“One Night In Phili”

Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Baltimore
“One Night In Phili”
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. We had a corner unit on the 10th floor that overlooked Broad Street. The view was amazing and the nicely furnished room fit the bill. The bathroom set was nice and everything seemed to be in order. The hotel pool are was ok and the hot was extremely HOT!!!! I’d suggest a bar on the outside terrace. Overall I would definitely stay at the downtown Doubletree and suggest it to anyway planning to stay in downtown Philadelphia.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mandim1010
Reviewed June 23, 2009

One of the drinking glasses in my room still had the remnants of a dark colored beverage in it- obviously used, but sitting next to the ice bucket with the paper lid on it like it was clean.
Street noise is a bit of a problem if you're a light sleeper.
Upon checkout, there were several charges for movies that I did not incur, and the front desk staff happily removed those. The staff overall was very friendly and helpful.
As a buisness traveler, I would have expected free high speed internet in the rooms, not just free wireless in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Mandim1010
Massachusetts traveller
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We stayed here 2 nights in June. It is not close to museums but is close to shopping and theaters. I found the noise from the street incompatible with sleep. We were on the 15th floor. I think they could use some noise reduction windows. I found the staff not overly helpful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Charmagne88
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I've been using the Doubletree Hotel Philadelphia constantly over the past several years, so it's nice to see the hotel get the renovation it truly deserved. I just stayed here again this weekend, and was happy with the update!

The Location: The hotel is centrally located in the downtown area. You've got the Kimmel Center, Penn Square and Reading Terminal/Convention Center all within walking distance. There are also a ton of restaurants and boutique shops. And if you need your car, there's a convenient garage just next door with unlimited in-and-out privileges (there is an additional fee to park here, but the fee is 'equal to' or 'less than' other nearby hotels). The garage can get crowded on a busy summer evening, but it's nice to know Doubletree Hotel guests always have parking - even when the garage is full!

The Room: The rooms are all renovated, and it shows. The fabrics are new and modern, and the electronics have all been updated. There's even a nice flat screen TV, though I did find it odd that they haven't switched to a better connection. The picture is less than quality - not a big deal if you're not watching TV, but I can imagine it would get annoying for someone who's in town for a longer visit, say a conference or something. The only spot I noticed had missed the upgrades was in the bathroom behind the door - the fixtures were obviously old, and the wall papering job wasn't the greatest - but that's getting REALLY picky. They did use a new bamboo-looking tile in the bath surround, and the shower head/pressure is EXCELLENT! There are also new AC units - nice, considering the old ones were a bit musty and often in need of a filter change. On that same note, I did notice there was a sign in our room stating a $200+ fine for smoking in your room, but I'm not 100% sure if this is a smoke-free hotel, or it was just a smoke-free room. Oh, and our room was just down from the elevator, but I never heard a noise coming from the hallway or the rooms next door.

The Service: The staff was incredibly friendly, and we had no issues upon checking-in. I will say that after that we didn't really have to interact with the staff, but we did order extra milk and cookies, and the order was delivered to our room within 20 minutes of check-in. On previous stays here, I've never had any problems with staff, and on the one occasion that there was a tiny issue with our room, they immediately rectified the situation, and gave us a free breakfast voucher as an apology.

