“Historic Hotel with Alot of Charm”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have stayed at the Bellevue about 5 times over the past 3 months for business. This hotel is centrally located to shopping, dining, and theater. The hotel itself is old and has been recently renovated. The basic King room is nice, but if you are lucky you will get a chance to try one of the upgrades. I've had a few rooms that are suites with large living areas, desk, and separate king size bed. If you have a long stay, I'd highly recommend one of these rooms.
The bathrooms are a bit small and for a family could be a nuisance. Since every room is different, some bathrooms are larger than others.
The restaurant on property has good food but rather pricey. For a business traveler, I find it difficult to eat there for a reasonable price. The bar area is small and usually crowded and loud so I've learned to avoid it.
If you are looking for a historic hotel, with good service, and an elegant restaurant, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a upgrade to a suite.
1  Thank Lucy3333
There are newer reviews for Hyatt at The Bellevue

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. We have stayed with our family, with friends and just my wife & I. Each stay has been up to or above our expectations. We often look to this hotel for a weekend or overnight getaway. It is in a great location and is very convenient to many great restaurants, pubs, shopping, attractions and beautiful churches. The rooms are spacious and elegant...a little bit of "old charm". However, this stay lasted only about 30 minutes. We checked in and were given a room upgrade. We no sooner were in our beautifully renovated room when we received a call from home (only 30 minutes away) that our daughter was pre-maturely going to labor. We had to scurry out and were assisted by the hotel staff. We were not charged and they were quick, efficient and excited about our news. We ended the evening with a new grand daughter. The shortest stay at the Bellevue was our best. This is the best hotel in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while attending a conference, and it was a wonderful stay. The staff is among the most welcoming I've encountered recently, and the hotel has that old world charm, but with modern amenities. The bed was very comfortable, the room well appointed, the views were fantastic. Occassionally I could hear people talking in the next room, and light does stream in under the door, so if you are a light sleeper like me - and need total darkness, I would recommend a sleep mask.
The location is within walking distance of great shopping and restaurants, and there is an upscale food court in the bottom level where I had an excellent breakfast one morning.
The restaurant XIX was breathtaking, and the food superb.
I would highly recommend this hotel and hope I get to stay there again one day.

Room Tip: sleep mask :)
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I chose this hotel for the location and selected a what the website described as a "newly renovated Stratford Suite." Here is their picture of it:

What I got was a mediocre room with peeling wallpaper and chipped paint that smelled slightly like bleach.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was perfect. I guess you have to be lucky or demanding to make sure you get a room that's actually nice.

1  Thank Amelia N
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel is perfect!! The location could not be better. Walking distance to shopping, restaurants, amazing neighborhoods, city hall, the market.... It's the perfect location and
it didn't hurt that there was a starbucks in the lobby!!
The architectural details of the building are fantastic and we could see city hall from our room on the 12th floor. The parking is reasonable and easily accessed and they have in/out privledges. I would gladly stay here & recommend this hotel to anyone!

Didn't eat in the restaurants though so I can't comment on that.

Room Tip: They higher the better & try to get a corner room, there are beautiful views of amazing architec...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bhopwo
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Overall, this hotel is great. Conveniently located and well appointed. Decor is a bit dated, but grand. Room was comfortable and clean. Parking is adjoining the hotel and connected by a walkway. Many restaurants to choose from within a short walk. There are much more modern 4 star hotels available for the money, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for a renovated room and be sure to have the front desk validate parking for reduced rate. Jake...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank red6698
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just returned from overnight stay. We asked for a newly renovated room with a city view. The room was really nice. Their designer did a great job keeping the original old world feel of this older hotel and adding nice, crisp up-to-date decor. Bed and pillows were great. We mentioned it was our anniversary and they sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Nice touch! We had cocktails at XIX at sunset and the city view was beautiful. Note: Hotel entrance is not on Broad Street. You have to turn down a side street to enter the hotel. They probably should put some type of ramp at the entrance also so you can wheel your suitcase in and out of the hotel. (we had to carry our cumbersome suitcase down the front steps when we checked out) - I thought they should discount the parking, since you are staying at their hotel. Overall our stay was terrific and hotel Staff was great! The hotel location was perfect. We walked everywhere or took a short $7.00 cab ride for dinner to Olde City/Front Street.

Room Tip: Request a city view, however expect to see nearby large buildings blocking your view if you stay on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ready4vacation7366
Christine N, Director of Rooms at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate you celebrating your anniversary with us and hope to see you again next year!

My apologies that you had to manage your own bags at check out, while we are unable to make outside adjustments to our building as it is a historical landmark, we do have team members that should have been readily available to assist you.

Congratulations on your anniversary and I hope we see you again soon.