“Central location, affordable and lovely room”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
philadelphia
“Central location, affordable and lovely room”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Spent one night so we could meet friends for a late dinner then crash...it was perfect. We used priceline and got a great rate (our friends stayed at the ritz carlton and paid almost double what we did). We didn't take advantage of the library upstairs for drinks or the restaurant but we did go down to the shops in the morning for breakfast and some shopping. Parking garage is right there and very convenient.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The bar/restaurant XIX is quite an experience. Great service, terrific sommelier, lovely atmosphere... The spa in the gym is a completely different experience. Here's my experience: I scheduled a hot stone massage which in itself was great. However, upon arrival I informed the front desk this was my first visit -I was then asked if I needed a robe and flip flops. Odd given they had restated my scheduled massage was at 11am. Yes, I needed a robe and flip flops.... I was walked over to the locker room And found nearly all lockers were taken and some were in disrepair. I was directed to the "waiting area". By waiting area, they meant 2 chairs in the public hallway in the pool room. Luckily, my massage therapist was waiting for me. The idea of sitting in a public area in my robe would have been uncomfortable. As I said, the massage was quite good. I returned to the locker room only to find further disrepair and very loud ladies disturbing others while on their cell phones. Moreover the towels are very small and some nearly threadbare. Also, beware of using the valet parking as a non- guest, not a great experience. If the front desk, upon hearing about this being my first visit, had given some instruction about how it worked and where to go after I was done, it would have been helpful. I attempted to go back to the hotel from the spa, but the door back requires a card key. I was forced to take the elevator down to the parking garage. I handed the valet my card and was instructed to pay for the parking in advance. I walked to the hotel front desk and was told I had to exit the hotel and use the kiosk in the parking garage. Did I mention it was 30 degrees out? I used the kiosk, returned to the valet who sent for the car. Nearly 15 mins later a very young valet pulled my car around in reverse... I was grateful to leave. Why didn't the front desk give more instruction or even require me to fill out a health form before my treatment? Why didn't the valet direct me to the kiosk instead of allowing me to wait by the hotel front desk? Why did the young valet pull my car around in reverse?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank renee1228
NYC
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed here for one night on Christmas eve. We got a great price through priceline, but if I had to pay any more than we paid (<100), I would have felt it wasn't worth it. The hotel does have some nice historic features, but overall...it's very blah. The lobby is underwhelming--small and only had 1-2 people manning the reception desk. The hallways were way too aqua blue.....blue walls, blue carpeting...an eyesore. Our room was just a box shape with no interior hallway, which meant the front door was just across from our bed and made us very aware that we were in a hotel which lacked privacy. The bathroom was tiny and the toilet was oddly located just inches away from the sink counter (which meant that only one person can be in the bathroom at a time). The only nice thing was that a sample size of our favorite toothpaste (Aquafresh Extreme Clean) was provided. There was visible water damage on our ceiling and torn wallpaper. The bed and linens were standard.

It was fine for a 1-2 night stay, but nothing special about this place at all. I'm shocked it got 4.5 stars for hotel class on tripadvisor, because to me it's 3.5 stars at best.

1 Thank huajules
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Hotel is going thru a major renovation. Do not stay here you will be upset. The plumbing system had major issues during my stay. The toilets regularly blast water all over the bathroom so keep your lids closed! Very dated and ugly interior. The Room Service was inedible. The staff was pleasant and expecting complaints! You have been warned.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank robtguy
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The Hyatt at the Bellevue is an older hotel (one of the grande dames) located in the middle of downtown Philadelphia. It is about 2 blocks from city hall. The hotel is in dire need of a face lift which is slowly occurring. The lobby is an eyesore as are the hallways. BUT, despite being worn, the room were immaculate.

The restaurant is top notch The architecture is something to see. Make sure you at least visit it and walk out on a balcony for a great view of the city form the 19th floor. In addition, the multi million dollar updating of the restaurant maintained the authenticity and integrity of the original architecture. It is beautiful, combining the old and the new. If you are are hungry the food will NOT disappoint and is as good as the room is beautiful.

Now on to the not so good. This is the 25th different Hyatt I have stayed in. I have been a gold passport member for almost 25 years. So I have seen the great, to the good and on occasion average, But, I have never encountered a more poorly trained, poorly service educated or inane lobby staff at any Hyatt hotel. This aspect of the hotel really detracted from our stay.

In fact I am not sure I would stay here again because the lobby staff is just that pathetic and seem not to care that they have jobs in this economy.

This hotel participates in American Expresses Platinum program about which the staff had no idea. After explaining same, we did receive the room upgrade. But the staff never reviewed any of the hotel amenities with us, never informed us about morning coffee in the lobby, never provided us with map of downtown until I had to ask for same three times. In fact they never even offered a bell person’s services. Come to think of it over the three days we were in the hotel, I do not recall ever seeing a bell man.

The afternoon concierge also sent us about 20 blocks out of our way giving us the wrong address for the restaurant where we had reservations and incorrect directions.

Simply stated, the lobby staff need to be re-trained or replaced. They really hurt the guest experience.

So to summarize, if you stay here, make sure to reserve an updated room and do not rely on the lobby staff for anything. Better yet eat at the restaurant and stay at the Four Seasons or the Rittenhouse. They are much better hotels and we have stayed at both!

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
2 Thank Richard A
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is a classic old world hotel but still has great wi-fi reception in the rooms. The restaurant XIX has a nice breakfast selection.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This a centrally located hotel within walking distance of much of what downtown Philadelphia has to offer. The rooms are large but some are renovated, some being renovated and other need renovation (we were there on a weekend and they had some floors closed for work). The historical detail of the hotel is a major feature and provides a level of romance - there were many people on anniversary trips and the atrium on level 19 is a meeting/dining destination in Philadelphia.
I had room service after arrival (closes 11pm) and was able to order the rib eye from the Level 19 restaurant menu - good but a little pricey.

Who might not like this?
Typical Hyattophiles who like modern, clean lines in the rooms and hallways are going to find them here.
A special note for folks who might be physically disabled: getting into and out of the hotel is a bit of challenge. My taxi pulled up in the lane way and blocked traffic into the adjacent parking structure while I paid. There are several steps from street levee as you enter the Foyer. If this is an issue, I would advise calling the hotel and arranging entrance through the adjacent Bellevue Shopping center which is on a level. Access from the elevator to other levels will not be a problem.

Room Tip: See tip for PD clients on getting into the hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
JMillerBellevuePHL, General Manager at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments regarding Hyatt at The Bellevue. The Hotel is completing a $3.6 million renovation including a new independant accessable lift.. We look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia.

Kind regards,