“attentive staff, very comfortable, great location”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Chicago, Illinois
“attentive staff, very comfortable, great location”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This hotel is amazing. Gorgeous, old, well maintained and authentic building. Anyone complaining about "old" just doesn't appreciate the historical value of the hotel and how it's meant to hold that feel to it.

The hotel staff is incredibly helpful and accommodating. Like, seriously super super nice and pleasant people. It was genuine too, not fake or forced. I literally got greetings from housekeepers to maintenance men... it was nice and quite impressive really. The beds were super comfortable and everything was clean. The restaurant on the 19th floor had delicious drinks and food and our room service food was also great.

Honestly, I'd have to say this is one of my best hotel experiences ever!

Two MINOR cons:
1) the elevator. Super slow. and then because it was slow, it would get really full. But in the grand scheme of things, really no big deal.
2) the location is amazing... but if you're a light sleep the amazing location can also hinder sleep. It's a bit noisy outside of the window but they do supply ear plugs if that gets to be an issue.

Still, I highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Megan T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We were treated like royalty. I will go back again & again. This is our third time here and they are consistent with the excellent service. We did try the restaurant which has great views but overpriced adequate food. The prices range from $150 to $250 but it felt like we paid $400.

Stayed March 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed 3 days and had an excellent stay. Hotel is old but clean. Elevators a little slow. Everything else was great. Breakfast at the café on the 19th floor was excellent. It was included with room, would be expensive otherwise. Great happy hr wkdays on 19th floor bar. The gym next door is huge and is free to use for hotel guests. Connected to hotel by a 4th floor walkway. All classes were free for guests as well.
Will stay here next time in Philly.

NYC
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I think there are newer parts of the hotel but we stayed in the older part. It was very confusing and took us awhile to find the room, the offered to send someone up with is at check in but I didn't realize it would be like that.
The house cleaning staff was great though! I was trying to find my way to the fitness area and they were all smiles helping everyone that walked by. I wish I would of gotten her name but she was working on the 16th floor the morning of 3-19 just in case a manager can look her up. She was the best part of the stay.
If they remodeled I'm sure it would be a nice enough hotel but I expect more from the Hyatt that this.

Stayed March 2014
Newton, Mass
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Yeah, this was Ground Zero for Legionnaire's Disease but I've now gotten out of there twice in a row without so much as a runny nose.

This hotel offers the best value in Philadelphia. It's priced at 3.5-star levels but I feel that it is a 4.5-star hotel. It's elegant and comfortable, and the service is outstanding. For instance, they generally only have the A/C on in the warmer months, but since you can't open the windows I asked in advance if they had A/C and they offered to have it turned on for me in advance...and they even remembered without being reminded. (Thank you, Steve.)

Three asterisks:

One asterisk is that like most old hotels the bathroom is at the back of the room, so there is only a door between the bedroom and the vestibule. That may make you uncomfortable, though the vestibules and the hotel in general are quiet.

The second asterisk is, as mentioned below, it is VERY important not to overlook South Broad Street. It's Philly's major north-south avenue and sounds that way.

The final asterisk is that Hyatt breakfasts are not the best. I like the Marriott breakfasts better in general and go there to eat.

Room Tip: Unless you are seriously hearing-impaired, do NOT overlook South Broad Street.
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed here attending a conference in the hotel. The staff were pleasant and helpful, and the room clean. Although I didn't use much in the way of hotel amenities (apart from meeting services which were great).

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I had planned to stay here last fall, then I had to cancel. There were some issues with my cancellation, and the reservation staff here handled it with a high degree of customer service. So there was no doubt in my mind that I would stay here on a return trip to Philadelphia... and I'm glad that I did.

First of all, the location really can't be beat. Center City's best shopping and dining are literally steps away. Philadelphia is such a wonderful city with so much to offer, and it's all quite accessible from here. We checked in a bit early -- the front desk was very efficient -- and even though I tend to prefer sleek and modern hotels, I found the Hyatt at the Bellevue to be charming. OK, maybe it's a tiny bit on the older side (the rooms, at least), but the bed was comfortable and it had everything we needed.

Besides the location, here are some of the other things I loved: late checkout (2 pm the next day) for being a Hyatt Gold Passport member (free Internet service for being a member, too.) Free admission to the terrific Sporting Club at the Bellevue, adjacent to the hotel via a skybridge. And the XIX restaurant on the top floor was a lovely place to end the evening. Head up there even just to see it... it's beautiful.

We had a great experience here, and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple