hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Mscapeccia
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We stayed at the Bellevue for a wedding....plus it was our 40th anniversary.

Our experience was very good....all of the wedding events were handled well and the food was very good.

The staff at reception were very helpful...we needed to buy a tux shirt and they guided us to where we needed to purchase one.

My only problem and the reason that I did not give an excellent rating was our Saturday morning breakfast. We ordered toast with our meal and it did not come until the meal was finished and the toast was cold. We had to remind the staff about our order. They also did not refill our coffee cups until we asked but that is my only "complaint."

The location is also very good...we were there for a short time so we didn't have a chance to explore the area.

The room was very nice....bathroom on the smaller side but not an issue with us..

We had a nice stay and would return.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple