“Old World Charm in downtown Philly”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Arlington, Virginia
“Old World Charm in downtown Philly”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Apparently this is the oldest hotel in Philadelphia and it's nicely located in the heart of the downtown area and close to the Convention Center which is a short 10 minute walk. I stayed here for a convention and overall found it a pleasant hotel. The hotel staff were all very nice and accommodating. My room was large, clean and nicely decorated, in a style fitting the old world charm of the hotel's entire decor. The bathroom was spacious with lots of counter space although I think they could have done a slightly nicer job on the fixtures -- I'm obsessive about bathrooms and you can always tell when a property has skimped when you look at the fixtures and shower heads. The shower head was a cheap, basic Speakman. For a hotel of this decor and level, the should have upgraded those. My toilet had a problem the first night I was there and they had to send up an engineer to fix it which was a minor inconvenience but they did fix it quickly and everything was back in working order within 15 minutes. I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants nor did I use the fitness center, although the staff was kind enough to suggest a running trail for me which I did follow and was glad I had a chance to see downtown Philly and the Schuylkill River running the route they suggested. Overall I had a nice stay here and would stay here again and recommend it, given its central location, nice staff and spacious rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

The Hyatt Bellevue is a comfortable, well-decorated old hotel in an excellent spot for exploring Philly. The staff are all friendly and helpful, and the XIX restaurant on the top floor is a beautiful spot with a domed ceilng and open terraces on two sides. - a special place for evening drinks or a meal. The Hyatt's roms are very large, with high ceilings and comfortable and attractive furnishngs and linens. There are some pitfalls to it being an older building - hall noise is audible and elevators not as plentiful as some newer buildings, but the space, comfort, location and charm of the Bellevue far outweigh them.

Stayed April 2012
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The Bellevue Hyatt is centrally located and is within walking disatance of many historic attractions. The hotel is housed in an older building that appears to be undergoing interior renovations. The room that I was assigned had been recently updated and had a modern feel. The in room four seat bar area and balcony were unanticipated and appreciated upgrades. Note... Many of the rooms have not been updated. All remaining members of our group (10 people) were assigned older rooms that I think are intended to have a period look and feel but just simply come across as looking tired rather than elegant. The elevators are slow and during peak periods can take up to 10 minutes to call. If you are a fitness buff. The health club is massive and rivals any hotel facility that I have ever used.

I really wanted to like this place based on the location and the room that I was assigned but there were several issues that prevented me from giving this property 2 thumbs up. The first morning the power went out in my room while I was showering. It seemed to be an isolated issue affecting only a handful of rooms but I was unable to use either phone to contact the desk as they required power. I managed to get dressed using the screen from my laptop for lighting. When I notified the front desk of the problem I was told "that's interesting, we have had a couple of other reports of problems". She indicated that engineering would look into the matter. The problem was not resolved before I had to leave for my meeting. I would have appreciated an opportunity to use another room to iron my shirt and finish getting ready. The other concern is linked to a problem a coworker experienced. They had gone to bed for the night and was awakened at 10:30 pm by hotel staff that wanted to inform him that there was a problem with the scan of his credit card. I can't think of a good reason for any hotel staff to be knocking on a door at 10:30 for any reason other than a safety concern. He was unable to get back to sleep after the interruption. His room was comped but what he really wanted was a good nights sleep rather than a free room.

This property has promise and if you snag an updated room I'd say its worth giving a try. Otherwise, I'd head up the block to the Ritz Carlton or across town to the Hyatt Penn Landing.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Dan V
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is exquisitely renovated with a beautifully restored lobby and well appointed rooms. The staff is quite friendly and seemingly glad to have you as a guest. Our room was spacious with a comfortable bed. The floor hallways are wide, and there is a wonderful fitness center and inner conservatory courtyard. There is free internet access in the lobby. The location, just south of City Hall, is convenient to Centre City, Historic Section, and the Theatre District.

Room Tip: If you get a room that faces into the Conservatory, it will not have much natural light.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
new york
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is a traditional hotel that has recently been renovated. Since we normally like contemporary hotels, this was different than our normal hotel, but we got a good rate on Priceline. If you like grand old hotels, you'll like this one. The room was had was very comfortable and fine. Location is perfect for centre city right on Walnut and Broad. I guess the best part for me was the gym which was a separate facility connected by a walkway. This was probably the best hotel gym I have ever been to (compares well to the Houstonian, which also has a great gym). If you like to work out, this is the place for you....pool, basketball, squash, boxing, gym, yoga, classes, you name it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The bed was very comfortable, with good linens and pillows. The building is old, however, so street noise is fairly audible. We brought out own sound machine for white noise, which I'd recommend. The breakfast at XIX was great...if you are very lucky, you'll get either Danielle or Catalina as your server, both of whom could not be more attentive or helpful. The breakfast buffet was $20.00, but included fresh berries, smoked salmon, assorted cheeses, lots of high quality fresh baked goodies, along with typical hot breakfast items. The location of the Bellevue is ideal...close to everything. We'll go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GHartley
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed at the Bellevue because we went to see The Black Keys in concert. The location of the hotel was amazing and so was the feel and decor. The staff was very helpful and nice and the reception even upgraded our room for no reason. The room was amazing. Although, there was a cot still in the room and the safe didn't work. I loved the bathroom and the bed soooo comfortable. We took public transit to the venue which was fun and easy BUT getting back was a nightmare. We thought (coming from NYC), that we could stand in a taxi or car service line from the stadium which wasn't the case. You see, we could've driven but the reception told us not to bother, that transportation wouldn't be a problem. The line getting back into their subway, was excruciatingly long and we didn't want to wait so we started walking ,and walking and walking for about 2 1/2 miles. Thank God I didn't wear heels and that it was relatively safe. There were no taxis to be found nor did the front desk give us a card for a car service. This would deter us from staying there again because the positives outweighs the negatives and what's a little exercise? We're from Manhattan, right? But what if one of us were intoxicated or injured and it wasn't safe to walk. It was my first time in Philly so it could have been a bad experience. All in all, it was a great experience and we would stay there again in a heart beat. Also, love the Starbucks and the shops in the hotel!!

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade, it can't hurt!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple