“Good Hotel”

Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Tampa, Florida
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This is a nice hotel. It is older and renovated and provides some nice views of the city. It is in a very good location within walking distance of most of the prime sites of downtown. We enjoyed that is was very close to Reading Terminal Market and excellent restauraunts. Though we thought that corners were cut on the renovation with popcorn ceilings that covered existing chandalier mounts, it was very clean and the staff was pretty accommodating. We did valet but recommend you self park to save a few bucks.

We had 2 rooms (1 King, 2 Queen twins), and the 2 queens seemed much nicer on the 12th floor than the King on the 14th floor.

Unfortunately we arrived around 1030 and got to the hotel restaurant 5 minutes to 11 and the kitchend refused to serve us from the dinner menu versus the late night menu.

I stayed at Loews and the Hyatt 2 blocks away before and if you want to be right in the mix in a very busy hotel, those may be a better option for you, especially with young kids.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 1211 has a good view, 1438 does n.ot
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
DChien, General Manager at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments regarding Hyatt at The Bellevue. The Hotel will be undergoing a $3.5 million renovation to begin this Fall. We look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Miller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My family and I truly enjoyed ourselves at your Hotel!! We stayed for three nights and your Doorman "Amalio" helped us each night. He was wonderful and straight to the point with directions and restaurant reccomendations!!! Please let him know what a great job he is doing!!
Thank you Hyatt for a great family getaway

The Goldsmith Family

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Goldsmith013
flemington
Reviewed May 23, 2011

When I booked the room I was told the hotel was renovated in 2000, not true. First room they gave me only had one chair even though there were 2 of us booked. Elevators were not working when we arrived on Wednesday, 2 days later they were still being worked on ! Asked for frig in room, not there. Wanted to watch Phillies on 32" LCD and was told can't get the game. Beds were too soft. When I checked out they couldn't print me a receipt and they said they would email it to me. Seventy-two hours later and 3 requests for the bill and still NOTHING....very disappointed. Only thing going for this place is its location. Paid over $300. a night do to large convention going on in city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jerzeyjac
DChien, General Manager at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Hyatt at The Bellevue. Rest assure we take your comments very seriously and we will certainly task to address each concern. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia.

Warm regards,

Jeffrey Miller
williamstown, ma
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Hyatt's beds are SO comfy - almost hard to leave them to go explore the city! This hotel's location is excellent - you can walk just about anywhere - and it's an elegant, older hotel mid-city with a fantastic ballroom. Hotel could be cleaner in hallways; rooms were fine. Only 2 things I would change: internet is really not satisfactory - very slow, and business center is not really much to speak of & upstairs as an adjunct - rather like an afterthought - attached to a side and rather surprising (a bit dingy) room off the bar/lounge. It would benefit the hotel to improve their internet service for business travelers. Also: it would be nice to have a larger lobby, and have the downstairs restaurants open for dinner as well as lunch - lots of people going downstairs at night but nothing open except noisy bar. Restaurant/room service quite good. Staff very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again as I enjoyed both the hotel and the location, but I really hope they change their internet service to reflect business travelers' needs.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank journey500
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2011

This historic building held a lot of promise for a fun stay with a friend. It held promise of a great restaurant, bar and outdoor balcony to enjoy the views of the city. All turned out to be a disappointment. The parking procedure was unclear upon entry to the lot ( and very expensive). The room requested wasn't available upon checking in and our "free upgrade' was a room which was nicely decorated and mostly clean BUT temperature wise was uncomfortable (hot) and had no working phone which required us to use our cell phones to contact the front desk. There were no available fans to circulate the uncomfortable air because other guest also requested them. We left and asked someone to please adjust the climate. 4 hours later, the room wasn't fixed and we were told there is a problem and there isn't anything they can do to fix it. The host in the restaurant and lounge ( when we finally found it) was rude and didn't offer an explanation as to why the balcony was closed when asked. Our room had no windows or view of the beautiful streets below. Instead, we had windows which looked down into a common area .Yes, bad events happen. Unfortunately not one person during our stay apologized for the series of unfortunate events.Quite the dissappointment from a hotel chain I used to respect...

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank atruefriend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Stayed at the Hyatt at the Bellevue after walking past it on every trip I have ever been to Philly....my normal hotel was sold out, so I decided to try the Hyatt as their rates were very reasonable.

My first room had zero hot water - realizing that I called down to ask that someone looked at it while I went over to the Sportsclub (highlight of the stay).

Upon returning, I still had non hot water and need to be at a dinner meeting in an hour....called back down to the front desk, where the receptionist suggested that I shower in a different room - I had thoughts of walkinf down the hall in a towel and shower shoes.

After informing her that I wasn't about to do that, and some cajoling I got her to move me to a new room - a Bellevue Suite - which I was excited about until I got there. The main room's air conditioner was not working, meaning it was about 85 degrees the entire time. The bathroom, while it had hot water, was dark and dingy.

With a 4:40 AM train, I was told to call down before I was ready to leave to make sure they had a taxi available. After calling the front, desk, guest service and the bell desk several times and letting it ring incessantly, I finally got someone to answer and get me a cab - of course no offer to help with my bags, nor was there anyone to check me out and give me a copy of my bill.

Overall, while it definitely is a hotel with an historic feel, I will take the newer and remodeled hotels in Center City any day of the week.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank BSS78
blandry123
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I spent on night at this hotel. The lobby is simple and understated. When we checked in the staff was great with help getting us reservations at IXX Resturant. Our room was on the 16th floor with an awesome view. There were a few cosmetic issues, but overall this hotel was a great experience and I would definately stay there if I am in Philly again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple