“The staff tries, but it is a pit”

Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Airport - Bartram Ave.
Ranked #74 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Boston
“The staff tries, but it is a pit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2008

Got stuck at PHL airport and was happy to get a property near the hotel. But eneded up in a room that smelled like an extended family of cats had camped out for a month before I showed up. Never seen anything like it in the US. The staff were nice and in fairness warned me the room was not pristine. But still, the fact a room like this existed is a bit alarming. I'm generally not a neat freak, but I made sure never to walk on the carpet in bare feet. If you need to stay by the airport, try and get into the embassy suites instead (they should be done with a renovation they were doing by now)

• Liked — nothing - staff were nice though
  • Disliked — my room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Rob0ny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Rochelle, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

Frequently I have to book a hotel near the Philadelphia airport on short notice. Sometimes I have to "settle" for this place because everything is fully booked. I can now see why this is the only place with available rooms.

These rooms are not properly cleaned. The rooms smell like mold, the bathroom sink is crusty, and even though the bed is made, the sheets are wrinkled and appear as if someone has already slept in them. The corners of the room have some sort of brown crust accumulating. I had to leave and purchase some sanitizing wipes to prevent myself from vomiting.

It does not help that people are allowed to cook in their rooms. The entire floor smells like a take-out restaurant. Hotel guests obviously unhappy with their own disgusting food smelling up their rooms put their garbage outside their room in the hallway. The only problem is that this establishment has no maid staff on the premises. Cleaning is only done every few days. Rotting food sitting around for hours on end leaves the entire hotel smelling like a sewer.

I felt as though a film of filth was accumulating on me the longer I stayed in the hotel.

Interestingly enough I filled out a survey trashing this disgusting establishment. The only thing this accomplished was getting me on Extended Stay's mailing list. Now I get e-mails every other day advertising their hotel rates.

Complaining to the staff does nothing. When the person at the desk asked me how my stay was, I told them how horrible it was. He half-heartedly apologized and did nothing else.

People only stay here because it is a busy area and it is in a prime location. Do yourself a favor and sleep in your car instead.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Filth
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank DamonCT
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

?? I didn't think this place was that bad at all. Was really braced for the worst after reading the reviews, so thank heaven it didn't live down to my expectations. I got this hotel on Priceline after picking a "two star" accommodation...apparently it had formerly been rated one star. Paid $75 plus taxes.

Firstly, yes, it's an economy hotel. The furnishings weren't opulent but they were decent enough. Looked like someone went to Ikea and bought out the place (although it'd be basic, no frills Ikea stuff, not the fancy rugs and decor.)

The bed was very comfortable, I thought (and I'm used to the plushy digs at Hampton Inn, Sheraton, etc). I slept like a log. No loud noises in the hall, the light blocking curtains worked great, lots of good water pressure, air conditioner ran like a champ. Plus my room at least was spotless. Plenty of close, free parking, a relief when you arrive in the wee hours and are walking into the lobby alone. The night watchman let me in well after the lobby closed and gave me a key, no problem.

Honestly? I'd gladly stay here again. The free coffee in the lobby was great. The only item I'd add: there's another Extended Stay nearby. Be sure you're at the right one before you unload all your bags.

• Liked — Clean, quiet, decent price, comfy bed, good air conditioning on a HOT day
  • Disliked — A touch spartan...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

I have used priceline to book hotels almost exclusively, and I have never had a problem. This was the first hotel that I can say I would NEVER stay in again.

The hotel staff was nice enough, though they wouldn't let us check in even a little bit early and I had a business meeting to go to. They WERE nice enough to let me use their bathroom though.

The floors of this hotel (hallways especially) are filthy! I felt dirty the entire time I was there. I brought my own sheets and pillow cases based on some reviews I read after the hotel was booked, and I'm so glad I did. The chair had a very disgusting stain on it, the kitchen and bathroom were ok. The room itself wasn't awful, but it had a really strange smell, and it was a nonsmoking room. The worst part was that someone had put trash in the stairwell (which had trash cans in it, so it wasn't a big deal) and the trash wasn't taken away for THREE days! It smelled awful. Although I love Philly and didn't want my vacation to end, I was more than happy to leave that hotel, and I will not be going back.

• Liked — The wireless intenet and the proximity to the R1 and the Wachovia Center
  • Disliked — Extremely dirty
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank speffer
Flintshire UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

Our room smelt of burnt cooking fat. I think this was because it had a dirty oven. I asked if it could be cleaned, they said they would try to get round to it in a few days. The smell was still there when we left three days later. The place was full, so we couldn’t change rooms.

In general it’s not particularly clean and in desperate need of a face lift. If you use the internet they charge you $4.99 to connect.

If you can find somewhere else to stay, do so!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank patmed
tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

Before naming a price to bid a six-day stay in Philly, my bf and I were looking for a reasonable price with a comfortable room. Then, we planned to travel back and forth during our visit in Philly and fortunately we got a rather cheap price ($40/day) to stay in the hotel. Originally, I checked the review first on tripadvisor.com and we were horrified by the review. Nevertheless, after we arrived at the hotel at around 1am, we tried to reach the desk but no one was around. Therefore, we didn't enter our room till 30 minutes later--obviously the night shifter went to take a shower and our call was finally picked up. The room was not that dirty and the bed was satisfactory (if you don't use a five-star standard to examine it, it's worth the price paid.) So, my advice is that if you don't want to wait, go there between 7am and 11pm and you will be taken care of without too much hassle. Also, wireless internet is provided with a price of 4.99 per stay (that meant we only paid 4.99 for our six-day stay). So, 55 (40+tax and some fees) dollars a day are not that bad with the quality we got anyway.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2008

What a complete Dump! I can't believe that I subjected my family to such a filthy hotel. The carpets were stained, bathrooms partly cleaned, stained linens, and the list goes on. The staff seemed liked they could care less when I expressed my concerns.

Stay Away!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Filthy rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family