Overall, I truly like this hotel, and feel like it's a great value in the city - and I'm not just talking money. On a personal note, make sure to request a room facing Broad Street!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nochsr
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Having lived in Philadelphia for the last ten years, my parents have come often and have stayed in many of the downtown Philadelphia hotels. They returned to Philadelphia last weekend and choose again to stay at the Doubletree because past experiences have been fine. The hotel is in a great location. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and have fabulous views. Because of all of these reasons, I stayed in a second room down the hall from them so that we could all be in one place to enjoy my graduation weekend. Unfortunately this turned out to be a serious mistake. The doors do not close properly or easily; it is easy for the door to appear closed but not actually have latched closed and locked. This happened to my door, and when I left the room for a few hours, I returned to find my digital camera and jewelry stolen. The door appeared closed to not just myself but also to my parents, and yet someone knew to push on closed looking doors because they were not all latched locked. Conveniently the hotel does not have security cameras on the guest floors despite several different employees divulging both that this happened just last week and that they know that the doors do not lock properly. Whether I should' ve pushed on the door after I left to make sure it was locked or just be able to assume that a hotel door does its function and is locked when closed, the bottom line is that this hotel has poor security measures, and I was robbed of my honeymoon and medical school graduation pictures as well as jewelry that is irreplaceable. The hotel is in a great location and does have great rooms, but they need to reevaluate their security systems and the staff they have working for them. Until the doors lock better and there are safes in the room, please be advised to take all valuables with you every time you leave the hotel.

• Stayed May 2009
5 Thank Nic123063
Erwitte, Germany
Reviewed May 5, 2009

A clean new room on the 26th floor with a view down Broad Street was our room for a private family gathering for four nights. We picked the Doubletree for it's reasonable price compared to other hotels in this location and were not disappointed.

The staff is very helpful, friendly - in one word, exceptional (and we do a lot of traveling).

We stayed with Executive privileges and must say the lounge is okay but definately not worth the extra and the coffee machine in there is terrible - save your money and join the others in the regular lounge for breakfast - which has horrible acoustics so it's loud (and we stayed during a cheerleader convention of some sort) but the service, again is super friendly and the buffett isn't bad - fairly standard.

Now, the room - was clean, well appointed and a fairly large corner room, bed new and very comfortable. Bathroom - roomy with two sinks, Neutrogena amenties. Three gripes - no room safe (hello ? who and when were these new designs planned - 1980?)....and the very loud ice machine in the hall - which is in a small side room - so maybe a door could help here ?? We also aren't partial to shower curtains but that is a personal dislike.

All in all worth staying here for the location, staff and price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
hospitalitynow, Owner Representative at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, May 24, 2009
Dear Schnapp,

I am pleased to see your overall satisfaction with the hotel and want to personally thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree Hotel while visiting Philadelphia. I do realize that you may have had many hotels to choose from, but you chose to stay with us. Thank you. I want to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences. I was delighted to read that you and your party enjoyed yourselves and found our team helpful and friendly. That is what we are striving for. I assure you that I will share your feedback with our team. There are other areas you pointed out that we should look at to further improve ourselves and we will certainly do so.

We look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future!

Sincerely

Doubletree Hotel Representative
Durham, NC
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I booked this hotel through Hotwire based on location,star-rating, and good sub-$100/night rate. I called the hotel after booking prior to my visit to inquire about our room. We were placed in a smoking room with no option for a switch (one of the potential pitfalls of going through an opaque site). Luckily, upon registration I was able to switch to a non-smoking room. This room was in between the elevators on the 21st floor. We could hear the elevators, but it didn't keep us up at night. This may be more of an issue on lower floors.

The room was newly renovated and comfortable overall. The Neutrogena toiletries and Wolfgang Puck coffee and herbal teas are a nice touch. Two complimentary bottled waters are provided with coffee machine. This is a nice contrast to other hotels that charge for in-room bottled water. I was quite pleased with shower in the room - good water pressure and temp. control. As others have mentioned, the queen-size bed seems to be a little undersized.

We found the location of the hotel to be excellent for our purposes: Phillies game Friday night and sightseeing on Saturday. Hotel is an easy walk to Suburban station to take train to and from the airport and the Broad street subway access is right at the hotel.

We had a pleasant stay and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank waxnwane
Dear Waxnwane,

I am pleased to see your overall satisfaction with the hotel and want to personally thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree Hotel while visiting Philadelphia. I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay. That is what we are striving for. I wanted you to be the first to know that we just became a Green hotel and no longer have a smoking floor. As I write to you the smoking floor, like all our other rooms is being remodeled. I am happy to let you know that the smoking room reservation experience will not happen again.

We look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future!

Sincerely