“A faded gem that's hangin' in there” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt at The Bellevue

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Philadelphia
Basel, Switzerland
“A faded gem that's hangin' in there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

It has been nearly 20 years since I visited the Bellevue, so I was surprised that it had been taken over by Hyatt. And I was a little saddened to see that years had not been so kind to this local landmark.

I had a long layover in Philly and decided to treat myself to a room in town to rest up for an overnight flight to Europe after arriving on a red eye from the west coast. Exhausted, I took advantage of the Hyatt's day rate, which was surprisingly low at under $200 - a far better option, I thought, than the new Minute Suites at PHL.

And it was. To their credit, the staff were professional, caring and responsive. From the front desk to the bell staff to the room service server, everyone put forth a good effort.

But the age of the property really shows. The furniture in my room was damaged. To work at the desk, one had to put the phone on the floor. Plumbing was old and rusted. However, the thing that I really needed - a comfy bed - did not disappoint. The bedding was impeccable and I was grateful for the respite and the much needed shut-eye.

So, it is what it is. And if you are stuck at PHL and trying to decide between hanging at the airport or coming into town for a real rest, I would recommend the Hyatt at the Bellevue. 'What it is' is what the doctor ordered for a weary traveller. Even with its wrinkles.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We very much appreciate the compliments to our staff and are glad that you were able to get some rest on your layover.

I also wanted to let you know that we have completed a full renovation of our suites and will be completing the remainder of our rooms and corridors towards the end of 2013.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that if your travels bring you back to Philadelphia you will visit us again.

Christine Nerone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as a secret hotel for one night in Phili with my friend! It's a true 4* hotel that's for sure! On our arrival we are greeted with friendly staff and directed to our room, which when we got to it was a huge twin room with its own balcony in the conservatory! The room was beautiful as was the view from the bar upstairs. Two negatives, parking is overly priced when hotel isn't really cheap, and no nightly room service! Not even sandwiches! Otherwise very positive and would stay again!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your room and that our hotel exceeded your expectations. We understand that parking may be an additional unexpected cost and we hope that given this and the lack of food options inside the hotel after hours, you will still consider us for your next visit.

Christine.Nerone@hyatt.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed in more up to date hotels but I am not kidding when I said to my husband that the Bellevue was the nicest experience I've had ever. I loved the space, I loved the Starbucks in the lobby, I felt like I was experiencing what the elite experienced decades ago, being treated so nicely,

My only complaint was the elevator. The times I used it, there was a really long wait. The restaurant on floor 19 was very nice.

I've always enjoyed history and this hotel seemed steeped in it.

Room Tip: Choose one where you may not need the elevator, or one with a view so it's a good trade; i.e. lo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We apologize that the elevators had a negative impact on your stay but we appreicate that you valued the history of our building, built in 1904, as much as we do.

Hyatt at the Bellevue takes much pride in being one of Philly's historic sites and we pride ourselves on our building's history and the role it has played as a city landmark.

We hope that you will come visit our city and our hotel again soon.

Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with an amazing lobby and the location is excellent. Our suite was comfortable and a very nice bed. We enjoyed cocktails & delicious lobster sandwiches at the XIX Bar. I was hooked on that lobster sandwich!! Obsessed with that sexy XIX bar and I was there every evening of our stay. Check in was a breeze and overall our stay was great. My stay was only too short and I would definitely return to this hotel when next in Philly!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent visit with us. Hyatt at The Bellevue prides itself on our service and we are glad that we met your expectations. We are very proud of our restaurant XIX and are glad you were able to enjoy it. We hope you will come visit us again soon.

Spring, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I selected this property based on location and was very happy. We were able to walk all the tourist locations and it was a 10-15 cab ride from Amtrak. This was a huge plus since we were headed to DC for the second leg of our trip. The room was spacious and comfortably accommodated three people. The beds were comfortable and the heat timer in the bathroom was an added bonus. The hotel is a little dated with wallpaper from the 80's or early 90's in the corridors and the lobby is very small and not as inviting as the Hyatt Pennsylvania Landing. The room had a draft which was uncomfortable in 20 degree weather. The hotel has more of a Victorian feel that needs a little updating. The staff was very friendly. The hotel is connected to a shopping area and sports bar. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if traveling with two or more people . Theses rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt at the Bellevue. From the moment I checked in, my stay was perfect.

The stay was very welcoming and my room was very clean and modern, not to mention a very comfortable bed. The location was also great, you walk out of the hotel and you are surrounded by lots of restaurants as well as the theatre district. All in all, you can't go wrong staying here.

I will add it was a bit tricky finding the entrance to the valet at the hotel, as it is down a small ally that I drove by twice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I purchased 2 nights in a king room with two complimentary drinks at XIX each night. The building is in an excellent location and it is a beautiful historic landmark building with a very pretty lobby area around the shops. I've stayed in historic hotels before and I feel this one doesn't quite hit the mark. two elevators service all the hotel floors and there were times when we had a pretty long wait to get up or downstairs. The hallways were wide but carpeting needs updating, and that pretty much goes for the rooms as well. The rooms were spacious with high ceilings, but the condition of the rugs, the odd smell in the room, peeling bathtub, shower curtain with a mildew odor, leaky bathtub faucet, dirty sink, among other things just detracted from the entire experience of being in a historic hotel. the door to our room had a big gap underneath so you can hear every person walking by talking at all hours of the night. I wound up sleeping with ear plugs both nights. This is not luxury by any means. The best part of our stay was the use of the gym which was a large clean facility with lots of equipment, pool, court sports, etc. I would pay to use that gym if I lived in Philly. Now the drink vouchers: depending on who you ask, you'll get a different answer about the value of the vouchers. At check in I was told it is a flat $24 credit to the account (average drink being $12) even though we were supposed to received 2 drinks per night. When I received my bill at check out there was a $15.60 charge for XIX on my statement, I questioned it and then the front desk told me it was 4 drinks regardless of value (we had 2 drinks and a club soda), so he removed the charge. Even though they did the right thing in the end, things like this just make me feel like I'm being nickeled and dimed. Also, no complimentary wifi. All in all, i don't think I will return. I'll continue my quest for a hotel close to my daughter's residence in Philly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple