“Ambiance and service with a great location.”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Atlanta, Georgia
“Ambiance and service with a great location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

When checking into this hotel, I felt like I was stepping back into history. This historic building captures the era of the 1940's with all the amenities of the current day. The rooms are large and the beds sleep absolutely wonderful. Bathrooms are great and it was quiet and peaceful. The staff and the guest are very pleasant and engaging. I was traveling alone yet I never lacked for conversation or people being polite and just simply pleasant to be with. This was one stay that when it was my time to move on, I really wanted to stay.
Visitors should check out the atrium on the 12th floor which is open to all guest and also should check out the top floor restaurants. Parking is easy and the location is just a few blocks from City Hall and shopping. The entire City is walkable and very friendly to be in. This was my first trip to Philadelphia and I really cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
The OC, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Coming from Los Angeles, I have to say that I'm not used to older properties. If anything gets old in LA, they tear it down. I was quite please with the Hyatt at the Bellevue in all aspects. The hotel location is superb. If you need to get anywhere, the hotel is right next to a SEPTA subway stop. We used this to our advantage, as our business took us to the sports complex, a short 10 minute ride by subway.

The staff was gracious and accommodating. We arrived around midnight after many flight delays, and the person at the desk was very helpful in giving us a few ideas for places to eat late at night. The room I shared with a coworker was quite large for us, and the beds were extremely comfortable. OK, we were working 12 hour shifts at times, but the beds really helped.

The restaurant at the top of the hotel was very nice, as was the breakfast buffet. It was equally as pricey, but I started off the day with a big breakfast of eggs, sausage, croissants, fresh juice, and more.

I was also able to do some sightseeing, and the hotel's location made it very easy to see the sights: "Rocky" steps (Philadelphia Museum of Art), Liberty Bell, and South Street (see my review on Jim's Steaks). All of these were a brisk walk or a short taxi ride away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
South Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Arrived a little late due to on goin construction. Had no idea where parking entrance was so that was another delay.
My wife is handicapped so after coming out of parking garage there were 20+ steps to the door! I did see a wheelchair elevator to the right and we took that instead.
Never received our gift bag at time of check-in as we were part of a large wedding.
Rooms were expensive even with wedding discount AND they still charged $28. for parking on top of that. I guess it's what you pay in a large city.

Room Tip: price the other hotels in area...lots to choose from.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bigred08046
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We only stayed on night at the Hyatt but could have stayed a lot longer!!

Built in 1904 the hotel exudes that quality that you get from "older" hotels. The reception staff were superb. We arrived early, our luggage was stored in an instant and we were checked in and the concierge was giving us details of where we should go a few moments later. This was not pushy service, but just very professional staff being friendly.

After some sight seeing we returned to the hotel and visited XIX, the restaurant on the 19th floor for brunch. It was a fixed price meal with a fantastic eat as much as you want buffet together with an al la carte selection. Service was excellent and the food, prepared to order was fabulous.

The rooms were HUGE, very clean and well appointed. Lavish is the word I'd use.

The hotel is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the station and very convienient for downtown and a 30 minute walk from the Liberty Bell and other attractions.

Room Tip: As this hotel is on a main road try to get rooms on floors 5 and above.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jenx2468
Ocean Isle Beach, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I'll try to make this one brief & to the point. Great experience was due to the location & staff. The location desirability is obvious. I rarely comment on staff, since the likelihood of you encountering the same person is remote - with different shifts and hotel staff turnover is particularly high. In this case they were ALL unusually accommodating, with each staff member falling over themselves to be helpful over a 3 day time period. If they were out to exceed expectations, they certainly did. And I generally frequent better hotels.
The hotel itself is very old (last time I stayed there was 30 yrs. ago. - and it was very old then). So, there are some wrought iron works and woodwork (ceilings are spectacular) that is to be appreciated. I can't say it's been maintained in the best way, but it's reasonably acceptable for a 4-star hotel. ...just don't get expectations too high. I suspect they still have some pretty spectacular suites. I had a 2 queen room. My room was one of those recently refurbished, which they called a 'grade A' room, or something to that effect. Bath was done nicely, modernized, and large. Room was quite large with roughly 12 ft. ceilings - nice. My room was on Broad St. on the 14th floor, and the traffic noise was horrible all night, so ask for a quieter location. Furnishings were so-so. The easy chair was ridiculously uncomfortable & of poor design, and I suspect wasn't cheap. The beds were the worst thing about our stay. Whoever purchased these should be shown the door. They look plush & the bedding is indeed excellent, but the mattresses are horrible. You hear 'crunch' when you sit on the beds. I've never encountered such a noisey mattress. They are hard, with very little give & made my side sore from sleeping on them. Rooms are rather stark & sparsely furnished. The hotel entrance is now on a side alley, which is a very odd situation. The hotel screams to be a 4-5 star property, but that would require a major re-investment. Without mega dollars in refurbishments, they may well be doing the best possible with the aged hotel.
I'll be frank, on this trip I selected this hotel for the price, knowing the old reputation (I mean how far down hill could it have gone?), and for $152 a night it was a fair market value. Many other hotels of similar stature in Phila. run in the $250 range, but are probably in better shape. Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank cruisedoc1
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Bellevue is one of the Grand Hotels that still exist in this country. Large hardwood moldings and grand lobbies and ballrooms. The rooms in these hotels are generally not cookie cutter, they all have unique shapes and sizes. My room was very large but included an odd stair case on one side that led to an adjoining room. Not a burden just odd. Also it had a small window that overlooked a courtyard so the natural light was limited. That being said on the downside; on the upside the hotel is perfectly located downtown, has a great pair of restaurants, and a very nice bar on the 19th floor with great views. The staff falls over themselves to look after you. They were friendly, well trained, Knew the neighborhood and seemed to just appear when ever you had a question about something. Had a great stay and would definitely recommend the hotel

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the hallways will have a better view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel, combining business and pleasure and this was the perfect place to do that. The hotel I situated very conveniently in the center if Philadelphia and in the building complex are wonderful stores and eateries.
The accommodations were perfect, particularly as they upgraded us to a beautifully equipped suite with all the amenities.
However, best of all was the accommodating staff. They we'd thoughtful, very helpful and always with a smile.
Loved it!