“Great location! Friendly service! Wonderful cookies!”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #34 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 14, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Doubletree from Friday to Sunday, March 11th to 13th and we had a great time exploring Philly and also at the hotel! I was worried that we would have a hard time at check in because our flight was delayed and we showed up at the hotel at 11:30 pm, but the desk was friendly and we went up to our room on the 16th floor. We were dubious at first because our room was the one right beside the 4 elevators, but there was minimal noise and we slept well the two nights. The view was very nice and the room was neat and had all the usual hotel amenitites.

Service at the hotel bar was a little long on a Friday night, but the weekend breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant, the Academy Café, was excellent. The pool is slightly small but still enjoyable, the air-jet spa and steam room was also very clean. Didn't use the exercise room but they seemed to be very well equipped with all kinds of weight, running, biking, rowing machines.

Location of the hotel was great. Walking distance to the Phlash stops, taxis passed by the hotel all the time, and near the subway also. Taxiing around the sights from the hotel would cost between $ 5 to $ 9. No hassles with the payment at the desk, friendly bellhops and handy luggage hold option for guests with later flights.

Finally, the event that made me rate this top service, when we arrived late on Friday night and checked in, we did not receive our two complimentary chocolate chip cookies which we had heard so much about. So we were disappointed about that but didn't press the point then because we were both tired from the flight. However, when checking out on Sunday we spoke with Tracy at the desk who was very nice and mentioned that they didn't have any there that morning but to go to the hotel restaurant and ask them to give us some. She also gave us each two coupons redeemable for cookies at any Doubletree hotel for future use (which would have been worthless to us because there are no Doubletrees in eastern Canada). We got the cookies from the restaurant upstairs, a little hard but very good, and went out to enjoy the St-Paddy's Day parade and the city. When we came back later in the afternoon to pick up our luggage for our flight out, we decided to try our luck and redeemed the cookie coupons at the desk and received four more warm cookies! That made our day.

I would recommend the Doubletree for the cost-concious traveller who wants to enjoy the sights of Philly, by foot, bus, subway, or taxi. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank k_buddy_98

Reviewed March 5, 2005

When my boyfriend and I stayed the weekend at the Doubletree in late February, we were pleasantly surprised by the service. First, I would suggest joining the free rewards program on the Hilton website before booking. I believe it makes all difference in the hotel's customer service and all it costs is five minutes. The rate was a reasonable $104.00 a night for a queen room. We were checked in by an efficient and very courteous employee. (We saw her checking in other guests later in the weekend and she was still very sweet. Which I think is rare in Philadelphia.)
Our queen room was quite large with a couch and two chairs. We were placed on a high floor (a request I made on the Hilton reward site) and it had two different and wonderful views of the city. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the bathroom was immaculate.
The only minus was that the hotel's complimentary wireless internet did not work in our room. We called the hotline and were told someone would have to come up and check it out. Rather than disturb our privacy we just dialed up -- and were not charged for the local call. Also, there was no mini-bar. (Which I guess is a good thing b/c do I really need to spend $5 for a can of coke?)
Overall, we both agreed that it was a great stay. We've already booked again for next month. Here's hoping they're consistent!

• Stayed: February 2005
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed January 3, 2005

We just came back from a 2 night stay for New Years Eve and New Years Day with a view of Broad Street and the Mummers Parade! The view from the room was spectacular. The staff was very nice, not one nasty person the whole two days. And this was a time of stress for the staff, since they had to keep the public out during New Years day since it was only open to the guests. I know our group was breaking a few rules, but everyone just sort of turned their heads in the spirit of the holiday and let everyone enjoy themselves. Rooms were clean, prompt maid service. We had dinner on New Years Eve in the Academy Cafe right in the hotel and it was great, no huge crowds and we really got to take our time. Location is prime. You can walk everywhere. I can't wait to go back for the same two days next year!

ruckersville va
Reviewed January 3, 2005

my husband and i stayed 2 nights at the hotel while in town for an eagles game. it was new years eve when we checked in and the hotel was pretty busy but we got checked in very quickly and got to our room. in the lobby there was a live jazz band playing and a huge beautiful christmas tree. when we got to our room we were very pleased with the gorgeous view of the city. (we were on the 23rd floor). the staff was very attentive and polite. the room was very clean. the only complaints i have are small ones. the elevators are kind of slow.. but it was a very busy weekend. the mixed drinks in the hotel bar were not that good. and the food was just average for the price... ( kind of expensive). and we could not play a game of raquet ball because there were kids running around in the court and somebody checked the equipment out and never brought it back. none the less we had a wonderful time. the location is awesome and the hotel is beautiful. we will definatly stay again.

Reviewed November 21, 2004

We had an awful experience here. The front desk checked us in under a different person's name and then sent us to the wrong room. We got a call at about 9:00 in the evening when the real person showed up, yet I still had to make two trips to the front desk to make sure that I was not being charged for the other person's room--which had originally happened. The hotel is in disarray with dirty carpets and exposed wiring in the hallways. I would not recommend this place to anyone. I can say that after my initial email complaint to Doubletree, I was refunded one night's stay for my troubles, but all in all, I would not recommend this place again, partly due to the awful condition of the facility.

Reviewed November 14, 2004

Room was very nice, staff was very very freindly. Too bad there was a college student convention going on. The place was filled with loud noises all through the night. Doors slamming all over the place and walls were thin. I'd stay again but first I would check on whats going on there that weekend,

2  Thank MarcelleM
Reviewed September 9, 2004

Our family of 4 stayed at the Doubletree for 2 nights towards the end of June 2004. The front desk staff was a bit cool and detached. Not friendly, along with the bellhops. The room on the 26th floor or so was very clean, nicely furnished, large and clean bathroom. Wonderful view. Used the swimming pool, small but adequate. Hotel in a great location for walking to sites, across the street from some tourist bus services (pick-up/drop-off points). The buffet breakfast was good. The sit-down breakfast service (either menu order or buffet) was excellent. Our waitress was the nicest member of the hotel service staff that we encountered. Hotel was also right next to a parking garage which made it easy to self-park our van for the entire stay. Hotel bar food was expensive, but a good hold-over for our daughters till supper.
Be sure to visit the Marathon Grill a 2 block walk north. Very good food. The best smoothies ever.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member