“Could feel the History”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed in more up to date hotels but I am not kidding when I said to my husband that the Bellevue was the nicest experience I've had ever. I loved the space, I loved the Starbucks in the lobby, I felt like I was experiencing what the elite experienced decades ago, being treated so nicely,

My only complaint was the elevator. The times I used it, there was a really long wait. The restaurant on floor 19 was very nice.

I've always enjoyed history and this hotel seemed steeped in it.

Room Tip: Choose one where you may not need the elevator, or one with a view so it's a good trade; i.e. lo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We apologize that the elevators had a negative impact on your stay but we appreicate that you valued the history of our building, built in 1904, as much as we do.

Hyatt at the Bellevue takes much pride in being one of Philly's historic sites and we pride ourselves on our building's history and the role it has played as a city landmark.

We hope that you will come visit our city and our hotel again soon.

Christine Nerone

Write a ReviewReviews (1,445)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with an amazing lobby and the location is excellent. Our suite was comfortable and a very nice bed. We enjoyed cocktails & delicious lobster sandwiches at the XIX Bar. I was hooked on that lobster sandwich!! Obsessed with that sexy XIX bar and I was there every evening of our stay. Check in was a breeze and overall our stay was great. My stay was only too short and I would definitely return to this hotel when next in Philly!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent visit with us. Hyatt at The Bellevue prides itself on our service and we are glad that we met your expectations. We are very proud of our restaurant XIX and are glad you were able to enjoy it. We hope you will come visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I selected this property based on location and was very happy. We were able to walk all the tourist locations and it was a 10-15 cab ride from Amtrak. This was a huge plus since we were headed to DC for the second leg of our trip. The room was spacious and comfortably accommodated three people. The beds were comfortable and the heat timer in the bathroom was an added bonus. The hotel is a little dated with wallpaper from the 80's or early 90's in the corridors and the lobby is very small and not as inviting as the Hyatt Pennsylvania Landing. The room had a draft which was uncomfortable in 20 degree weather. The hotel has more of a Victorian feel that needs a little updating. The staff was very friendly. The hotel is connected to a shopping area and sports bar. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if traveling with two or more people . Theses rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt at the Bellevue. From the moment I checked in, my stay was perfect.

The stay was very welcoming and my room was very clean and modern, not to mention a very comfortable bed. The location was also great, you walk out of the hotel and you are surrounded by lots of restaurants as well as the theatre district. All in all, you can't go wrong staying here.

I will add it was a bit tricky finding the entrance to the valet at the hotel, as it is down a small ally that I drove by twice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I purchased 2 nights in a king room with two complimentary drinks at XIX each night. The building is in an excellent location and it is a beautiful historic landmark building with a very pretty lobby area around the shops. I've stayed in historic hotels before and I feel this one doesn't quite hit the mark. two elevators service all the hotel floors and there were times when we had a pretty long wait to get up or downstairs. The hallways were wide but carpeting needs updating, and that pretty much goes for the rooms as well. The rooms were spacious with high ceilings, but the condition of the rugs, the odd smell in the room, peeling bathtub, shower curtain with a mildew odor, leaky bathtub faucet, dirty sink, among other things just detracted from the entire experience of being in a historic hotel. the door to our room had a big gap underneath so you can hear every person walking by talking at all hours of the night. I wound up sleeping with ear plugs both nights. This is not luxury by any means. The best part of our stay was the use of the gym which was a large clean facility with lots of equipment, pool, court sports, etc. I would pay to use that gym if I lived in Philly. Now the drink vouchers: depending on who you ask, you'll get a different answer about the value of the vouchers. At check in I was told it is a flat $24 credit to the account (average drink being $12) even though we were supposed to received 2 drinks per night. When I received my bill at check out there was a $15.60 charge for XIX on my statement, I questioned it and then the front desk told me it was 4 drinks regardless of value (we had 2 drinks and a club soda), so he removed the charge. Even though they did the right thing in the end, things like this just make me feel like I'm being nickeled and dimed. Also, no complimentary wifi. All in all, i don't think I will return. I'll continue my quest for a hotel close to my daughter's residence in Philly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

From the moment I arrived the staff were friendly and accommodating. They took every opportunity to ensure that I had everything I needed. They are a few blocks from Love Park and centrally located near shopping, the Covention Center, City Hall, Reading Terminal, and several other things. I would definitely book my stay with them again :)

• Stayed: January 2013
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your time in Philly. We strive to provide an exceptional experience to all of our guests and we are glad we met your expectations. We hope that should you have an opportunity to visit Philadelphia you will choose our hotel once again.

Christine.Nerone@hyatt.com

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Spent three nights at the Hyatt at the Bellevue and enjoyed myself immensely. Front desk staff were so courteous and kind at check in; I had called earlier to request a King and the front desk was most helpful. The bellman took good care of my bag while I self parked at the adjacent lot which had hotel in and out privileges.

My room was impeccably clean and the housekeeping staff were very flexible with my schedule; there was not a day that my room was not cleaned; of course you might expect this but understand I had the privacy sign up but I would be contacted on my way out of the room asking if I wanted my room attended to; I thought this was above and beyond normal expectations.

I most enjoyed the fitness club that is connected to the Hyatt. The Sporting Club at the Bellvue is state of the art. All the modern machines combined with traditional amenities like a steamroom and hot tub and a beautiful indoor swimming pool made for a great stay.

Thanks again and I hope to return soon

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent visit with us. We are grateful for your compliments to our team and our glad that we exceeded your expectations. Hyatt prides itself on the level of service we offer and we are pleased that you had a great experience at our hotel. We do hope that you will come visit us again here in Philly soon.

Christine.Nerone@hyatt.com