“Average”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel was carved out of what had once been Philadephia's greatest hotel. Most of the building is now offices and high end shops (Ralph Lauren, Tiffany). I'm not wild about the way they cut the place up. The hotel lobby is comparatively small and cramped; probably half of the rooms face an interior, enclosed courtyard, offering views of other rooms' windows, and are, therefore, dark and depressing. Some of the classic rooms have 25-foot ceilings and huge windows, but nothing else to recommend them aesthetically. There are newer rooms that on the one hand are not special, but on the other are actually more comfortable. The hallways are done in a late 19th century "period" style that is garish and unattractive. Service was diffident at best; air conditioning was weak; and the furniture looked and felt heavily used. The hotel was dominated by several wedding parties held on the same day--not a welcoming environment if you weren't a guest. The beds were very comfortable, though, and I appreciated the plentiful and powerful hot water. On the whole, I wish we'd stayed some place else less "historic" and more accommodating. I'm sorry I can't say better things about the Bellevue; it's name demands upgraded facilities and better management.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul_in_VA
There are newer reviews for Hyatt at The Bellevue

Reviewed May 21, 2012

our two room suite was almost as nice as the ritz carlton in DC..the bathroom being not quite as beautiful as a ritz bathroom..and apples in the lobby, rather than brownies-lol

free coffee in the lobby, free bottled water for those dry nights

the furnishings i liked even better- the hyatt grand mattress with duvet was lush. the larger flat screen tv's , the remainder of the suite had a large desk , couch and contemporary chairs.
the color scheme was a eye pleasing grey , and lime with pops of purple

the hotel also provides access to a gorgeous health club which connects(no children under 18 though)

but the best part was , when you picked up the phone to ask for a roll away or towels ...the male evening housekeeping staff were spot on , with attitude and speed

there is a bar/cafe on the top floor with fantastic views of the city as well as a full food court and upscale shops in the basement of the hotel...(al la vegas)

i would definitely rebook

Room Tip: i guess...if your room faces Broad, then there might be some night time noise to contend with..it di...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 5opinionated
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We attended a wedding in Philly - drove down from New York. From the minute you enter the arches and drive in, you feel like you have arrived at your private estate. The staff was incredibly helpful (we got lost on Broad Street and called the hotel. Michelle at the front desk stayed on the phone with us for 10 minutes to guide us effortlessly to the entrance). The renovation was well done. The beautiful old architecture is still visible but the modern updates were done with very skilled hands to create comfortable and beautiful rooms with real "personality". We stayed in the corner Bellevue Suite that provided very nice views of the City, with all the little touches to make one feel at home. Location is perfect and we walked to many of the restaurants and local stores. Highly recommend to travelers.

Room Tip: Bellevue Suite is perfect because it is on a sunny corner.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have had the privilege of staying in this hotel for many week long business trips, and the staff makes you feel at home. Rarely are you able to stay at a chain hotel where the vernacular mirrors the architecture of the city. The recent renovation has created stunning interiors. The location is perfect and in the heart of Center City.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lois R
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I remember when the old Bellevue Stratford was a faded beauty, sadly associated with tragedy and decline. I booked two rooms, a corner suite and a standard room, on a Friday night and found it to be in good hands, and beautifully restored. Everything went so well, until Saturday morning. I was locked out of my room after a coffee run, and the front desk was unable to replace my key. Something went wrong with the machine that issues key cards. So for the rest of the stay, if i wanted to leave my room and return, a security guard would have to let me in.

Then, when I left the garage Saturday morning after checking out, my card wouldn't work there, either. The garage was completely self-help, with no attendants and no one to answer the call button on the machine at the exit lane. I had to abandon my car at the gate, return to the lobby, wait in line to talk to the one person at reception, and get a new ticket. I left frazzled, which was a shame because the overall experience was wonderful until that morning.

Room Tip: If you book online, consider the upgrades. I got a corner room, a city view, for just a little more...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Steeroyo
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Great older property, with a not so great history - while on my business trip, I was frequently reminded by locals that this was the hotel with the Legionnaires' Disease breakout years past.
I really enjoyed this hotel. The location was excellent within easy walking distance of City Hall and any number of shops, stores, restaurants, including an entire business focused food court downstairs. The hotel itself was old school Grand Dame - Westin St Francis and The US Grant come to mind. I found the rooms very spacious, good internet, great room service if a little expensive.
What put this hotel over the top was the access to the Bellevue Gym. Rated #2 hotel gym in the US last year, it is a 93,000 sq ft facility (not a typo) over 3floors, and access is FREE.
At other highly rated hotel gyms, there are fees, such as Meridien Parker in NYC, rated #1 last year, with a $20 daily fee to go. The Bellevue was free access with hotel key, incl the classes.
Great downtown location, beautiful old building, great facilities.
I will stay here every chance I get.

Room Tip: They seemed to have any number of suite upgrades available, including balcony suites, and the Bellev...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank KevinSdammit
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I was in town for a friend's wedding. The pros: location is great for walking to various spots in the city and the hotel itself felt posh, although the rooms were a bit worn around the edges. However, they were also clean and the beds were comfy. I used the hotel's business center to print off my boarding pass for the flight home and that was convenient. If you want to treat yourself, go to hotel restaurant's brunch at XIX restaurant. Also, nice balcony off of the restaurant to sit and have drinks on a sunny day. I'm usually a Starwood person, so haven't had much, if any, Hyatt experience but I would consider another Hyatt property. I agree with some other posters with regard to the elevators- they are slow...slow as molasses particularly on Saturday afternoon. I'm not sure that my experience was commensurate with the rate that I paid or otherwise super special, but I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends