“Charming hotel, great bed for a good night's rest”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #30 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here last weekend after visiting a friend in West Chester, PA. Location was superb, but it turns out everything in philly on Saturday closes early! We ended up going to Monk's cafe for drinks and belgium food which was awesome because it was so close to the hotel. After several drinks we were able to stumble a few blocks back to the hotel.

Only advice for the hotel is that the staff needs to be more informed. We were told the pool closes at 11pm and that would be awkward for us to be in our bathing suit wandering to a closed pool.

Room was decent size, bathroom was an odd design, but spacious. The only downside was that the pool closed early (7pm) so we were not able to enjoy it. Other than that, I had a great night sleep (love Hyatt's bed). We were also on the upper floors so it was nice and quiet. Overall had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Classic old hotel in excellent location. Comfortable beds. Short ride to all major attractions. Food destinations abundent in area. Need to step up concierge, conflicting information given. Before you leave Philly find a Federal Donut, if you like donuts you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt at the Bellevue from May 31 - June 2, 2013. It had been a few years since I stayed at the hotel and I found it is in need of a facelift. (This used to be my favorite hotel in Philadelphia and I have stayed here approximately 4 times.) The last time I was there, they had just renovated the restaurant XIX and it was a beautiful space. Upon my return, the restaurant looked run down compared to what it had been. The rooms are also a little run down. It is a shame because I really love the location but I will not return unless there is a major renovation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Topaz1118
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. I am glad to hear that our location met your needs. I also appreciate you feedback regarding our XIX Lounge. I am sorry to hear that the lack and location of electrical outlets caused an inconvenience for you. We wanted to inform you that we will be undergoing a full renovation towards the end of this year. This will include our guest rooms, corridors, elevators and hotel lobby. The furniture that will be chosen will offer our guests more accessibility to outlets and will be more user friendly.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and hope that if your travels ever bring you back to Philadelphia you will consider visiting us.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

In it's day this probably was a beautiful hotel (and could be again if it was renovated). Positives: It has large rooms. The architecture is interesting. A good location if you want to be near City Hall, Broad Street businesses, or the downtown historic attractions. The 19th floor bar is attractive. Negatives: There were no free power outlets in my room except on a wall far from the chair, desk, or bed. That's right - no power at the work desk. I had to pull a heavy chair all the way across the room to use my laptop when plugged in to recharge. Even the bathroom outlets were weird - instead of being next to the sink (for a razor or hairdryer), it was on the wall 3 feet directly above the toilet, and probably 6 feet above the floor. The layout is confusing - not all elevators go to every floor, and they are hidden away, not where you would expect them. The reviews commenting on the dirty carpets and rundown elevators are not completely right but not wrong - I found the carpet in my room and the hotel halls to be completely clean but old, tired, and out of date. This is a Hyatt in name only.

3  Thank GateE10
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Hyatt at the Bellevue is in a great location in downtown Philly. This is a property rich in historical elegance. Because of the age of the hotel, it is quirky and charming. Case in point, there are 3 elevator banks, but they don't all go to the same floors. That took some figuring out. It's a hotel with personality, and lots of details worth noticing. The ballroom is breathtaking, and has hosted events with scores of US Presidents. Ask a staff member if they'll show you the control board for the lighting system. Fascinating.

My guest room was small but had everything I needed, including a great view of the city. The room, and the hotel, showed its age, but it's a reason to stay here if you appreciate history.

Hotel staff are friendly and go the extra mile to help out.

Don't miss the serenity of the 12th floor conservatory.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the history of our building. The Hyatt at The Bellevue was built in 1904 and we are very proud our history. While we will maintain the integrity of our history, we will be undergoing a renovation towards the end of the year in an effort to improve our product.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and hope you will visit us again soon.

P.S. Did you know that Thomas Edison designed the lighting panel in the ballrom?

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent 5 nights here and really loved the feel of the old world charm of the building. That charm though does extend to fairly slow lifts and some what tired structure suchas wall coverings and doors. The electronic card reader on my door failed 4 separate times but was "repaired" very promptly by willing and friendly house staff. Front desk staff very helpful and friendly. Good location with shops and servicable food court down stairs. Excellent gym next door which you get free access to

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We are so glad you enjoyed the history of our building and that our service met your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the multiple issues you experienced with your keys, I am glad the staff was attentive, however, 4 times is certainly excessive.

I wanted to inform you that we will be addressing your concerns regarding the wall coverings and doors in our upcoming renovation which is scheduled to begin at the end of this year.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that you will come visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a beautiful old-world hotel in the center of Philadelphia, in close proximity to City Hall, Rittenhouse Square and the restaurants and shopping on Walnut Street. Rooms are spacious and clean and the staff is pleasant. Would definitely stay here again when visiting Philadelphia.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and that our staff treated you as you deserve. We are also glad that our Center City location met your needs and hope that you will come visit us again soon.