“It's the little things that matter and when they're missing ... It's not good”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #31 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

At first during our three-night stay, my partner and I found the location of this hotel and its old-world charm to be quite satisfactory, although for me the decor was somewhat worn and weirdly Rococo in style and color. The bed was clean and comfortable with good-quality linens, and the room was spacious so we were both fairly happy.

But by day two and three, a few failures started to occur that began to sour our experience. One had to do with the age of the bathroom fixtures: For example, the bathtub had been reglazed and layers of the reglazing material started to chip off noticeably on me when I tried to use the tub.

The second was made worse by the responses of staff: I complained about the fact that my morning shower was very cold and that it became progressively colder as I tried to take my shower. No hot water ever appeared that morning. But the engineer they sent up told me that I should've gotten up 30 minutes earlier to "let the cold water run through the pipes." No apologies were offered; instead I was told that I could've solved the issue on my own. (Believe me, when you're trying to get ready for business meetings in the morning, I don't know about you, but I don't expect that I will have to get up 30 minutes earlier just to let the water run through the pipes before getting heat for my shower.)

Then, that same night, my partner and I both tried our keys in our room's door and they suddenly didn't work. Now that type of thing happens occasionally in a hotel and I wouldn't even mention it in a review, except for the fact that the service person insisted on trying our door keys again before handing us the replacements. From our standpoint, that gesture was unnecessarily annoying after we had sat there waiting to get into our room after a tiring day. Had we suddenly lost the ability to use our keys to get into the room? Why not just take our word for it that our keys were not working? (FYI - our keys really didn't work when he tried them again.)

All in all, the hotel was fairly comfortable, presentable, and well situated, but if one fails at providing a basic feature such as a nice hot shower or bath for your guests, and then if those same guests don't hear even one apology for the discomfort and inconvenience of having to take an ice-old shower to start off one's day, I would say that the rating cannot be even an average one, but must be set lower as a result. If I visit Philadelphia again, I would stay elsewhere as a result.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CardCarrier
Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Such a beautiful Old World hotel located on Philadelphia's Avenue of the Arts. What a transcendent feeling to stay at this beautiful hotel. Everything about the stay was top shelf: staff, room size, bedding, amenities. If in Philly, make a point to stay here.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on 1/19/14. The check-in was smooth and we were given a nicely renovated room. I loved the old world charm of the hotel. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast we ordered was pretty good (I had the onion and portobello mushroom omelet and my boyfriend had the lobster omelet). Overall, I would recommend this hotel to someone else.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Nothing at all bad to be said. From the manager (Steve) and to the rest of the staff, everything was tops. Took better 1/2 here for a mix of same month b-day and anniversary. Given a top upgrade from the manager. XIX Restaurant had a nice buffet spread for breakfast. Nothing but restaurants and "whatever you want to do" is close in your hand. Considering how cold it was (4), everything played out well.

Room Tip: Choose a not too busy time to reserve (if possible) or plan well ahead for your best chance at getti...
1  Thank RastaMan7
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed three days during the early January. Was upgraded to a renovated room on the 16th floor with nice views of the Broad Street. The hotel has nice old-time charm, but apparently some of the rooms are in need of renovation. Comfortable bed, largish room. Breakfast was OK, and the views from 19th floor restaurant excellent.

What really set this visit apart was the excellent attitude and service of the staff. Proactive and friendly.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views, but rooms facing the street can also have more nice.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We reserved here due to a wedding that we were attending at the hotel. Our room was very spacious and well appointed. The service from the time we arrived until the the time we left was excellent. We were also given free breakfast for our entire stay I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My stay would have been ok. But my video camera case was stolen from the the 19th floor weeding facility. With little help from staff to find it oh well.guess iwill have to watch my stuff better.food in hall was good so was Sunday brunch

• Stayed: December 2013