“Tired and Dingy” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Washington, DC
“Tired and Dingy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

This hotel needs a complete overhaul. The lobby is dreary, tired, and dingy in appearance, even with a high ceiling, glass atrium, and large windows onto Broad Street. The room was adequate in size but had an old air conditioning unit that made a tremendous amount of noise whenever the thermostat turned it on and it remained in operation. This awakened us repeatedly during the night. The parking garage is a monstrosity. It has very narrow passageways (unsafe for 2-way traffic) and has a poorly-marked exit on the 3rd floor, which we didn't even see until we had returned to the 1-way entrance on the first floor. On a positive note, a very nice buffet breakfast (with made-to-order omelettes and waffles) was included with our Hilton Honors membership and the dining room staff was extremely friendly and courteous. We would not stay here again until there is a complete renovation.

• Liked — Room size was decent
  • Disliked — Noisy and antiquated HVAC unit
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

Nice enough hotel. I really liked the location, the parking was overpriced but you really have no choice. Our room was not ready till after 4pm which was slightly annoying. My kids loved the cookies at check in although I really dont see the point of giving out cookies.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — overpriced parking, room not ready till after 4pm
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

Stayed here on business. Very beautiful, modern hotel right on south broad street. Staff was exceedingly friendly and had warm cookies upon arrival.. Rooms were quiet, clean, large. Internet was 10.95 a day, but honors members can get free. I have zero clue of the cost of saying at this hotel, but it was exceedingly excellent. I had breakfast at the restaruant on the second floor, the buffet for 15 bucks kind of pricey, but the food was halfway decent.

• Liked — very modern and beautiful
  • Disliked — it's probably exspensive.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

For the life of me, I don't understand why this isn't a better hotel, except for classic apathy. It's not bad. But from the strong smell of mildew coming from the shower curtain, to the one of four elevator banks working during morning rush hour, to the gift shop not giving me change so I could tip a bellman, this is just the classic example of the non-customer focused hotel.

If it were customer focused, it could be great and make a lot more money. It's location in the arts district is supreme and views out of my room anyway can be superb.

Instead, when I walk into an empty restaurant for breakfast, I'm led to a tiny two top directly next to the bus boy's station with clattering plates and cups. Yes, it's one of THOSE kind of hotels.

Not awful. But not worth $200 a night. It just limps along, not really hustling to do above average. Whatever. Good enough. That's the motto of this coulda been a contender hotel.

• Stayed August 2008
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

I reserved a few rooms in June for a group going to a wedding. The hotel is lovely (I especially liked the pool and roof deck), the rooms were nice enough (although try to get one off the avenue side), and the air conditioning was great (it was a really hot weekend), and the people that worked there were helpful, but even with all that I'm honestly not sure I'd stay at a Doubletree again if I can help it. They messed up every single reservation I made, double charged me and the guests I reserved rooms for, wouldn't let them check in without my credit card even though I had arranged for them each to check themselves in and had reserved their rooms in their names. It must be their computer system because I got great service when I made the reservations and the people at the hotel were nice, too, but dealing with the reservations and the bills was a nightmare and not worth it.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank tripgirlNYC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

My husband and I live in the suburbs and we got married at City Hall in March 2005, then spent the night at the Doubletree in a Junior Suite. He used points from his Hilton membership, which could explain the excellent service we received. Unfortunately, I believe the reviews that cite unhelpful/rude service staff, only because there seems to be a lot of that in the Philadelphia area. The majority are sincerely helpful though. We received excellent service, from the champagne and strawberries that were waiting in our room to the fantastic breakfast buffet. We love the view of Broad Street - and yes, you will hear some street noise, but we are city folk and don't mind. We swam in the pool and the jaccuzzi, although the children that were there made it less than romantic.
We have celebrated our anniversary there as well. The beds are sooooo comfortable! You just sink into them. We will go again as often as we can afford the Junior Suite.

• Liked — The location and the view.
  • Disliked — The children in the jacuzzi area.
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paso Robles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

We stayed here from 5/31 to 6/7 and it was our first time in Philadelphia (we are from California) and our first visit to a Doubletree Hotel. We checked in around 10:30pm and the front desk clerk was not very friendly or informative. He did not give us any information on the Executive Club Level amenties or even bother to offer any information on the hotel, the area, etc...

We got into the room (2617) and there was a VERY strong smell of urine in the bathroom. I could not figure out where it was coming from and we were so tired after flying all day, we decided to wait until the morning to deal with it. The room was fine, nothing over the top, pretty basic and a litle "worn". We slept pretty well that night, the bedding was incredibly comfortable!

The next morning I figured out the smell of urine was coming from the shower curtain. It's a very small bathroom and the toilet is right next to the bath/shower with a cloth shower curtain. I called the Careline to report it and also filled out a form that was in the room. We left for the day and when we got back it had been taken care of.

Our room faced Broad and Locust streets and the street noise in the room was quite loud. It sounded like a window was open but it was not as we were on the 26th floor, the highest floor.

The next day I asked someone at the front desk about the Executive Club Floor perks and he handed me a paper that had all the days/times for the breakfast and evening appetizers. We took advantage of this about 3 days of the 7 days we were there and it was very nice. I'm not sure why this information wasn't offered to us at check in??

Some of the people that work at the hotel are very friendly (the bell staff and the girl tht worked in the Executive Lounge), but quite a few were not and when I asked a simple question, I was given a "curt" answer, like I was bothering them.

Based on our overall experience here, I would not stay at this hotel again or recommend it to a friend. We were paying Doubletree rates and getting low priced motel service!

• Liked — The bedding
  • Disliked — Service and noise level
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple