“Great location, great hotel”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Annapolis
“Great location, great hotel”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The location was perfect with a lovely view, the staff was really nice and helpful, and it was a great value. It has an indoor pool and hot tub, gym and racquetball court. The rooms were spacious and clean, beds and pillows were very comfortable.

We got a deal on hotels.com and it included a free buffet breakfast in their dining room - very good! Really, nothing negative to say about this property.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Dear suzt,
Thank you for taking the time to post something about your recent enjoyable stay at the Doubletree Philadelphia. I was very pleased to read how positive your stay was.

We hope to see you soon for your next visit to Philadelphia!
Bill Fitzgerald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Three friends and I stayed here Saturday night during a visit to Philly. The location couldn't have been better: right in the heart of the gay neighborhood, within walking distance to the city's gay nightlife and restaurants. I can't think of a better place to stay for the gay traveler.

A few other things I liked: the chocolate chip cookies at check-in; the fast response to my request for more towels; the friendly staff; the amazing corner view of the city from our room; breakfast buffet included in the price of the room.

A few things I didn't like: the elevator in the garage was very slow and small; the buffet had a lot to offer but the food was only OK; the tiles in the shower needed a little work. Mostly small quibbles.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Dear NYCleveland,
First, I love that you took pictures! Secondly, it seems like you had an overall wonderful stay with us. I'm so glad that you posted very specifics things that you liked (and didn't like about your stay). Sometimes we aren't always aware of what we need to improve.

I hope you get to come back and visit us again soon! With spring right around the corner you might want to plan another visit. Our location is so great for walking in the spring-you get to see so much just by going a few blocks in any direction. It will be great to not have a winter coat to lug around!

We hope to see you soon!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I would like to recommend this hotel due to the great staff - especially the Bell Hops! Each and every morning- these gentlemen helped me find my way around Philadelphia and made sure I knew where I was going! Great staff- Great Hotel!!

K, McClarnon
Pittsburgh

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear mcclarnon,
Thank you for posting such a positive review of your recent stay. I have already forwarded your kind words on to our bellstaff. They are so knowledgeable and are always learning where to send our guests next!

I hope to see you again soon!

Washington Boro, PA
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this Doubletree Saturday evening, January 9th. We were in town for dinner but there seemed to be a lot of charming families with very well behaved children going to the Academy of Music (which is right across the street) and other shows on South Broad Street.

The hotel is literally just down the street from City Hall and is right in the arts district although GoogleMaps made it seem further. Our room was on the 18th floor and as other guests have said was not very quiet but after midnight was like a tomb. The room was small but very functional and clean. We had the health club to ourselves for over an hour and it was very good. Glanced at the pool and it was very nice.

The staff was very courteous, especially at breakfast the next morning which was very nice (but not outstanding, the roll selection was a bit stale). Parking was not a hassle but this was the weekend and Center City was deserted.

For the price it was an excellent deal and I wouldn't look further for a place to stay if you need to be in that part of Philadelphia.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear MagneticCommand,
So happy to read of your recent enjoyable stay with us at the Doubletree Philadelphia. We love that we host families, couples, business travelers and those looking for an adventure. It is what keeps us diverse and on our toes!

I will be sure to pass on your pleasant comments to our breakfast staff-they sometimes are overlooked due to people being in a rush and it just plain being morning...

The staff and I hope to see you again soon! Philadelphia is a great place to visit in the Spring!

Reston
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We were very pleased with our sunny and large room (#2203). The location was great and the staff was cheerful and helpful. The beds were comfortable and the entire room was very clean. We would definitely stay at the Doubletree again.

Dear nicklasReston,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your recent stay at the Doubletree Philadelphia. One of my favorite part of reading our guests reviews is how much they all seem to take advantage of our excellent location. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with our staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Philly, PA
Reviewed January 4, 2011

This is my third year at the Doubletree for new year's eve and the parade. I have always been impressed with the staff and how the hotel security handles the "people flow" on the day of the parade. The room is a fine size for myself, husband and 8 year old. It is a very busy and fun time of the year to stay at this hotel but if you are wanting to enjoy yourself and the atmosphere, there isn't a better hotel on Broad Street along the parade route (we have stayed at all of them). We were very happy with the complimentary contenental breakfast offered on Sunday morning. My son loved the muffins.

If you are looking for a quiet new year's eve and day, this may not be the place for you. We personally love the fun and look forward to it every year. In fact, I just booked my room for next year.

2 Thank kristy k
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear Goodtimes,
I'm thrilled to hear of the great time that you had at the Doubletree Philadelphia over the New Years Holiday Weekend! It is such a great place to be right in the middle of all the action. After years and years of hosting many guests for the day of the parade we really have tried to make the flow of traffic of people as seamless as possible. Thank you for noticing-that is one day where all my staff really comes together to enhance the experience of all our guests.

We look forward to having you back next year! Have a wonderful 2011!

Bill Fitzgerald

PS-Why not come back before NYE???
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I have never experienced a Doubletree like this! I may as well have been sleeping on the streets! I tend to take travel reviews with a grain of salt -- I'm kicking myself for not following others' advice about this hotel. While location is decent, that's about all the hotel has to offer. We reserved a "corner" room to watch the New Years Day parade from... we got the smallest room on the floor on the side of the building over an alley. We were quoted one rate - got another when we checked in. Because we were staying over New Year's eve, the hotel more than doubled our rate on that night. Apparently, their computer system is so antiquated that it couldn't handle two different rates for one stay, so it just charged us the doubled price for every night! Ice machines were empty or broken on every floor -- every night. Room service never appeared with the requested ice. Doors have large gaps under them so disruption from even "inside voices" was horrendous! God forbid someone in a room at the end of the hall came in late -- the slamming of all doors (you physically cannot close them quietly) would wake you from a sound sleep! The absolute worst part about this entire stay was the hotel ventillation system -- or lack thereof! The hotel is listed as non-smoking and states that they will charge you $150 if you smoke in the room. However, we were constantly choking from cigarette smoke coming in through the bathroom vent from the room next door. While on the 23rd floor, we were awoken every day around 5 a.m. to the smell of bacon and pancake syrup. While some find that pleasant, it was a bit early to wake up when on vacation. This morning, at approximately 4 a.m., a "trash fire" was reported. The fire department showed up. At 4:30, the smell of exhaust fumes from the trucks below were so bad, we got dressed and went for a walk-just to be able to breathe again!!! There are many hotels in this area -- don't let the Doubletree Philadelphia fool you -- stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PattiMerritt
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
Dear PattiMerritt,
I apologize for your many issue you experienced during your recent stay at the Doubletree Philadelphia. Being a prime Center City Hotel located on Broad St. on New Yers Eve although mostly a positive for our guests can at times present a few challenges.

New Years Eve with the Mummers, many events and weddings at the hotel is exciting; however does brign us hundreds of guests. I understand it can get loud and noisey due to the nature of the night.

I apologize you had an unpleasant experience. Please contact me directly at bill.fitzgerald@hilton.com to see how we can make this right for you.