“Trip to Philadelphia and Atlantic City”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #34 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The hotel is ideally placed, central to the main attractions - all within walking distance. A good standard as you would expect from a 'higher' range hotel within the Hilton group. Comfortable, clean and the staff were very attentive. Can't comment on the food as we ate out.
A must do in 'Philly' is go up the top of City Hall for fantastic 360 degree views (you'll need a head for heights!)
Also, the market and a tour of the historical buildings are also a must - the guides were excellent, learn't a lot about America's relatively short history and its birth in 'Philly'.
Then onto Caesars in Atlantic City. Apart from the hotel and its amenities which were excellent. My wife and I wouldn't go back. Personally, we found it a 'tied' looking resort with tacky, cheap and cheerful shops on the Boardwalk. I'm afraid it didn't inspire us at all. If its gambling you want, to get a feel for what Las Vegas is all about (on a small scale), then try it, as a holiday destination - not for us. We went for a long weekend, two days there.

Room Tip: The higher the better in both hotels, to be well away from ground level noise in Philly. Caesars was...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin J
KTMurnane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay. We are so glad you enjoyed your time in Philly and made the short walk to City Hall to see the view from the top. It really is beautiful. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great location, friendly staff. Had some issues with the housekeeping but was very satisfies overall. Breakfast service is also not that great but close to everything in the city. Room view was great. Walking distance to great restaurants and bars,

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for the great review. We apologize for any inconveniences while you were at our hotel, and hope that they were resolved quickly. Be sure to come back soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Beautifully located hotel which is a short wall
K to everywhere. Kids love cookies on check in. Very nice lobby and room. My only critique is that the pool is unimpressive and in a room that is unpleasantly hot. Would stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you the great review of your recent stay. We appreciate the feedback regarding our pool, and will definitely consider improvements. Be sure to come back soon. We will have fresh chocolate chip cookies warm and ready!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is a well situated hotel with very good staff.

Check in was efficiently handled, rooms were clean with good views, bar was reasonable with friendly staff. Breakfast was ok choice, not huge and food sometimes a little cooler than some might find palatable.
Lots to see around the hotel and easily accessed from the main routes north and south.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Was disappointed that you have to pay for wi-fi, as well as breakfast. In a hotel this size, frequency of use, and cost to stay those things should be free. Otherwise the room was good, bed comfortable, the couch was horrible to sit in for more than a minute. The location was fabulous

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for the candid review of your recent stay. We appreciate the feedback, and do offer free wi-fi in all public spaces as well as to our Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond Members. Our location is definitely perfect for all of Philadelphia's best sites. Be sure to come back soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is my first terrible review for a hotel and its because the management is not kind, caring or honest. The hotel did not honor my rate, then chose to waste my time beating around the bush telling me this department had to talk to that department which had to talk to another department and in the end the problem would be corrected all to find out that once i left the hotel they told me theres nothing that can be changed. The worst part is they wasted about 30 minutes of my time daily between keys not working each night and then having me wait upon departure 30 minutes to talk to there GM who then perceeded to tell me there was some confusion and it would be solved by a simple phone call. So i called and then they said "were not honoring that goodbye".

I would not be so upset if this property was on par with other Hilton properties but its not. The business center had a note to go up to the 4th floor for fax, then the staff in the 4th floor redirected to the front desk who redirected me back to the broken/not functional fax machine. The 3rd floor had a large broken glass from the vase laying on the table and parking garage was in terrible condition as well. Again for a property with issues they shouldn't let guests leave with problems.

The front desk told this hotel is run by Hilton corporate, this property needs to have a compassionate, caring, and better trained management staff.

I have never had trouble at any hotel when it comes to honoring original reservation rates and ill never stay at this property or a double tree again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
KTPMurnane, Front Office Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Jason12D,
Dear JasonD12,
Thank you for your comments. We apologize, but are unable to respond to your concerns as we don’t have any recollection or record of the events you describe. Are you sure that you have the right hotel? Please contact us at eric.shinseki@hilton.com and we will be happy to try to ascertain and then address your issues.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed at the Doubletree Easter weekend as part of a large group, a volleyball club specifically. The hotel itself was very nice - rooms were clean, a nice pool and fitness center. It was also a short walk to the convention center.

On to the unhelpful staff....Let me start by saying I understand that they're running a business and everything has a price. That said - I asked the front desk for a space to host an easter egg hunt, have a team dinner, and present 3 awards, just an empty conference for approximately 1.5 hours in total and it could be broken up if need be. The immediate answer was no. Then the answer became you can have a space for $500. I explained to front desk agent that we are a non-profit organization looking to use a space during off hours and we do not have $500 to spare for something like this. The answer went back to no, we can't help you. I was disappointed but I accepted the answer.

One of the parents from my team seemed to have better luck and was able to secure us the executive lounge for 9:30 on Saturday night. I was very excited that we had found a space and grateful that someone had been understanding enough to work with us. I arrived early, around 9:15, to hide the easter eggs and then sat to wait for the girls and their parents to arrive. The girls arrived around 9:25 and went to sit in the upper lounge area to wait for everyone to arrive. At 9:30, security arrived telling everyone, including my group, they had to leave the space and the lounge was now closed. I asked the guard for an explaination. He said they has recieved a noise compliant and were closing the lounge. I asked to speak to a manager. I ended up speaking to three managers - William, Crystal, and another gentleman who did not have a name tag visable. William and the other gentleman had very little to say. Crystal did all the talking and was less than pleasent. She was condescending and rude. I calmly explained the situation and she had already decided that no one would be in the lounge. The parents from my team were very upset as was I. We left the space after a 30 minute conversation.

As we were checking out on Sunday morning, Crystal was onsite again and was once again less then helpful or pleasent. The hotel had billed the wrong credit cards. My group had already updated the credit card information as of Friday morning. Crystal called security as if something was going to take place that required their assistance.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed in the service at this hotel and my group will not be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
KTPMurnane, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear jmgsun,
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that the hotel was not able to accommodate your volleyball teams Easter Egg hunt on a sold out and very busy weekend. Hotel management was professional and courteous when informing your group that they were disturbing other guests trying to sleep while you conducted your “egg hunt” on a guestroom floor. We make every effort to balance the requests of individual guests with the needs of every other guest in the hotel and we apologize that in this case we were not able to meet your expectations.